Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2017, 11:05   #11
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
What rubbish?

That means that all the people I know that are running T-series engines in their modified cars won't pass an MOT.

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes, anyway enough disagreements.

Yes, it can be done and the easiest option would to get the gearbox for the engine rather than trying to make the 1.8 fit.
Neil you need to think about your statement here - the one about using the correct gearbox - that would be a pg1 yes?
Well that would mean no timing signal, wrong shafts, wrong gear linkage, wrong mountings, wrong size (possibly, since the pg1 does look longer), oo that's enough things to fix.
On the flip side, once I sort the flywheel t to zt box everything else is easy...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 11:07   #12
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

He's probably talking about the plethora of zr / zs conversions. With a cat I don't see you having a problem. Don't forget, the t series were still being used when the 75 came out.

With regards to gearbox, if you used a pg1 there's the problem of drive shafts and gear linkages not fitting.

You could get a flywheel made and sweat the ring gear on like standard but you'll not get the trigger pattern used from factory.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 11:31   #13
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
He's probably talking about the plethora of zr / zs conversions. With a cat I don't see you having a problem. Don't forget, the t series were still being used when the 75 came out.

With regards to gearbox, if you used a pg1 there's the problem of drive shafts and gear linkages not fitting.

You could get a flywheel made and sweat the ring gear on like standard but you'll not get the trigger pattern used from factory.
Just so I'm getting this right, is it changing a Rover K series 1.8 to a Rover k series 1.8T engine?

Which is what my Rover 75 has.

Or are you fitting the Rover T16 Turbo?

Last edited by Neil1; 12th February 2017 at 11:34.. Reason: added question
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 11:43   #14
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

If you are using the Rover T16 Turbo engine then this is a good read on gearbox etc.

http://www.mr-r.co.uk/tturbo.html
Old 12th February 2017, 13:28   #15
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
Just so I'm getting this right, is it changing a Rover K series 1.8 to a Rover k series 1.8T engine?

Which is what my Rover 75 has.

Or are you fitting the Rover T16 Turbo?
I would have thought that the title of the thread would have told you that. Are you going to give me the courtesy of a reply to the question that I asked you, or should I just rubbish your opinion as you did to me?
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 13:53   #16
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
I would have thought that the title of the thread would have told you that. Are you going to give me the courtesy of a reply to the question that I asked you, or should I just rubbish your opinion as you did to me?
As this is a Rover 75/MG Forum I assumed it was the 1.8T engine which is an easy mistake to make.

But you can still fit the T16 engine and it still doesn't make any difference to emissions so long as cats etc are fitted.
As it has 197bhp as standard it will fly.

But if you think I should apologise then I will, I'm sorry.

However I wouldn't bother with a Rover engine, I would go down the Honda route but that's a whole new track to take.
Old 12th February 2017, 13:56   #17
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Are you referring to T Series engines fitted to cars originally fitted at the factory, or retro fitted into newer vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I presume you mean this question but you didn't quote me so I think it's this one.

Yes.

Retro fitted to older vehicles.
Old 12th February 2017, 14:28   #18
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
As this is a Rover 75/MG Forum I assumed it was the 1.8T engine which is an easy mistake to make.

But you can still fit the T16 engine and it still doesn't make any difference to emissions so long as cats etc are fitted.
As it has 197bhp as standard it will fly.

But if you think I should apologise then I will, I'm sorry.

However I wouldn't bother with a Rover engine, I would go down the Honda route but that's a whole new track to take.
Quote:
I presume you mean this question but you didn't quote me so I think it's this one.

Yes.

Retro fitted to older vehicles.
It would seem that you either don't read what I've posted, or you have no knowledge of how the MOT testing system works. Retro fitting an engine into an older vehicle, rarely causes any problems, as invariably the older car will fall into a less strict Co2 category than the engine is being fitted to it. Sadly the reverse is true when fitting an older engine into a newer cat. An MG ZT 1.8T will be rated at 193 g/Km Co2, with the relevant authorities. The 620TI, (which is the engine that the OP is wanting to fit to his ZT,) was rated at 220 g/Km Co2. When the car is hooked up to the MOT system, the car will automatically fail on it's emissions, as it will produce more Co2 emissions than is allowed for that age/model of car. By the way, running a Cat with the engine, will not affect the amount of Co2 that the car produces, as they only lower the levels of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, so my original point is correct and not "rubbish" as you posted earlier.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 14:35   #19
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Calm down now....
It doesn't take much time to read less than a dozen posts, but I suppose its easier just to type...
Anyway, from the top, I have all the bits, except the starter, yes I could look for a honda to turbo, but why?
If I wasafter changing engine maker I would go for a vw 4 pot, which the yoofs are boosting to silly numbers very successfully, but it wouldn't bolt up t o my box, and the insurance man would be rubbing his hands ( as he would with a honda).
So stop suggesting alternatives, and winding each other up
Oh, also, I won't need a bloomin cat, except for the casings, lpg you see guv...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 14:43   #20
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
It would seem that you either don't read what I've posted, or you have no knowledge of how the MOT testing system works. Retro fitting an engine into an older vehicle, rarely causes any problems, as invariably the older car will fall into a less strict Co2 category than the engine is being fitted to it. Sadly the reverse is true when fitting an older engine into a newer cat. An MG ZT 1.8T will be rated at 193 g/Km Co2, with the relevant authorities. The 620TI, (which is the engine that the OP is wanting to fit to his ZT,) was rated at 220 g/Km Co2. When the car is hooked up to the MOT system, the car will automatically fail on it's emissions, as it will produce more Co2 emissions than is allowed for that age/model of car. By the way, running a Cat with the engine, will not affect the amount of Co2 that the car produces, as they only lower the levels of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, so my original point is correct and not "rubbish" as you posted earlier.
does declaring an engine change to the DVLA solve this emissions problem though? As there are many MG ZR and MG ZS T16 conversions on the road. There's also a MG ZR 2.5v6 and a MG TF 2.5v6 conversion on the road, both of which would produce higher emissions than their standard 1.8 160 engines? so there must be a way around is as there are newer cars on the road with older engines fitted and passing MOTs, such as 02-04 reg MG ZRs and ZS's with the older T16 turbo engine fitted.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 12th February 2017 at 14:45..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote