Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2017, 20:31   #71
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Well since you mention it, i do have a twincharged mgf project on the go here, BIG turbo blowing into roots blower - shock horror on a t series engine!
Into roots blower or bypassing?
2.2-600-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:14   #72
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Blowing into it.
The 'charger does the bottom end and makes the engine look much bigger, at high revs the turbo kicks in and one multiplies the other, provided the charger drive is up to it a 2l looks like a 3.5 v8.
Easy peasy 800bhp
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 23:43   #73
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

I have to admit I am not so good with types and installs of chargers. But don't they run out off efficiency at high revs?
Compound charging on a super does sound pretty cool tho.
My setup doesn't bypass either at present it just relies on the exhaust gas bypassing the small turbo enough to not compound the boost but to still allow a zero flow restriction so I won't heat up the charged air and will mean no bypass needed and more space under the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Old 24th February 2017, 18:33   #74
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2-600-vtec View Post
I have to admit I am not so good with types and installs of chargers. But don't they run out off efficiency at high revs?
Compound charging on a super does sound pretty cool tho.
My setup doesn't bypass either at present it just relies on the exhaust gas bypassing the small turbo enough to not compound the boost but to still allow a zero flow restriction so I won't heat up the charged air and will mean no bypass needed and more space under the bonnet.

There's no such thing as running out of efficiency - sure it drops off, since the mechanics of driving it and the volume of air required by the engine increase. The system works really well for a competition car, but for a road car the overall efficiency is poor, I'm sure loads of people will pipe up to say why its a bad idea...
Old 26th February 2017, 08:38   #75
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

T series zt on hold till next weekend away for a few days. I have decided to investigate further the modified 1.8 fly though, so half a day outside checking sensor,timing alignment etc is on the cards. If its sunny I might even try tp persuade the zt to fire up, but I know it has both fuel pressure issues and possibly lpg wiring issues.
On top of this I've put an entry in for a local charity night rally, so really need to finish the zr 160 engine...
Old 26th February 2017, 13:26   #76
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Are you sure you can't just swap the timing ring over from the 1.8 to the v6 one? They look similar diameter. Which gearbox are you running?

Old 27th February 2017, 14:39   #77
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

There is no "timing ring", its machined into the flywheel, and yes i have measure it, posted the dimensions a few posts back, also posted which gearbox I'm using - v6, since it aligns with three of the original t series mounting points, posted that as well. Are you sure you're not pulling my plonker?
Old 27th February 2017, 21:00   #78
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
There is no "timing ring", its machined into the flywheel, and yes i have measure it, posted the dimensions a few posts back, also posted which gearbox I'm using - v6, since it aligns with three of the original t series mounting points, posted that as well. Are you sure you're not pulling my plonker?
sorry i didnt remember that i should have re-read.

No i am sure that the 3 flywheels i have 1 v6 1 diesel 1 1.8t the v6 and 1.8 had almost identical dimensions bar the bolt holes and the timing ring/starter rings, starter ring would have to be swapped to the 1.8 as bellhousing is larger but the timing ring i could have sworn was also sweated on to the flywheel, your making me think now?.

I will try to have a look in the daylight to double check tomorrow,
as a note the standard t series aluminium back plate will not except the flywheel with the v6 ring gear i had mine machined down to allow clearence and correct starter engagement, it does make it a little weaker but you can brace it, assuming your are not making a bespoke adapter?. i will no doubt do that when the engine comes out again for whatever reason.

Last edited by 2.2-600-vtec; 27th February 2017 at 21:02..
Old 28th February 2017, 06:49   #79
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

You're probably right about the m/t adaptor plate not big enoug for the v6 ring, but its only 5 mm so shouldn't be too hard to relieve. I wont be making a new one, but had planned to add a bar across the back to stop the whole lot flexing(as I think the rover 45 t allready has?). The nonaligning holes will have some extra dowells cut in and added, and the area bottom front will also need some welding.
Have you (or anyone here) taken a flywheel apart?
Old 28th February 2017, 21:04   #80
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

I haven't heard of many if any gartac boxes failing with any power levels that have been done thus far. But the pg1 especially with standard bearings fails on standard power let alone tuned. The equal length shafts should reduce torque steer and the great suspension on the zt should give good traction.

Yes I stripped the 1.8 flywheel as in the dual mass hence my hybrid flywheel. My flywheel is a little heavier than the v6 one but then it's a estate car so I don't expect great 0 to 60 times but effortless power once moving.