Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th October 2016, 11:27   #1
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Default Engine Bay Cleaning

I'm a bit of polisher (more than a mechanic) and the 75 is slowly getting up to scratch, but at 14 and 115k the engine bays a bit grubby.

Now on my older stuff I just douse it all in engine cleaner and jet-wash it (covering over the inlet of course) but as the 75 is my first "NEW" car (purchased with my own cash) I am a little wary of getting water everywhere in case it ends up broken.

Its a diesel auto.

Thanks I advance.
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 13:17   #2
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I used and still use a plastic shine aerosol product sprayed onto a microfibre cloth. Be prepared to dispose of the cloths afterward giving the engine bay a first clean. The engine cover is easily removeable with an 8mm socket for cleaning, the battery box lid and fuse box cover are also removeable for cleaning.

I used a dremel, metal polish and Autosol to shine the air con pipes, I have painted the engine cover, battery box lid and fusebox cover and fitted a stainless steel plate on the fusebox lid.

I used heatproof paint on the coolant expansion tank with a glitter effect applied, the other covers were all painted using plastic primer, flatted back, multiple coats of BRG paint, followed by a coat of glitter spray and several coats of acrylic lacquer which is oil and petrol resistant. This makes cleaning and polishing of the engine bay even easier now. I just use a waterless wash on the painted covers.

I also removed the insulation panel and painted the underside of the bonnest as this was very tatty.and rubbing on the air con pipes, engine cover and battery box lid.

Here are some photos the last photo shows the engine bay clean before painting.

Last edited by Nev The Bear; 24th October 2016 at 16:08..
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 15:39   #3
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Wow that's stunning, and a 07 plate too, I admire your attention to detail, I think I would be happy with it just clean and tidy

Was your engine filthy when you got it? mine is!
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 16:04   #4
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspencer View Post
Wow that's stunning, and a 07 plate too, I admire your attention to detail, I think I would be happy with it just clean and tidy

Was your engine filthy when you got it? mine is!
The engine bay on my ZTT was not too bad when I bought it, but even so quite a lot of dirt came off, once I started cleaning the engine bay. It was mainly dust from the insulation pabel and general dirt. It was more the areas not immediately visible.that were dirty.

The other thing I changed were the slam panel bolts as the originals were rusty, so I replaced them with stainless steel fixings which if I remember correctly you can obtain from one of the traders on the forum called DMGRS.

I was quite lucky to find an 07 plate car, my ZTT was built 16th November 2004 and was built for export to Germany, but apparently ended up being a cancelled order which might explain how it ended up as an 07 plate.

Last edited by Nev The Bear; 24th October 2016 at 16:10..
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote