Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2017, 11:19   #21
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I think that a 300 mile range makes electric cars quite usable for most people. Like it or not I think that within the next half a decade electric cars will start to become the norm and the internal combustion engine will be a threatened species, however for us petrol heads that's a very good thing as it will leave more fuel for us to use and once electric cars become dominant the government will focus less on taxing petrol cars out of existence and more on making money out of electric ones!
Yes the current crop of electric cars make a good alternative for many people. They have been around since the 1830's, and battery technology was always the thing that kept them in the background until recently.

They were very successful for local deliveries though - I used to see fleets of them at the Dairies I worked in back in the day.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 27th March 2017 at 11:47..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 11:29   #22
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
I'm going to have to respectfully ask.....are you crazy?!!!!! Are you seriously trying to tell me that this:

Looks like this:

I mean, granted they both have 4 wheels and some seats but other then that they're about as similar as a ZT is to this:
I think when we get to a certain age "all cars look the same to me, not like in my day ..." (my Dad keeps saying this mantra). I try to point out the finer points of car design, but it's lost on some...

To me, without the grille it does not look Jag (trad or otherwise) at all. Maybe that's the point - separate more futuristic vision of a jag?
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 11:42   #23
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to have to respectfully ask.....are you crazy?!!!!! Are you seriously trying to tell me that this:

Looks like this:

I mean, granted they both have 4 wheels and some seats but other then that they're about as similar as a ZT is to this:

That Allegro has a modern day twin though... Audi A1!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 12:00   #24
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The wonders of modern technology - only 90 minutes for an 80% charge and a range of 248 miles.

Takes me all of 2 minutes to completely fill the tank and then it is good for another 600 miles.

Still that's progress for you, and it is a cracking looking car.
Yeah, but I guess like me most people don't regularly drive 600 miles in one trip....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Fantastic car! How can you leave a deposit when no prices are available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
As prices are to start from £60K, so it should be!
Ahh, but deposit before price? is this a kickstarter campaign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
In the link you posted Jaguar claimed a range of 310+ miles, and an 80% battery recharge in 90 minutes.

80% of 310 is 248 miles - great if you never go further than 100 or so miles from home, but pretty much useless in my line of work.
You must really clock up some mileage Mike.

Quote:

Looks like this:

I mean, granted they both have 4 wheels and some seats but other then that they're about as similar as a ZT is to this: <ugly(est) car deleted>

Just the bottom one took some pills didn't it? That rules it out of the olympics then.... They should have made it look similar to an XKR.

Sure they're different but a lot more common design features there than the standard car formula of 4 wheels, windscreens and lights.

Just one question .... Why make it look a normal Internal combustion engined turbo car with top and bottom front grills???

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 12:06   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
That Allegro has a modern day twin though... Audi A1!
And remember too the jokes about the quartic steering wheel? Now hyper and super cars have a similar design.

sent from my ZT

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 13:39   #26
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Yeah, but I guess like me most people don't regularly drive 600 miles in one trip....

Ahh, but deposit before price? is this a kickstarter campaign...

Just the bottom one took some pills didn't it? That rules it out of the olympics then.... They should have made it look similar to an XKR.

Sure they're different but a lot more common design features there than the standard car formula of 4 wheels, windscreens and lights.

Just one question .... Why make it look a normal Internal combustion engined turbo car with top and bottom front grills???
Because batteries and HVAC systems still need cooling. And the best supply of cooling air is at the front.

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 13:45   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
Because batteries and HVAC systems still need cooling. And the best supply of cooling air is at the front.
Brake cooling and aerodynamics also

sent from my ZT

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 14:46   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

Pretty much - my nearest work place is 115 miles away, and the furthest (by car) was just over 600 miles. Didn't always do that in one day though - often used to rest up around half way in the Lake District on the way back. There was a very nice hotel on the shores of lake Windemere.

It was that or drive down to Birmingham and club it in Pulse (now sadly long gone). Happy days.

To be honest I think a 300 mile range is perfectly acceptable as long as you can refill in a few minutes. Having to wait an hour and a half before setting off again though, not so good.

Currently the infrastructure isn't in place to get your current that easily either, but I'm sure things will improve as more electric cars are registered on the roads.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 09:49   #29
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Half an hour to refill isn't too bad, by the time you've had a coffee and something to eat it would be done. Remember you also don't have to wait for the full time if you've only got say 100 miles left and you can plug in when you get home.

The infrastructure and battery technology will improve and the good news is that as most electric cars are modular you'll be able to replace the battery pack should a new super technology become available. By contrast if you buy a new regular car now and a killer battery technology comes out there isn't much you can do to make use the new batteries.

Of course in 2017 it's not for everyone however even now it's only a problem for a very small minority of people who regularly drive more then 300 miles in one go and even then it's not a deal breaker, just a minor inconvenience. It's also going to vastly improve the quality of life for anyone that lives in a built up area or near a big road, for those people life is about to become a lot quieter and cleaner!