Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2017, 21:50   #21
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I can understand what you mean as 14,000 is not rarely used. 14,000 is not really that high either. If it was me - If I like it I'd keep it but I could understand you feeling miss-sold.

On a similar theme - modern cameras can easily achieve 10 frames per sec and some can run at that rate for maybe 100 pics. So in 10 secs you can take 100 pics. Using those cameras in that manner will soon get the shutter count up. That said - some modern cameras can use an electronic shutter and the mechanical shutter does not get used at all. Bit of useless info there

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 23rd February 2017 at 22:00..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 04:56   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I agree with Paul, if you like the camera then keep it. The points he makes are all valid. I have taken over 50,000 photos shared between the Nikon and the Canon over 7 years, they soon build up. It's worth checking all the other functions and the cameras performance, do some test shots. Action, low light, time lapse etc
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 18:18   #23
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for the thoughts chaps!

As said before, a little bit of a quandary: The camera seems good, but I do feel a little cheated as I don't really think it's as described. I guess it's semantics really, as the seller could contest that "rarely used" is not the same as "barely used" - the former could mean "I only used it 10 times, but on those 10 occasions I used burst mode and took 1400 shots", whilst the latter would imply that the camera had actually had little use

I've been trying to find out how many shots our older Canon 350D has done, and can't find a software related way to identify this. Looking back through old photos though, the oldest I can find with the camera is numbered IMG_6460 and dated 02/01/2009. The newest is IMG_2629 on 25/01/2017. I bought the camera secondhand from a friend, so the 6460 makes sense, and assuming it rolls over when it hits 9999, then the 2629 would become 12629.

So, working this out, it's 6169 shots in 8 years, 1 month, 22 days (2945 days). This equates to 2.09473 shots a day. Working this the other way, the Nikon has got 85948 shots left, so it could be argued that on my current usage rate, this equals roughly 41030 days or 112 years before the shutter gives up the ghost!

I guess this doesn't really help me!

If I have my pessimistic hat on, I'm feeling aggrieved that I've been sold what equates to a "clocked" camera (well, sort of - they didn't claim a shutter count, but it's about 3 times what I would have expected)

With my optimistic hat on, I guess I have a good camera that cost about £100 less than I'd have anticipated, and has potentially a good lifespan left in it (even if I start taking 4 times as many shots, it's still got 50 odd years left in it)
Old 25th February 2017, 05:38   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Thanks for the thoughts chaps!

As said before, a little bit of a quandary: The camera seems good, but I do feel a little cheated as I don't really think it's as described. I guess it's semantics really, as the seller could contest that "rarely used" is not the same as "barely used" - the former could mean "I only used it 10 times, but on those 10 occasions I used burst mode and took 1400 shots", whilst the latter would imply that the camera had actually had little use

I've been trying to find out how many shots our older Canon 350D has done, and can't find a software related way to identify this. Looking back through old photos though, the oldest I can find with the camera is numbered IMG_6460 and dated 02/01/2009. The newest is IMG_2629 on 25/01/2017. I bought the camera secondhand from a friend, so the 6460 makes sense, and assuming it rolls over when it hits 9999, then the 2629 would become 12629.

So, working this out, it's 6169 shots in 8 years, 1 month, 22 days (2945 days). This equates to 2.09473 shots a day. Working this the other way, the Nikon has got 85948 shots left, so it could be argued that on my current usage rate, this equals roughly 41030 days or 112 years before the shutter gives up the ghost!

I guess this doesn't really help me!

If I have my pessimistic hat on, I'm feeling aggrieved that I've been sold what equates to a "clocked" camera (well, sort of - they didn't claim a shutter count, but it's about 3 times what I would have expected)

With my optimistic hat on, I guess I have a good camera that cost about £100 less than I'd have anticipated, and has potentially a good lifespan left in it (even if I start taking 4 times as many shots, it's still got 50 odd years left in it)
Good morning Dave, with negative feelings like that, why not dispute the purchase and get a refund. Spend a bit more and go brand new.
Old 25th February 2017, 09:16   #25
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Dave, with negative feelings like that, why not dispute the purchase and get a refund. Spend a bit more and go brand new.
LOL! I was trying to be positive, but I think you have neatly read between the lines and picked up my real feelings - you should be a psychologist!

Thing is, that although the camera is nice and technically has loads of life left in it, I guess I'll always have a feeling of resentment I don't really want to have to dispute, and not sure how to do it having paid, received the item and left positive feedback, and also worried that it could turn nasty. But also don't want to be hoodwinked......

This was the item
Old 25th February 2017, 10:17   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
LOL! I was trying to be positive, but I think you have neatly read between the lines and picked up my real feelings - you should be a psychologist!

Thing is, that although the camera is nice and technically has loads of life left in it, I guess I'll always have a feeling of resentment I don't really want to have to dispute, and not sure how to do it having paid, received the item and left positive feedback, and also worried that it could turn nasty. But also don't want to be hoodwinked......

This was the item
Well Dave I worked in Forensic Psychiatry in Hackney for 8 years and also had to carry out assessments in Broadmoor lol If I may suggest, give PayPal a ring and speak to a "Live Person". Explain your not happy, that the ad proved to be misleading and ask for an immediate refund. Have your PP transaction no ready. I have had to ring them a couple of times from Africa and spoke to them at their office in Dublin, most helpful they were.

Here are the numbers:

http://customerservicecontactnumber.uk/paypal/
Old 25th February 2017, 17:38   #27
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Well Dave I worked in Forensic Psychiatry in Hackney for 8 years and also had to carry out assessments in Broadmoor lol If I may suggest, give PayPal a ring and speak to a "Live Person". Explain your not happy, that the ad proved to be misleading and ask for an immediate refund. Have your PP transaction no ready. I have had to ring them a couple of times from Africa and spoke to them at their office in Dublin, most helpful they were.

Here are the numbers:

http://customerservicecontactnumber.uk/paypal/
Thanks Philip!

Well, after a bit of head scratching, musing, etc I have discussed this with Gill and she's had a look at and a go with the Nikon. Half light, never used it before and she took a few photos of the dogs and was well chuffed! We've decided not to raise an eBay claim and are keeping it Still think there's an element of being "economical with the truth" and guess I could have got a "grey" new one for not a lot more, but all in all, we've got a good camera and, if Gill is happy, then so am I!

(having said that, I might contact the eBay seller and ask, in a conversational kind of way, what sort of use the camera has actually had, just out of interest!)
Old 25th February 2017, 17:52   #28
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

I think in the end you have a fine camera at a good price. It is somewhat annoying that the seller understated the usage. He could have stated the actual shutter count and still got the same price

O well, I hope you enjoy using it

Old 25th February 2017, 21:26   #29
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I think in the end you have a fine camera at a good price. It is somewhat annoying that the seller understated the usage. He could have stated the actual shutter count and still got the same price
Have to agree with this

Haven't even scratched the scratchings of the surface of using it so far, so lots to get used to. Might have to buy "Nikon D5500 For Dummies" as I don't have the user manual!
Old 25th February 2017, 22:10   #30
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Have to agree with this

Haven't even scratched the scratchings of the surface of using it so far, so lots to get used to. Might have to buy "Nikon D5500 For Dummies" as I don't have the user manual!

Manual here

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.co...196/D5500.html