Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th November 2011, 22:59   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Coolant leak, or not

Hi all, just to return to the old "losing coolant" topic.........
I have a 1.8 Petrol Tourer. Over the last couple of months I realized I'd been losing some coolant as the level is down below the expansion tank after using for a week on local type runs (not that I do many).

I have just done a trip down to Devon and Cornwall from here near Heathrow, the whole mileage over the four days being 599 miles.

Whilst down there and with the extra bottles of water on board I checked the levels a couple of times, nothing lost. On arrival home, after a suitable period to allow cooling, checked and found still no loss of coolant.

Yesterday, on going to get the MOT, successfully, checked the levels, and it took about a pint and half.

I cannot find any leak, and there is no regular drip from the pump and no damp in the car, any ideas? Oh, it has had a head gasket done two years ago, and there is no change in the oil.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 01:27   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Had similar, short local trips = weekly cup full top-up, longer drive, no water loss.
Fitted coolant sensor 2 weeks ago and took opportunity to change all hose clips to Jubilee, only when dismantled was seepage seen, (mainly from smaller pipes) as heat evaporates lost fluid, no loss at all since.

Seems frequent stop start/ short trips and difference in expansion/contraction of different materials may be cause when cooling down.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:01   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Had similar, short local trips = weekly cup full top-up, longer drive, no water loss.
Fitted coolant sensor 2 weeks ago and took opportunity to change all hose clips to Jubilee, only when dismantled was seepage seen, (mainly from smaller pipes) as heat evaporates lost fluid, no loss at all since.

Seems frequent stop start/ short trips and difference in expansion/contraction of different materials may be cause when cooling down.
Chips
Many thanks Chips, i'll have a closer look again.
Old 7th March 2012, 04:44   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

S'mee again, with reference to my loss of coolant. I have eventually traced it (I think) to the rear corner of the block, behind the pump, but a couple of inches along the joint of the block. If I were to use "Radweld" would it affect the thermostat and other parts adversely?
Old 7th March 2012, 08:53   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Personally I wouldn't put Radweld anywhere near a K Series engine. A common leak point is the inlet manifold gasket, so worth replacing - they are only few quid. Payen ones are recommended.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 10:45   #6
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

I've had a small regular leak for some while, fitted coolant sensor and while at it changed all hose clips, no different, fitted Gerry T, no different, Monday changed IMG and rocker box gasket (small oil weep) - now covered 15 miles in short trips with cooling in between (where coolant was originally lost) and - no top-ups required so far.

Would appear IMG was culprit, not always easy to see leak as evaporates, and not best of places to see stains if any were there.

Gasket low cost from Europarts (and others) and fitted in less than an hour, good sense to start low cost items and work up.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 11:46   #7
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
I've had a small regular leak for some while, fitted coolant sensor and while at it changed all hose clips, no different, fitted Gerry T, no different, Monday changed IMG and rocker box gasket (small oil weep) - now covered 15 miles in short trips with cooling in between (where coolant was originally lost) and - no top-ups required so far.

Would appear IMG was culprit, not always easy to see leak as evaporates, and not best of places to see stains if any were there.

Gasket low cost from Europarts (and others) and fitted in less than an hour, good sense to start low cost items and work up.
Chips
Yes, some evaporate, and some might leak to the combustion chambers and is, largely, "burnt" off. If not, can be seen as vapor/mayonnaise on the inside of the oil filler cap on a warm/hot engine.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 11:50   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Hi all, just to return to the old "losing coolant" topic.........
I have a 1.8 Petrol Tourer. Over the last couple of months I realized I'd been losing some coolant as the level is down below the expansion tank after using for a week on local type runs (not that I do many).

I have just done a trip down to Devon and Cornwall from here near Heathrow, the whole mileage over the four days being 599 miles.

Whilst down there and with the extra bottles of water on board I checked the levels a couple of times, nothing lost. On arrival home, after a suitable period to allow cooling, checked and found still no loss of coolant.

Yesterday, on going to get the MOT, successfully, checked the levels, and it took about a pint and half.

I cannot find any leak, and there is no regular drip from the pump and no damp in the car, any ideas? Oh, it has had a head gasket done two years ago, and there is no change in the oil.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...t+engine+cured

And before that, I had a T-piece gone, thereafter a water pump. I was thus sure that the rest of the loss came from inside the engine.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:28   #9
mikesmith2
Loves to post

None

I had a similar issue on a BMW and that turned out to be the expansion tank cap.

As these seem to use the same type of cap it could be that.
mikesmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 00:08   #10
Roverjoe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Litre saloon petrol

For six months thought I had a coolant leak, always having to top up with water.
Bought the correct coolant (red stuff which you dilute with water) have not had to top up in three months.
Still checking though just in case.
Roverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote