Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th March 2017, 14:24   #21
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I said on normal roads.

macafee2
I often take the caravan away to work, beats b&b's or travelodge. Some times this means a 400 mile journey on roads to get to the untarmaced bits, and the 4x4 is better at that as well.

Sorry, but it just is.
Old 7th March 2017, 14:35   #22
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Are they still made! Haven't seen one for a long time, very nice car they were too. Not very good on fuel though I imagine 2.5 and 3.0 engines IIRC?
The current one is a 3.2td manual, gets 28mpg daily driving...a lot less up to its sills in bogs
The last one was a 2.8td auto, 20mpg normally. Finally gave up with 320k miles on it. The first one was a 2.5.

Pic of the 2.8 at work, it had been jetwashed the night before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24-11-06_1435.jpg (131.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 13th March 2017, 23:08   #23
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I'm going to sit on the fence here and say that I can agree with both sides of the argument...

For everyday, regular road use, where you are not towing a reasonable sized trailer, then I would agree that a 4x2 car is perfectly adequate.

However, if we are saying that you need to tow maybe 1500kg or more, then a 4x4 comes into it's own. They are not only far less likely to loose traction whilst pulling up hill (remember, the trailer nose weight will always lift the front axle slightly, so reducing grip), but when using engine braking on a steep decent, the effort is fed through all four wheels rather than just two, again making the whole experience far more sure-footed.

My Discovery (which is permanent 4x4) feels like it is 'clamped' to the road, even with 3000kg+ on the back - and that's a great feeling when you come over Haldon Hill with the rain beating down and the wind blowing

However, 4x2 or 4x4, I feel the biggest cause of towing accidents is excess speed, followed closely by overweight or incorrectly loaded trailers, then poor or non-existent maintenance
Old 14th March 2017, 05:14   #24
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

A few comments, if I may....with apologies for long post.

It's been mentioned that caravanners may be of the older generation, I've just had to apply for my 'over 70' Licence, and while I retained my towing category, I lost C1and D1, the 'medium size vehicles' and 'minibuses', because I couldn't be fussed to take a medical etc. I'm now restricted to vehicles with an all-up weight of 3500kgs, which includes vehicle,fuel, load, passengers, driver and his sandwiches, and trailer if towing. This is, apart maybe from the towing, the same as the post 1997 regs.

Also mentioned, drivers possibly forget they are towing. Unlikely, you may think, but this happened to me many years ago (1975 to be exact!). I had an HB viva, my Dad had twin cam Lada shape Fiat 124s, with towbar. My father in law had a caravan. I was newly married and unable to afford a holiday, so swapped cars with Dad, and borrowed the caravan.

Well the Fiat's performance with the van on the back was at least as good as the viva solo. About 15 miles into the journey, feeling comfortable and relaxed,I come up behind a lorry, and overtook it. Without going into further detail, shall we just say it was only the truck driver's quick thinking that saved a nasty accident.

Since then, I've never forgotten I'm towing, and as you see I've not forgotten that incident either!
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:25   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Short wheelbase vehicles always perform worse when towing to give the "tail wagging" effect. It can be offset a bit by the weight of the SWB but generally speaking a longer wheelbase veicle is more stable. (unless it is an articulated vehicle, loaded over the towing axle, rather than on a towball at the back).
Don't forget to check those trailer tyres for cracks after the winter lay up. Lots of vans have flipped on the A47/A17 into Norfolk at the start of the season due to tyre failures.
As someone who has towed for 50 years and without incident....

I look for a good heavy car, preferably RWD. For stability I like the rear axle or wheels as close to the rear as possible, this also helps reduce the leverage the weight on the rear has, to take weight away from the front wheels. FWD works, but the drive is not in the best position for grip on a slippy surface. Artic tractor units are relatively much shorter than their trailers and they don't have stability issues, than a car + caravan. The shorter the tug and longer the trailer, the more easily they can be manoeuvred.

I have never owned a 4x4, never towed with one, but have driven them. I was wondering if a 4x4 might be worthwhile when I bought the 75. I had in mind day to day economy when not towing. It was a good decision and I have only suffered issues with the FWD once, trying to climb up a wet grass field. I managed to get out by a series of zig-zags up the field to the top and solid ground. The owner has since added a proper gravel road up the middle now. I tow diagonally down the grass to the road, then up along the road to get out.

So far as I am aware, caravan's don't have any manufacturer's towing speed limits, they are just limited by which ever country you are towing in. I have towed at 90 without any issues in the past. In the UK I normally restrict myself to 55 to 60mph, usually following the speeds of the HGV's so as to minimise the need to overtake.

I minimise nose and tail weight as best I can, setting it at 75Kg which is slightly less than the manufacturers recommended and well below the 75's maximum. I also get all weight as low as is possible. I have had the odd slight snake in the distant past, but my present outfit has always been rock steady, a very relaxing drive.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 22nd March 2017 at 10:47..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote