Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd December 2016, 01:31   #281
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Don't forget over the festive season, that your car maybe standing, so check the plenum if you have time in between those mince pies, drinks and pigs in blankets

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 21:38   #282
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Plenums 2017

Well we are into the third month nearly of 2017, January & February have been very wet and rainy months, therefore have we been keeping check on those plenums hopefully so.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 18:27   #283
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Check it every week during the weekly wash. Once a month I clean them with a very thin long brush on a stick. Still perfectly dry down there
Old 16th July 2017, 00:53   #284
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Check it every week during the weekly wash. Once a month I clean them with a very thin long brush on a stick. Still perfectly dry down there

Hi the near side plenum holds the main brain of the car. For a few pounds you can get a water level switch mount it in the offending space and run the sounder and light into the cabin it is about an hours work. I have fitted these to all my Rovers as the cost of a new brain is a enough to write off many of our cars.
For the sake of a few pounds you can fit this simple device which will tell you if your drain is blocked. I clean and blow through my box every year when I change the cabin filter. I think the ones fitted to my estate and my wife's saloon cost about a fiver each. Mine run off a pp3 nine volt battery. Which I also change at the same time of the cabin filter, though as the battery has no drain on it unless there is an activation so in theory the battery should be good until its use before date. A small price to pay for piece of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 07:40   #285
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
For the sake of a few pounds you can fit this simple device which will tell you if your drain is blocked. I clean and blow through my box every year when I change the cabin filter. I think the ones fitted to my estate and my wife's saloon cost about a fiver each. Mine run off a pp3 nine volt battery. Which I also change at the same time of the cabin filter, though as the battery has no drain on it unless there is an activation so in theory the battery should be good until its use before date. A small price to pay for piece of mind.

Be aware that the plenums are supposed to get wet anyway, so such a unit has potential to trigger every time the car was out in the rain. There is only an issue when the drain is obstructed and the plenum fills up, by which time it is usually too late anyway.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 07:53   #286
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Be aware that the plenums are supposed to get wet anyway, so such a unit has potential to trigger every time the car was out in the rain. There is only an issue when the drain is obstructed and the plenum fills up, by which time it is usually too late anyway.

I hear your comment about them meant to be getting wet. The sensor I am referring to has at the sensing end two wires (electrodes) which need to be dipped in water to make a circuit. So the sensor is in fact a level alarm. You just mount at a height the water should not reach and if it goes off you have a blockage in the drain or the car is under water.

Old 16th July 2017, 08:22   #287
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

Having inherited a tourer with a pint or two of water in the plenum 4yrs ago and parking it on a drive between trees, I took the advice on here and installed the offside plenum guard from Jules and did the spy-hole mod, as illustrated by Arctic Steve.

I checked the plenum every couple of weeks thereafter but it was always bone-dry so now just check every month or two, more out of habit than need.

I wouldn't want to knock a potentially helpful new mod but if you have those two mods in place you shouldn't need to install a monitor.
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 15:00   #288
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
I hear your comment about them meant to be getting wet. The sensor I am referring to has at the sensing end two wires (electrodes) which need to be dipped in water to make a circuit. So the sensor is in fact a level alarm. You just mount at a height the water should not reach and if it goes off you have a blockage in the drain or the car is under water.

Yes, but as said the plenum will be soaked when it rains anyway, so your probes will be and giving false warnings of flooding, unless you can find a normally dry and shielded place to install the probes.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 16th July 2017, 16:53   #289
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Yes, but as said the plenum will be soaked when it rains anyway, so your probes will be and giving false warnings of flooding, unless you can find a normally dry and shielded place to install the probes.

Yes I agree the plenum gets water passing through it. Did you know that water is a fantastic insulator? It is the salts and the TDS that makes it conduct. The electrodes have to be in a puddle of water to activate the alarm. So as long as the drain is running free you never get the puddle required to activate the alarm.
If what you are suggesting was the case then both my cars would be having false alarm activations. Thankfully I have never had a false alarm in eighteen years but have once had an alarm due to a blockage of the drain hose, so I am happy that the system works.
As I said I clean and blow through the drain every year when I change the cabin filter. Every other year I take the opportunity to change the PP3 battery so I can be confident that the alarm will function. I fitted this to my first launch car and have fitted it to every other 75 I have had since. Have even fitted for others to give them piece of mind. So I know the system works.
Old 16th July 2017, 18:33   #290
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Yes I agree the plenum gets water passing through it. Did you know that water is a fantastic insulator?
No, it is absolutely not a fantastic insulator - it is a conductor. Pure water is not a good conductor, which is not quite the same thing. It becomes much more conductive, its resistance decreases, if salts are added.

As said, a flood warning unit using probes and the conduction through water is ideal for a situation which is normally dry, but becomes wet when there is a flood, such as under a washing machine. In a frequently wet Rover 75 plenum it will suffer constant false alarms.