Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2017, 21:40   #1
Dalefan

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Time to sell?

Much as the wife loves her 75 she is beginning to think it may be time to move it on. Her main worry is that changes in her job mean that her weekly mileage is going to increase and she is worried about the effect on the car.
She is also thinking re the fuel costs,even though some will be expenses, and the worry of ongoing reliability.

It will be sad if she chooses to go that way as, much as we would love to, we are not yet in a position to keep it as a pampered 3rd car.

Personally i hope she keeps the 75 as i also enjoy driving it but am worried that will start meaning niggling little faults will start occurring on the car. Looks like i am going to be getting the ABS sensor sorted this weekend - diagnosed after a quick search on the forums following an intermittent fault she noted today with loss of speedo and ABS light on for a period of time though came back on.
Dalefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:43   #2
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Unless her new job is the secret manufacture of flying carpets it won't matter what car she has - all cars are prone to niggling faults.

And actually, I've found that the more you use these cars the less goes wrong with them - they're meant to be driven - it's sitting around they don't do so well with
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:59   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefan View Post
... her weekly mileage is going to increase and she is worried about the effect on the car.
As Gerard says, the effect can only be beneficial.
Quote:
She is also thinking re the fuel costs ...
OK. The trade-in value of your Y reg. V6 will be disappointingly low. Now look at the price of a replacement car. Next calculate the cost of the higher mileage and compare the two.
Quote:
... and the worry of ongoing reliability.
Believe it or not, reliability has nothing to do with age. It depends upon how the car is treated, in terms of maintenance and useage as Gerard says.

So no, it's not time to sell.

Simon
Old 23rd February 2017, 23:00   #4
ORO
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I have bought another car twice, fully convinced I would sell my 75 and both times I have ended up changing my mind and keeping the 75.

Borris was the 860th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775.

Borris was the 532nd 75 in Old English White (code: NNZ) to be made out of 640 Old English White 75s.

But most importantly, Borris is mine!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3baf7495e8.jpg
ORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 05:52   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

As mentioned,even new cars have issues.
My daughter (who drives my wifes old Rover 75) asked me the other day why here Rover75 just keeps going without any real issues and her husbands 2013 Audi A5 COUPE is constantly in for repair for electrical issues,somtimes costing a thousand dollars to fix.
So as mentioned,if serviced properly older cars can be reliable
As a dealer once said to me ,you either keep a car for 7 years or 14 years ,ie a car gets a re fit of most consumable items about every 7 years.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 07:58   #6
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I thought the same a few years ago. I traded in my 14 year-old 3litre Shogun for a two year old Skoda Octavia diesel. It would be more fuel efficient and not need so much money spending on it, right? And it was part of the VW/Audi group too now, so should be a good buy?

It was sure fuel efficient. The first week of ownership we went to the coast in it, and came back for free - on an AA transporter! The duel mass flywheel failed. It should have still been under Skoda warranty, but they refused to repair it as the previous owner had used independent garages to service it. I pointed out the law now says this is allowed, but there is a loophole that original parts have to be used, and Skoda threw it at me that I couldn't prove they had, leaving me potentially with a £1500 bill in the first week! Worse still, Skoda then informed me the part was such a common failure, and was fitted to Volkswagens, Audis as well etcs, that there was a three week wait for the part!!!!

Lucky for me, I hadn't bought it from Skoda, but an independent garage, and when Skoda refused the repairs they offered me three choices, they would pay, they would offer me another car off their forecourt, or my money back. I took my money back, but my old car had already been sold.

So newer isn't always better!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 08:16   #7
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Sometimes its better the devil you know.

You could go and buy a brand new small fuel efficient car with a long warranty/service packagae if you were in that position financially on a pcp lease where all you pay is the monthly payment and fuel......which is what we do for my beloved as he wants no hassle motoring and something that gets them to work and back without thinking......

I still have to wash it though!
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 14:56   #8
Dalefan

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the responses - agree best to keep a car in use.

She sees the problem as going from 3-400 miles a week to 800-1000 per week as too much for her pet car. That sort of mileage will punish any car and she has in her head that given the age of the 75 that would be too much and the risk too great.

Also know that we have a potential buyer for the car at a reasonable price so not reliant on trade in. She believes a diesel will be better for the mileage in the long term.

She will make the decision when she is ready and if she does get rid will have to find a way as soon as possible to get my own pet car.
Dalefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 16:14   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I understand her dilemma. My 75 diesel is my diesel and has been since purchase. But, she's getting on a bit now and I need something that's younger and reliable. I will be moving mine on soon. I've got myself another 75 as a weekend toy but will be replacing my daily diesel with something soon. I will be going Jap. Quite fancy one of the new Mazda 6. Cracking cars. Good luck.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 16:57   #10
ORO
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

If your 75 has proved to be reliable in the past and you have spent money on preventative maintenance like frequent oil changes, well known mods on the forum and have spent money on the car when it has needed it, I see no reason why your 75 shouldn't keep on being a reliable car.

Borris was the 860th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775.

Borris was the 532nd 75 in Old English White (code: NNZ) to be made out of 640 Old English White 75s.

But most importantly, Borris is mine!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3baf7495e8.jpg
ORO is offline   Reply With Quote