Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2017, 20:05   #21
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Well I had to check...
At exactly level pistons the bottom toothed pulley can either be bang on between the dots (if moved forward to the extreme of its slop), or, if you turn it back to the other extreme just slightly off middle. So Brian is right, or at least partly right, depending where exactly the pulley sits.
Now, given it will allways be driven, it will allways be back, which means the No1 piston will be slightly higher up the bore. I tried to measure it - around 2.5mm higher than No2. This is no accident in my opinion, (its the mark on the pump thats just before 12o'clock), and I believe its there to allow some slack to fit the belt when the dots are exactly aligned. At any rate, pistons level will still allways be with the dots either side of the line on the pump, which is good since thats all I've ever used, usually with a quick glance down once the belt is on, grovelling around under the wheelarch is for idiots as far as I'm concerned.
Good spot though
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote