Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2017, 18:55   #61
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalf View Post
It will be down to white balance and your eyes . You see live colour differently to a camera sensor, darker and richer. Best bet, get yourself a copy of Photoshop and start playing about with the photo's in RAW format. You can make so many small adjustments that will make colour much more pleasing and really bring out the depth of your photo's (which are excellent BTW).
Hi, I do actually have Photoshop elements. I haven't played around with RAW yet although I do want to give it a try.

What I was meaning was when I downloaded the photo onto my PC, the quality seemed really good. But, after uploading to the forum the quality had dropped. (I know this is to be expected..)

Thanks for the nice comment too.
I'm still practicing but am now exclusively using manual mode having now worked out how to operate it very basically..
It is quite satisfying when you learn something new when taking pictures. Even more so if it's accidental..
Old 12th May 2017, 19:52   #62
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I photographed this little chap yesterday. He was wandering around with me amongst the sheep for quite some time.
Then, in the distance, another Pheasant called and he replied.
It was quite satisfying to catch him like this.

The quality of the picture seems a lot lower than that from my camera after uploading..

I like it when they start that behavior. It reminds me of summer evenings when they seem to do it most. Some days I will see 15 or so Pheasants around our muck heap, they seem to find tasty things there.

As you say, quite a number of sites will downgrade the image quality when you upload. Flickr is one of the better ones for keeping the original quality.

I usually shoot in aperture priority as my main concern is usually depth of field. Shallow for people, birds or horses. Deep for insects or landscapes. I dare say the guys who shoot motor sport may use shutter priority to get the background blur how they want it. (I may be wrong as I do next to no motor sport pics). Each to their own of course and I certainly would not say one way is right or wrong, personal preference plays a part.

Edit: I always shoot RAW and I always process the image in Lightroom. Some top pros will shoot JPEG and do little processing. Each to their own.

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 12th May 2017 at 19:59..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 20:49   #63
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I like it when they start that behavior. It reminds me of summer evenings when they seem to do it most. Some days I will see 15 or so Pheasants around our muck heap, they seem to find tasty things there.

As you say, quite a number of sites will downgrade the image quality when you upload. Flickr is one of the better ones for keeping the original quality.

I usually shoot in aperture priority as my main concern is usually depth of field. Shallow for people, birds or horses. Deep for insects or landscapes. I dare say the guys who shoot motor sport may use shutter priority to get the background blur how they want it. (I may be wrong as I do next to no motor sport pics). Each to their own of course and I certainly would not say one way is right or wrong, personal preference plays a part.

Edit: I always shoot RAW and I always process the image in Lightroom. Some top pros will shoot JPEG and do little processing. Each to their own.
Pretty much Shutter Priority for Motorsports but cats on the other hand........ Aperture Priority and wide open works for me

I shoot mainly JPEG, camera hits the buffer quickly using RAW when shooting motorsports and also file sizes gets a bit much when coming home with over a 1000 photos to work with

When shooting more slowed down stuff (landscapes etc) I set the camera to store RAW on one card and JPEG on the other

I'm using Lightroom far more than Photoshop these days, much quicker for batch editing etc and Flickr as recommended by you for my forum hosting purposes
Old 19th May 2017, 05:43   #64
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

It's not something I shoot that much of really but I do have a few images to share:
Hoverfly In Flight

M1 (2 minutes Bulb)

Fireworks (6 minutes Bulb Exposure)
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 21:38   #65
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Finally managed to try this out properly.
I bought a new tripod last week so wanted to try it out..

Night shot of M4 motorway. England. by Philip Davies, on Flickr