Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2017, 00:03   #1
RC1407

Rover 75 1.8 connoisseur se

Default Think "Reg" is dead.....

Hi everyone... I need some help and some sound advice..

I have a 75 2004 with 123800 miles on the clock.

Monday I had taken it into the garage into have its heater matrix flushed as it only produced Luke warm air out of the heater..

Fast forward a few hours get a call from the garage saying he's done the flush but it looked like there was no water in the radiator and he suspects that the head gasket has gone and now seems to be miss firing and the engine management light has come on..

I later pick the car up and sure enough there is a Miss fire and engine management light is on.. I've tried to look my self at the signs of a head gasket blowing like white smoke or mayo on the filler cap but nothing.

I have the cover off to where the sparks plugs are located and just go about checking to see if one of them had become loose to cause the miss fire but found on number 4 there was a water/oil mix down the spark plug tube..

I'm not sure where this could of come from plus the garage has said that to replace the head gasket it would cost around £500.. my dilemma is it bought the car last year for £500 and it has over 123k miles is it worth repairing or should I send him to the car grave yard in the sky?

Many thanks for reading this and hope for a reply or two

RC
RC1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:21   #2
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Not a mechanic but read enough threads on here about garages jumping to conclusions regarding 'phantom' head gasket failures.
First.... don't panic!
Secondly .... I spilt oil down the sparky holes on my 416 and the garage sorted it out cheaply and quickly.
I'm sure someone who knows what's up with yours will be in touch.

The head gasket went twice on my 416 before they put a thicker gasket on. Been fine since.
But symptoms are ..... driving along hear a knocking sound..... knocking gets more urgent ..... pull up and steam comes from under the bonnet, also temp gauge is off the chart. (banging is coolant boiling )

Last edited by Dragrad; 23rd February 2017 at 01:43.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 07:11   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1407 View Post
Hi everyone... I need some help and some sound advice..

I have a 75 2004 with 123800 miles on the clock.

Monday I had taken it into the garage into have its heater matrix flushed as it only produced Luke warm air out of the heater..

Fast forward a few hours get a call from the garage saying he's done the flush but it looked like there was no water in the radiator and he suspects that the head gasket has gone and now seems to be miss firing and the engine management light has come on..

I later pick the car up and sure enough there is a Miss fire and engine management light is on.. I've tried to look my self at the signs of a head gasket blowing like white smoke or mayo on the filler cap but nothing.

I have the cover off to where the sparks plugs are located and just go about checking to see if one of them had become loose to cause the miss fire but found on number 4 there was a water/oil mix down the spark plug tube..

I'm not sure where this could of come from plus the garage has said that to replace the head gasket it would cost around £500.. my dilemma is it bought the car last year for £500 and it has over 123k miles is it worth repairing or should I send him to the car grave yard in the sky?

Many thanks for reading this and hope for a reply or two

RC
You don't mention if your engine is a 1.8 K .

I had exactly the same problem with my 1.8. Originally taken into garage to look at a fluctuating temp gauge. A new thermostat, along with a radiator flush. I too had no mayo in the cap, white smoke etc.

The garage notified me they were unable to vacuum the cooling system up, so not able to sort air locks etc. No other leaks, so the diagnosis was HGF, head gasket failure.

I sought help here, and a kind mod gave me details of a highly recommended mechanic in Durham.

Before I could contact him, my SO informed me he had authorised the garage to proceed, and they were in the process of lifting the head,Doh !!

The dilemma I would have had was already decided. The bill was going to be £750, reduced to £650 as a new cam belt and water pump had been fitted two months earlier.

Add on the fact that we had just taxed and insured the car in January swung it really. Yes, a 52 plate 1.8 won't sell for £750, but we needed to factor in how valuable it is to us. The car looks, and drives great, and I love 75's

With the modified head gasket now fitted, everything should be fine with the care re coolant problems.

But, as with anything, your own situation will decide what you do.

Good luck !! Would like to add it was done at Rovetec in Stockton, over 30 years experience of Rovers.

Last edited by BoroRover; 23rd February 2017 at 11:47..
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:16   #4
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I don't understand why all that would suddenly happen once it was at the garage? I think I would be questioning what had been going on. Garages that don't know these cars, or choose not to for their own gain are in abundance. All you get is, its a Rover, its rubbish - ergo a large bill. I think they're crafty devils!

is there not a club "expert" close enough to you to get a second opinion and if it is HGF at least done properly?

Last edited by Dawn; 23rd February 2017 at 12:29..
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:32   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

is there not a club "expert" close enough to you to get a second opinion and if it is HGF at least done properly?
Trikey?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:58   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Trikey?
Took the words out of my mouth

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 18:19   #7
RC1407

Rover 75 1.8 connoisseur se

hi guys...

the other day I picked my car up after being at the garage where it developed a miss fire and became un driveable.. and the garage said it would cost over £500 to fix as they think it's the head gasket that's gone..

so I left it to think what to do because of the miles of the car and age.

just been looking at my car I decided to have a look at the spark plugs and there was water/oil down the tubes and sludgie I've spend about an hour cleaning them putting kitten roll down there to soak the oil/water up and cleaned all the HT lead and put everything back together and started it and it breathed into life with no miss fire but the engine warning light still on.. tuck it for a drive and it was fine..

my question is if the head gasket had gone and I had still cleaned it would I still have the miss fire could it be the rocket cover gasket ???

RC
RC1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 18:53   #8
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Goes into a garage for a heater matrix flush: comes out with a miss fire and no water in the rad and a HGF. Hmm!

I wonder when the "no water in the radiator" bit happened???????
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 19:10   #9
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

This is why I never take my car into a garage,unless I know them well.

if I cant do it myself I would call on one of the good guys on this club site. to do the work.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 20:41   #10
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Get one of the experts on the forum to have a look at it for you. There should be one nearby to you.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote