Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2017, 17:05   #311
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I was down at Aldwick (Bognor Regis) today and took a few pics on the beach.

The first one has Mulberry Caisson remains in the picture (read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour). I must try and get back and take a few close ups.

Aldwick Beach Pano
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Aldwick Beach

Aldwick Beach

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 18th April 2017 at 22:10..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 12:33   #312
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Some Bluebells

Bluebells in Woods

Old 21st April 2017, 05:28   #313
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Paul, I am really quite taken by the clarity of your photos and captured with a Sony mirrorless camera. I like the cloud formations and seeing the promise of summer with the blue sky. Apologies for diverting here, but wasn't sure where to post up. Sony launched the A9 yesterday, available from June at £4,500. Clearly aimed at the professionals as its high spec and cam body only. Sadly the price is too high...Yikes!

How do you get on without an EVF viewfinder eye cup? The reason I ask is that the mirrorless cameras with it, are more expensive. Someone wants my Powershot and I am going to sell the Nikon with all of its lenses, then start off from scratch and gradually build up the kit. Nikon have fallen behind in mirrorless. I heard that even with an adaptor mount, the marrying up for Nikon DX lenses isn't that successful. Poor show there. From memory my budget falls into the range of the Panasonic GH5, Fuji X10/20, Sony 6300/6500. Do you have any thoughts/recommendations? Thank you for your time.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 07:45   #314
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Hello Phil..

That Sony A9 looks like a beast. 20 frames per second. Tracking auto focus refreshing at 60 times per second. No flicker or blackout in view finder when tacking picture. Silent shooting etc etc.
The camera is aimed squarely at sports, wildlife and photo journalist professionals and yes it costs £4500 The Canon and Nikon top models that are it's main competitors are more expensive however so in some ways it looks like a good deal. On paper the Sony out performs the other two.

I want to see how it performs in real life in the hands of experts over the next few weeks. I bet there is something disappointing, as all cameras seem to have a weak spot or two.

On the other topic, my camera does have an eyepiece and I would not purchase a camera without one. I use the eyepiece most of the time and only use the rear screen when holding the camera high or low. I prefer not to use the rear screens but will do so when I have to.

I may upgrade my camera later in the year so I shall be looking at camera options also.

The Sony 6300 and 6500 are great all round cameras that produce excellent stills and video. They are small and some people find them fiddly. Overheating when shooting 4k video for a long time can be a problem.

The A6500 will certainly be one that I will consider buying Or I may go full frame. I have not decided yet and I will not make my choice for months.

The GH5 seems pretty good but has poor auto focus in 4k video mode.

The Fujis are also another great option.

All cameras seem to have a downside

I will most likely stick with Sony but if something better comes along from another manufacturer I will swap.

I hope you find the correct one for your needs. I find making a short list of "must have" can be useful for ruling out some models.

On my must have list would be

At least 20 mp sensor

Good dynamic range

In body stabilization.

Fast auto focus acquisition of subject - tracking not so important for me as I do not shoot action shots.

And the list could become a lot longer

It is good advice to factor in the cost of the lenses also.

Last edited by Rocket; 21st April 2017 at 08:33..
Old 21st April 2017, 07:55   #315
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Some Bluebells

Bluebells in Woods
Beautifully captured image Paul
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:18   #316
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Dandelions seed heads.
Few more on Flickr.

Dandelion

Dandelion

Old 22nd April 2017, 21:17   #317
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Brilliant detail in those macro shots
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:02   #318
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Hello Phil..

That Sony A9 looks like a beast. 20 frames per second. Tracking auto focus refreshing at 60 times per second. No flicker or blackout in view finder when tacking picture. Silent shooting etc etc.
The camera is aimed squarely at sports, wildlife and photo journalist professionals and yes it costs £4500 The Canon and Nikon top models that are it's main competitors are more expensive however so in some ways it looks like a good deal. On paper the Sony out performs the other two.

I want to see how it performs in real life in the hands of experts over the next few weeks. I bet there is something disappointing, as all cameras seem to have a weak spot or two.

On the other topic, my camera does have an eyepiece and I would not purchase a camera without one. I use the eyepiece most of the time and only use the rear screen when holding the camera high or low. I prefer not to use the rear screens but will do so when I have to.

I may upgrade my camera later in the year so I shall be looking at camera options also.

The Sony 6300 and 6500 are great all round cameras that produce excellent stills and video. They are small and some people find them fiddly. Overheating when shooting 4k video for a long time can be a problem.

The A6500 will certainly be one that I will consider buying Or I may go full frame. I have not decided yet and I will not make my choice for months.

The GH5 seems pretty good but has poor auto focus in 4k video mode.

The Fujis are also another great option.

All cameras seem to have a downside

I will most likely stick with Sony but if something better comes along from another manufacturer I will swap.

I hope you find the correct one for your needs. I find making a short list of "must have" can be useful for ruling out some models.

On my must have list would be

At least 20 mp sensor

Good dynamic range

In body stabilization.

Fast auto focus acquisition of subject - tracking not so important for me as I do not shoot action shots.

And the list could become a lot longer

It is good advice to factor in the cost of the lenses also.
Thank you Paul for taking the time to write. I am going to stick with Sony, either CSC or full frame. Pundits see the other prices dropping by as much as $600 following the launch of the A9. Have you ever used 3rd party manual focus lenses on your Sony?
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:17   #319
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thank you Paul for taking the time to write. I am going to stick with Sony, either CSC or full frame. Pundits see the other prices dropping by as much as $600 following the launch of the A9. Have you ever used 3rd party manual focus lenses on your Sony?

Yes I have Phil. I have set one of the customisable buttons to enable the in viewfinder magnification. So if I am using a manual lens I can zoom in at the touch of a button to help me get extremely accurate focusing. Focus peaking is a help also.

I can recommend Samyang also known as Rokinon manual lenses, they are top notch.

These were shot with a 16mm Samyang fully manual lens.

Bluebells in Woods

Aldwick Beach

Heyshott Church

Last edited by Rocket; 23rd April 2017 at 22:16..
Old 24th April 2017, 18:18   #320
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Yes I have Phil. I have set one of the customisable buttons to enable the in viewfinder magnification. So if I am using a manual lens I can zoom in at the touch of a button to help me get extremely accurate focusing. Focus peaking is a help also.

I can recommend Samyang also known as Rokinon manual lenses, they are top notch.

These were shot with a 16mm Samyang fully manual lens.

Bluebells in Woods

Aldwick Beach

Heyshott Church
Thanks Paul, your reply, along with your beautiful photos has helped me to get closer to a decision. By not going full frame, I can concentrate funds on manual lenses for landscape and wildlife. Your explanation about using focus in the camera body is a great tip. Thank you very much. I decided not ask my friend who works for Sony, to get me a discount, as those deals don't come with a better package that I can get by shopping around at similar prices elsewhere in the market place, some with longer warranties.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 24th April 2017 at 18:31..