Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2009, 11:43   #1
RCR37
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Default CR213X head unit removal from plastic surround

Recently purchased a ZT CDTi (56 plate). The radio code is being asked for and there is no paperwork to tell me what it is. I've seen the threads which suggest the code might be on the chassis so I've removed the unit following the forum instructions. But how do you remove all the plastic & black metal surround which comes with the CR213X head unit (silver bit)? Does it pull out from the back or from the front? The front plastic facia seems to be in two parts - does this have to be separated to remove the head unit?

I'm thinking of replacing this head unit with something more modern - but I want the steering wheel volume controls to still function. The Sony CDX-GT530UI has caught my attention - has anyone got experience of fitting one of these and does it require any extra connectors/adapters? I'd like to get away from using music CD's in the car and would prefer to use an ipod or MP3 player device instead. I'd like to remove the CD auto changer in the boot - is there something else I could put there instead? Or is it better to just scrap it and have my MP3 head unit instead?

Cheers

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1104.JPG (110.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1105.JPG (93.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1106.JPG (110.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1107.JPG (73.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by RCR37; 1st August 2009 at 13:48..
RCR37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 22:04   #2
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

there is a metal cage holding the unit, look at the first pic and you will see 2 clips, just push them in both sides and the unit will come out from the front

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 1st August 2009 at 22:26..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:55   #3
RCR37
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

But the unit looks wider at the back (silver bit) than the front panel of the head unit - which made me think the unit either comes out from the back or the front surround is in two pieces and needs to be separated to allow the bigger back end to come through the front.

Martin
PS. I'll ask a few people at Gaydon today.......
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:39   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

There are two different fascias, yours looks like the 2 piece one - is there a screw on either side of the unit which when removed you then have to move 2 locating lugs out of the way. The front may then come off to allow radio removal.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:44   #5
RCR37
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Yes it turns out mine is the two piece facia. Two screws at the back need to be removed then the two sections of facia can be prised gently apart with a screwdriver. The standard radio removal prongs can be inserted from the front to remove the unit from the second rear facia section. See pics attached.
Last picture shows prongs inserted correctly for removal of unit from facia.

Martin
PS. No radio code - just serial numbers - but hopefully this will be enough to obtain the code - even if I don't end up using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1113b.JPG (63.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1114b.JPG (68.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1117b.JPG (67.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1118b.JPG (39.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1119b.JPG (84.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by RCR37; 2nd August 2009 at 21:47..
Old 9th August 2009, 08:28   #6
RCR37
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Default Who makes the CR213X head unit?

Who makes the CR213X head unit? If I replace it with the same manufacturer (a more modern unit) would this make it easier to fit? ie., would the connectors be the same?

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.JPG (122.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg front.JPG (73.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1465b.JPG (118.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by RCR37; 9th August 2009 at 15:10..
Old 10th August 2009, 18:41   #7
billcoleman
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

The original head unit fitted to my car was a very similar looking one except it had a CD drive. Mine was made by VDO Dayton. I have now replaced it with a VDO MS4400 navigation radio. It seems to be a fairly good unit as the saound is good and it interfaces to an aux amp etc, but I cannot find out how to connect it to the steering controls. There are connections (same mini ISO black as the previous radio), but I just cannot get any answers on how to make it work.

Bill C
billcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 19:40   #8
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR37 View Post
Who makes the CR213X head unit? If I replace it with the same manufacturer (a more modern unit) would this make it easier to fit? ie., would the connectors be the same?

Martin

The maker of the CR213X is VDO.

Nearly all radios with ISO connectors will work ok in your ZT but without steering wheel control.

The steering wheel contol wires are in the green mini iso connector [in the block of three blue/green/yellow].
The only radios that will fully function without alteration to your wiring are MG Rover branded VDO and Ivox units.

If you want to fit a Sony headunit you will have to fit an interface unit to enable the steering wheel controls.

Have a look at this site..

http://www.incartec.co.uk/assets/fil...ol%2004091.pdf

Dave T

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:41   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Sorry to revive an 8 year old thread but proves I'm searching, not just asking.

I have the same VDO radio in my ZTT and want to replace it with a modern single din unit. I ordered a single-din bezel with realising that it's not got the little top-cubby-hole feature which I like.

Is there a way i can reuse the existing facia with a single-din radio? Perhaps enlarge it with a Dremmel?
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote