Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th May 2016, 21:29   #1
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile Earphones.

I have bought a pair of in ear phones to use from my pc, the sound is great, but the volume controls don't work when they are plugged in to my pc, if I plug them in to my Samsung Tab, the volume controls work fine. Is this normal?. Thanks, John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 21:43   #2
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Yes, perfectly normal.

You'll find that the 3.5mm plug on your headphones is divided up into 3 sections, which are isolated from each other. Those correspond to left, right and volume control.

Standard 3.5mm plugs just have 2 sections for left and right audio, and the socket on your PC only has 2 contacts to match the "normal" 2 sections - i.e. it's missing the extra volume control contact, so it won't work.

The Samsung Tab, which is of course designed to be used with volume controlling headphones, has the extra contacts within the socket.

EDIT: If you want more detail, the Wikipedia article is very good. Reading it I realise I got my numbers mixed up - it's 3 contacts (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) on a normal 3.5mm jack (for left, right audio and polarising voltage) and 4 on a volume control jack (Tip, Ring 1, Ring 2, Sleeve - for the previous 3 plus control).

Last edited by mbonwick; 4th May 2016 at 21:47..
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 21:48   #3
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Thanks very much for that info, I didn't even know there was a difference, is there an adaptor I can buy as I can't find any of the phones I want on e.bay?. Thanks, John.
Old 4th May 2016, 21:59   #4
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

You may be able to find a USB -> 3.5mm adapter, but personally I've never seen one.

It's a bit of a pain really - as the shortcoming is with the socket on the PC rather than the headphones, it's a lot harder to get around.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 22:17   #5
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Thanks, We are going to Florida on Tuesday, I will check in Dixons duty free or failing that I will try Walmarts over there. I will post any results. Once again, thanks for the info. John.
Old 29th May 2016, 22:22   #6
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

I tried to get a set of earphones with three segments on the 3.5 jack without luck. I have a pair which have lasted for years but there is a loose wire in them, I have taped the wires up to stop them moving. I can't remember where I bought them, does anyone know where I can get a set with three segments?. I have a pair of Bluetooth phones, can I make these work with my p.c.?. Thanks, John.
Old 30th May 2016, 05:38   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
I tried to get a set of earphones with three segments on the 3.5 jack without luck. I have a pair which have lasted for years but there is a loose wire in them, I have taped the wires up to stop them moving. I can't remember where I bought them, does anyone know where I can get a set with three segments?. I have a pair of Bluetooth phones, can I make these work with my p.c.?. Thanks, John.
Have you thought about a set of USB headphones? of course the plug will be for PC and not your tablet, you will have control of volume though.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 09:36   #8
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Thanks for the tip, I will go on e.bay now. John.
Old 30th May 2016, 21:30   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

If you wanted Bluetooth and your PC doesn't have it built in, you can buy USB Bluetooth transmitters that will allow you to connect Bluetooth headphones to your computer

Or you could indeed use a USB headset as previously mentioned

Last edited by coolcat; 30th May 2016 at 21:32..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 07:40   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Yes, perfectly normal.

You'll find that the 3.5mm plug on your headphones is divided up into 3 sections, which are isolated from each other. Those correspond to left, right and volume control.

Standard 3.5mm plugs just have 2 sections for left and right audio, and the socket on your PC only has 2 contacts to match the "normal" 2 sections - i.e. it's missing the extra volume control contact, so it won't work.

The Samsung Tab, which is of course designed to be used with volume controlling headphones, has the extra contacts within the socket.

EDIT: If you want more detail, the Wikipedia article is very good. Reading it I realise I got my numbers mixed up - it's 3 contacts (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) on a normal 3.5mm jack (for left, right audio and polarising voltage) and 4 on a volume control jack (Tip, Ring 1, Ring 2, Sleeve - for the previous 3 plus control).
Hi.
Just to make this clearer.
3.5mm jack plugs conform to the following specs. mono plug, tip is signal and body signal ground.
Stereo plug. Tip, left audio. First ring, right audio. Sleeve (furthest from tip) Ground.

The 4 section 3.5mm Jack plugs are 2mm longer than the above types, they are not universal in specifications as they can be used for microphone input or even composite video.
On a sound card you need to use the standard 3.5mm stereo plug, the longer ones with four connections can damage the socket. Normally there is a way of adjusting the audio level on a PC via the sound card volume control.