Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2017, 18:44   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Mad or too trusting

For a few years past, a guy has offered a free pitch and electric, in south Wales for caravanners, in exchange for them looking after his 4/5/6 chickens whilst he is away for a couple of weeks in the summer, via a forum. It seemed a completely mad idea, but others have taken him up on it in the past and say it is a genuine offer. Out in the country on your own and no site fees to pay - sounds absolutely ideal for us.

Its not far from a site we used each summer for 20 years, but it was becoming crowded and a bit of a clique-ish site, we were excluded from. So this year we looking at alternatives anyway.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 21:06   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

we use cL's, certified locations where they are only allowed 5 caravans. facilities vary
but as long as there is electric, water and waste disposal we are happy.
we have stayed at cL's where there is a shower block and washing up facilities at no extra cost. gave up on proper commercial sites years ago due to over crowding.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 21:19   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Harry, if it's only 6 hens,,take him up on the offer, they take no looking after, just let them out in the morning,make sure they have food and water, then lock them in when it gets dark. They go in when it gets dark anyway, you just need to shut the hen house door to keep out predators and vermin. Plus the benefit of fresh eggs for your breakfast.
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:10   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
we use cL's, certified locations where they are only allowed 5 caravans. facilities vary
but as long as there is electric, water and waste disposal we are happy.
we have stayed at cL's where there is a shower block and washing up facilities at no extra cost. gave up on proper commercial sites years ago due to over crowding.

macafee2
This is the only type of site we ever use. I would hate being sited in a sea of caravans. Where we are right now for the week, is a CL which we have used for many years for our shorter breaks. We are the only tourer on site, £10 pn, with free electric (courtesy of a bio-generator), grey water is piped straight to the edge bottom. We have several miles of walking for the dogs, straight out of the back of the farm, without needing to even put them on a lead. Weather has been mostly great, we picked the first warm week of the year again. The owner is away and he knows me well enough to trust me to put the site fees through his letter box as we leave.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 2nd April 2017 at 07:25..
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:22   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Harry, if it's only 6 hens,,take him up on the offer, they take no looking after, just let them out in the morning,make sure they have food and water, then lock them in when it gets dark. They go in when it gets dark anyway, you just need to shut the hen house door to keep out predators and vermin. Plus the benefit of fresh eggs for your breakfast.
I have already made tentative arrangements to go

I was at first a bit concerned that the owner posted the offer on the 1st April and before noon

I had thought spotted the offer previous years, but not knowing anything about looking after hens, didn't chase it up. Jean says she is fine looking after hens, so this year I responded. Others have previously taken him up on the offer and say it is great there, a mile from the sea in south Wales, yet no near neighbours, plenty of private space.

I guess it is about looking after the hens and keeping an eye on the place too, whilst the owner is away.

Old 2nd April 2017, 09:21   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have already made tentative arrangements to go

I was at first a bit concerned that the owner posted the offer on the 1st April and before noon

I had thought spotted the offer previous years, but not knowing anything about looking after hens, didn't chase it up. Jean says she is fine looking after hens, so this year I responded. Others have previously taken him up on the offer and say it is great there, a mile from the sea in south Wales, yet no near neighbours, plenty of private space.

I guess it is about looking after the hens and keeping an eye on the place too, whilst the owner is away.
I think it's more keeping an eye on the place, as Insaid, hens take no looking after, as long as they have space, food and water, that's all they need. With ours I just fill the container up and they feed when they want, and drink when they want. Once the lhopper is empty ,just refill it.
Old 8th April 2017, 08:38   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

All fixed up now, including dates and I'm quite liking the idea/ the arrangement. We try to use a discharge pipe for the grey water, discharging it into an hedge bottom rather than a WasteHog - why waste perfectly good water by pouring it down a drain, when it can do some good? There is some free wifi, free ECU, but no toilet so we will for the first time have to use our own facilities. I quite like our onboard shower, it is very good indeed - not cramped at all cramped, nor a shared space with a toilet.

The owner is a caravanner and booking his time away on another site.

Old 8th April 2017, 08:47   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
All fixed up now, including dates and I'm quite liking the idea/ the arrangement. We try to use a discharge pipe for the grey water, discharging it into an hedge bottom rather than a WasteHog - why waste perfectly good water by pouring it down a drain, when it can do some good? There is some free wifi, free ECU, but no toilet so we will for the first time have to use our own facilities. I quite like our onboard shower, it is very good indeed - not cramped at all cramped, nor a shared space with a toilet.

The owner is a caravanner and booking his time away on another site.
Good morning Harry. Is this a different site or the one with the hens to look after?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 09:48   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Harry. Is this a different site or the one with the hens to look after?
The one with the hens.

Old 8th April 2017, 12:53   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
The one with the hens.
It looks to be an ideal set up in a location not shared with the hundreds. We keep geese, chickens, hens and grouse. As Richard says, the hens don't need much care except for their feed and putting them in at night. If any intruders come at night, they make a racket. Have a wonderful holiday
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote