Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2011, 10:56   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
It is a prety common thing - and a good clean up with anything from white spirit to aftershave on the end of a coton bud usually does the trcik nicely.

Perhaps your application of WD40 didn't help very much? I'd be tempted to try cleaning again to make sure all residue of WD is got rid of.

Angus
I agree!

One thing which has not been metnioned and I've never seen suggested as a cause of these problems, it the buttons pads themselves. For information - the black bit of plastic under each button is supposed to be sufficiently conductive to short across the contacts on the PCB. Oil/ dust/ WD 40 on those would be enough to stop the buttons working, so worth taking the time to clean those too.

Wear on those same types of buttons is a common cause of TV remote controls failing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:34   #12
Andy K
Avid contributor

75 Saloon petrol 2.5

The black bits are used for the windows. Metal is used for the mirrors as it is actually powering the mirrors dirrectly.

I would take the top off the switches again, and then go back out to the car with just the bottom half and membrane. Plug it in.

Then press the nobbles for the mirror. For each dirrection there are two, and you need to press both down for the mirror to work. See if you can get any life out of the mirrors. If you can then you just need to clean it up well off the car.

DON'T PRESS UP AND DOWN AT THE SAME TIME THOUGH. OR LEFT/RIGHT

Remove any residue of WD40.

If you have time I would wash the membrane with a small amount of fairy liquid and dry well, to get rid of wd40.

Last edited by Andy K; 30th May 2011 at 14:40..
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 08:26   #13
francyboy
Regular poster

rover 75 cdt

hi all i cleaned it with brae cleaner and a few cotton buds but still no joy. there is definately power getting to the switch pack as the windows all work. i will have to try a switch pack out of scrappyard and see does it solve the problem. thanks again
francyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:45   #14
Evansabove
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE

You don't say what model of 75 you have, I am just wondering whether the basic model even had electric mirrors?? Someone may have had a new (secondhand?) switch module. If you have a multimeter you could check whether power is getting to the "live" side of the switch. Fuse 11 in the passenger compartment powers the mirrors and fuse 35 if they are also heated.

HTH

John
Evansabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 17:58   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Have your electric mirrors EVER worked.

As post above---Are you sure you have electric mirrors ??????????????

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 10:17   #16
itsadam

Rover 75 CDT Club

Cool Removing the switch..

Hi guys, can't seem to find any guide here, but how do you safely remove this switch?

Do I need to take the door panel off? Or will it just pull up?

Thanks
itsadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 10:54   #17
eric27
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Its the plug connection that goes into the mirror. The pins in there are gone by moisture.
You must make a bypass wirring and than it wil work.
I had 3 rover 75 all of them had the same problem.

Eric.
eric27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 11:32   #18
itsadam

Rover 75 CDT Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric27 View Post
Its the plug connection that goes into the mirror. The pins in there are gone by moisture.
You must make a bypass wirring and than it wil work.
I had 3 rover 75 all of them had the same problem.
Eric.
Doesn't seem correct for me, they both work fine going > Down. However to get it to work going up I have the wiggle the pad and they move up, don't go left or right though.

Just need to know if the door card control will simply "pop off" with a screw driver or if I have to attack the door card to get it out?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:42   #19
bobf
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

My electric mirrors have "frozen" before - just through not being used - sometimes some manual "help" to move each one left,right, up and down does the job, plus, holding the finger on the button.
Once you've got them working, do a weekly test to ensure they work when you need them.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 11:48   #20
itsadam

Rover 75 CDT Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
My electric mirrors have "frozen" before - just through not being used - sometimes some manual "help" to move each one left,right, up and down does the job, plus, holding the finger on the button.
Once you've got them working, do a weekly test to ensure they work when you need them.
I think it's the contacts because going up is rather hit and miss with the wiggles. I've read elsewhere that you can run a credit card around the unit and it should just pull out from there?

Will attempt later.

FYI, Tried moving them manually, they won't budge - gave em' as much pushing as I felt I could get away with, without breaking anything behind.

Also note to the guy using WD40, you crazy?

Last edited by itsadam; 21st September 2012 at 11:54..