Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2009, 21:28   #1
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts
Default Corsa by name Corse by nature!!

I'm driving down to Manchester tomorrow and then on to Doncaster on Thursday so I thought I'd drive. Now the company insist on a hire car for such journeys so off I trundled to pick it up. Every other time I've had Astra's rough but OK. today I got a ......................Corsa

It doesn't half make you appreciate the 75
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 21:37   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Let's hope it's not one of those delightful 3 cylinder fellows
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 21:54   #3
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Had one as I hire car and didn't find it too bad.
It didn't have any toys and I didn't have a long drive to worry about though.
I found a Megane to be worse than a Corsa
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:01   #4
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Last time I drove one was about 6 years ago. I was flying from Luton to Edinburgh and had a car booked to go from there to Knockhill for the BTCC. As it always happens when you just need to get somewhere, a couple of drivers decided that dealing with insurance companies is such fun they crashed into each other on the M1 at J10. So I missed my flight. Along with a lot of other people. Squeezyjet had no other flights from Luton to Edinburgh that day, but if I was quick I could go to gatwick and use my ticket there, they said. So I did, with The Beloved soothing my furrowed brow as we crawled then belted then crawled round the M25. Checked in, got on the plane and fell asleep.

Except that we didn't reach Edinburgh......

As we flew over the Lake District the pilot informed us that Edinburgh was fog-bound and he couldn't land there as he had "never actually landed this type of plane before". Now I think I know what he meant but he didn't half explain it badly. So we were going to land at Glasgow International instead. Which is a rather quaint little airport - been there a few times nd the staff are great. So I didn't panic. Until I remembered I had a hire car waiting for me at Edinburgh. Oh dear.

So we all get off the plane and while everyone else waits for their bags I go straight to the hire car desk round the corner, grab the last one they have available while they very kindly cancel the Mondeo I had waiting for me at Edinburgh. Now when the chap was looking at his screen I could have sworn he said Mercedes E-Class, which I was quite looking forward too for the trip. sadly when I got the key I quickly realised it was going to something a lot smaller.

A Corsa. 1.2 litres of tarmac rippling power. Not.

So in the early evening of a Saturday in late August I was concentrating hard on remembering that this car really didn't have the poke or the grip of The Beloved, while trying to figure out how to get the air con to stop misting up the windscreen, why the seat didn't let me set the back to where I damn well wanted it and why the radio was hell bent on only letting me listen to something in French. But as the miles rolled under the wheels and I passed over the Forth Road Bridge and into open country I found it wasn't a bad little car. A bit loud yes. Slow, oh crikey yes. But it had a certain charm, even if it did understeer horrendously and had monumental gaps between each gear. Plus it gave me back ache veru quickly. But I just got used to it and eventually reached the little pub where I had booked a room for the night, had a gorgeous steak meal and binged a few pints ready for my 6am alarm call the next day to get to Knockhill.

So that's my Corsa story. Got there in the end

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:02   #5
g-mac
Gets stuck in

ZT 190+

i drove my sisters pals brand spanking new 1.6 diesel mini! VERY impressed, wouldnt be much of a male iconic car though very smooth and full of cool gadjets
g-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 20:02   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Just back, still not impressed
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote