Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2011, 15:11   #1
Theoldcabbie

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 75 2 litre v6 clutch, need some advice.

Hi all, I'm new to the club and would really appreciate some advice. I have a 75 v6 with only 74,000 miles on it milage is genuine, I have all the history and previous MOT's. The release bearing has started to whine although there is plenty of meat left on the clutch, I'm going to change the lot. I was a diesel fitter for 20 years so I've chucked a few clutches in in my time. I will replace the pressure plate/ friction plate and release bearing, but this new fangled flywheel is a mystery to me. Could anyone advise me on what specific issues to look for to help me decide whether to change the flywheel also. If its in good nick it seems a lot of extra money to fork out. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Theoldcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:52   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

If you don't have an issue with clutch judder & no untoward noises (like rattles) from around the bell-housing area, then the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) should be fine.

If you want to be sure, with the gearbox removed, there are specific measurements you can check with regards to freeplay.

Do a search on here & you'll find other posts on the subject.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 10:51   #3
Theoldcabbie

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Ta muchly

Thanks for your response, the clutch behaves very well, no judder, no rattling, and like I say there seems to be plenty of meat left on it. The release bearing however does whine when the pedal is depressed, I think it has dried out as this car has been sat in a garage for TWO YEARS. I will have a good look at the flywheel when the bellhousing is open, but I feel it will probably be ok. (Famous last words) Many thanks.
Theoldcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote