Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th October 2016, 00:03   #1
Ascen
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Abs

I had the issue of the ABS grinding effect when lightly braking at slow speeds, and my speedo was a little irratic, so I determined it was the driver side front ABS cable.

Had fun replacing that today, completely stuck inside... drill, screwdriver, hammer and a couple hours later I managed to remove it all (I think, I hope) and fitted the new cable.

Every time I pressed the brake the grinding effect happened! On the main road the ABS light kicked in and also my speedo was only hovering at 40 when was doing 60. Although the brakes were fine after the light came on, so I assume the whole thing was disabled.

Is there something in particular that may have gone wrong? or may it just be a dodgy cable?
Ascen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 12:49   #2
Ascen
Regular poster

MG ZT

Update
I had a second look and it seems there's a bit of plastic from the old sensor which had fallen behind and into the wheel.

Would this be the cause of the issue, or does it pick the signal from the side? In which case the new sensor may be at fault.
Old 15th October 2016, 14:54   #3
Ascen
Regular poster

MG ZT

New sensor fitted, I also removed 2 bits of plastic debris down where the sensor fits and rotating the wheel.

Still same issue.

There may still be some debris left in there, but none is appearing anymore as I am rotating the wheel so they may be stuck at the bottom. What is the approach to get access into here?

Or could it be something else?
Old 15th October 2016, 17:46   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Mark; I'm replacing an ABS wheel sensor at the moment as well. I believe that to get full access the hub needs to be separated from the driveshaft. However I'm not entirely convinced that the symptoms you describe point to a wheel sensor. I think that in your shoes I would seek the diagnostic assistance of a T4.

Simon
Old 15th October 2016, 20:50   #5
Ascen
Regular poster

MG ZT

ABS sensor disconnected and the symptoms vanish, except speedo is completely gone of course.

The symptoms got worse since I replaced the ABS cable which leads me to believe the original sensor was at fault, but now due to the difficulty of removal the fault lies elsewhere. ie the debris left behind.

I've read around and seems worst case scenario the wheel bearing will need replacing. Will check the fault codes tomorrow.
Old 15th October 2016, 20:56   #6
max1
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer cdt

I recently cured my abs problem after many months, by replacing the complete hub assembly.
However prior to this I had an abs light on and speedo failure, so replaced the drivers side sensor by drilling out the old sensor. In doing this, the last little bit of the sensor dropped into the bearing.
I replaced the sensor and immediately had the abs operating at low speed, but with no warning light. A week later the abs failed, warning light on, and no speedo ( again ).

I again removed the sensor, this time by extracting it complete, and fitted a new one.
Still warning light on and no speedo, at this point I decided to replace the hub assembly with a known working replacement. Now done and all working.

On inspecting the removed hub, it would appear that the small piece that dropped into the bearing, had , after fitting a new sensor, became trapped between the sensor and the magnetic ring.
This small piece in a very short space of time, had worn away totally the soft magnetic ring.
Also, as the sensor detects the ring from the side of the sensor, and not the tip, as I always thought, I don't think the issue arises about how far the sensor sits into the bearing, as long as it is seated flat.

My advice would be to always try to extract on old sensor complete, and avoid any contamination of the bearing.

Hope this may help anyone with abs problems.
max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 00:46   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Mark.
Pics of the two below for you, nice to know when I saw you yesterday that the hub and sensor are working as they should still after your holidays
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17701.jpg (131.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17712.jpg (136.7 KB, 48 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 06:04   #8
max1
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer cdt

Thanks Steve, it will make my post make more sense with the photos.
max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 07:49   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen View Post
ABS sensor disconnected and the symptoms vanish, except speedo is completely gone of course.
With any sensor disconnected your ABS system would shut down wouldn't it? Does that prove that the OSF sensor is at fault?

Simon
Old 26th October 2016, 16:08   #10
Porkpie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Any updates on this?
I too have the same problem but my speedo works.
Porkpie is offline   Reply With Quote