Notices

Old 3rd March 2017, 07:03   #11
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Lag will be at least as pronounced as the Nikon in good light and worse in low light.

Learn to anticipate the shutter lag, additionally, pre focus the camera to the area you want to take the shot (generally when posing dogs etc, you know roughly where they will pass) then switch it to manual focus.

Likewise, when using the viewfinder, follow the dog (panning) with the shutter half pressed, keeping it half pressed, and still following the dog, then follow through with pressing the button when you want the shot.

The alternative is a compact system type camera. They will be faster (Panasonic and Sony models used to be the fastest of these type, not sure now though)

For speed, and continuous shooting, I would recommend working around the live view though, you will get more and better results.
Excellent advice Alan for working around the problem. I'd be looking at getting to know the Nikon better and practicing the camera set up for the shot with ISO, aperture, white balance and shutter speeds adjustments, then taking several practice shots to get the desired image result.

The mirrorless cameras clearly have advantages over the DSLR range. They are lighter. I have seen excellent images produced by Teflon and Rocket in their posts. The mirrorless also have cons. For example take the Sony A6000

http://jacquesgaines.com/10-cons-abo...ng-sony-a6000/

I have considered getting a mirrorless cam as a no 3, for use in wildlife photography, but find the available lenses for long distance are too restrictive in comparison to the hundreds available for a DSLR. I expect in the course of time, more lenses will be produced for consumer and professional use
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:28   #12
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

I have an Olympus OMD EM5 Mark 2. Great compact camera lots of lens choices and a confusing but in time, after some learning, fantastic customisable menu system. Don't knock em for not being full frame by the way. Unless you want wall sized prints they are perfect. Easy to carry and lenses are compact also. When I go on hols etc I simply do not want to be lugging around a huge lump of a camera. Fits the bill perfectly
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:45   #13
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I have an Olympus OMD EM5 Mark 2. Great compact camera lots of lens choices and a confusing but in time, after some learning, fantastic customisable menu system. Don't knock em for not being full frame by the way. Unless you want wall sized prints they are perfect. Easy to carry and lenses are compact also. When I go on hols etc I simply do not want to be lugging around a huge lump of a camera. Fits the bill perfectly

Indeed Olympus make some fantastic micro 4/3 cameras I was going to mention the Olympus OM-D E-M10 II as an option. micro 4/3 cameras are really good these days with a large, high quality lens selection available.

As I have said before all cameras have pros and cons. For shooting dogs with flippy screen I would choose mirrorless. For some other tasks a DSLR may well be better.

For the shooting I do my a6000 does really well and I would not swap it for a DSLR at twice the price ( I love the EVF with all the information displayed and the fact you see the exact picture you will get when you press the button). if I was going on safari shooting fast action at long range I would prefer a DSLR . I can also understand people who say they like the feel and interface of DSLR or the longer battery life etc. etc.

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 3rd March 2017 at 08:14..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:00   #14
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Actually I had an OMD EM-10 II before. Got the EM5 for the weatherproofing and a fully articulated screen. OMD EM10 was equally as good by the way. Nice retro look as well if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:21   #15
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Actually I had an OMD EM-10 II before. Got the EM5 for the weatherproofing and a fully articulated screen. OMD EM10 was equally as good by the way. Nice retro look as well if you are into that sort of thing.
Price was my only reason for choosing the OMD EM-10 II. That EM5 looks great.

Old 3rd March 2017, 08:41   #16
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

And just to finish my Olympus journey it all started with the Olympus Stylus 1 which is even more compact. F2.8 28mm-300 built in lens. Fantastic camera, fits in your coat pocket. Took some great photos with that. Much smaller sensor but again for most purposes perfectly adequete. Attached is a photo of a cat taken in Spain. Jeff Coolcat should like this one. Compressed a bit for purposes of this site. Note this was taken as a 3 exposure bracket HDR shot - this function also built into the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malaga Cat.jpg (151.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:48   #17
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Nice pic I am sure Jeff will like that one.

Here is a DSLR v Mirrorless guide that seems fair. Of course you get get good and not so good DSLRs and good and not so good mirrorless cameras.

I only suggested the mirrorless option because of the the dog shots using rear screen problem. Each photographic scenario could start a whole new discussion on DSLR v mirrorless or camera A v camera B

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/dslr-vs-...ews-17736.html

Last edited by Rocket; 3rd March 2017 at 08:59..
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:30   #18
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
And just to finish my Olympus journey it all started with the Olympus Stylus 1 which is even more compact. F2.8 28mm-300 built in lens. Fantastic camera, fits in your coat pocket. Took some great photos with that. Much smaller sensor but again for most purposes perfectly adequete. Attached is a photo of a cat taken in Spain. Jeff Coolcat should like this one. Compressed a bit for purposes of this site. Note this was taken as a 3 exposure bracket HDR shot - this function also built into the camera.

That got me thinking of a Pro that uses Olympus cameras, and it turns out he uses an EM5 I like watching his videos and thought it may interest you. The work he produces with that EM5 is way better than I could get with a £3000 camera of my choice.

http://www.gavtrain.com/

His camera and lenses http://www.gavtrain.com/?page_id=1357

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/thegavinhoey/

Last edited by Rocket; 3rd March 2017 at 10:32..
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:03   #19
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

As it is pouring with rain and I am indoors this morning I had a read about Nikon live view. I also tried my 2010 Pentax DSLR, the Pentax worked quite well in live view. The pentax would find focus and fire really quickly using the rear screen. Others have reported poor live view performance from Nikons 5100, 5300 and 5500 range. It may well be that Canon performs better for what you are wanting. - More research needed.

Old 3rd March 2017, 13:32   #20
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Some interesting points well made gents, and also some good links

Does sound as though a mirrorless would probably have been a better bet with our intended usage (dog photos) Having said that, not going to give up on the D5500 just yet. It would be ironic if the Canon 750D might have been better speedwise, as the choice between which to finally go for, that or the Nikon, was only determined by what I could find available at the right price first....

Guessing I could still get my money back if I do decide to sell the Nikon..