Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2017, 14:23   #11
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

I'm on my third Shogun in 18yrs and have towed a caravan to most parts of the UK using one. I've been overtaken by other drivers towing caravans, trailers and more than once a horsebox, some in 4x4's and some in cars.

It seems from some of the posts on here that some people dont like 4x4s.
Old 21st February 2017, 14:43   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my previous swift did not care how it was loaded, was always stable. My new lunar likes to be nose heavy. If it is not nose heavy does tend to sway. I have had to stop and move weight towards the nose to make it better.

Have you seen the working of AlKo's ATC? They show it during and emergency avoidance, a swerve on Youtube, its quite impressive.

I tow at the speed limit but when coming to a hill, start to accelerate so the engine is under strain before the hill. The car climbs better even though it is losing speed. Without the acceleration before hand, it would lose more speed and I think be under greater strain as it starts to maintain its speed once it is on the up hill.

Is there really much use for a 4X4, car or Range Rover type on the road in normal driving? Front or rear will do.
Wet fields, steep drives, fast cornering, heavy weights, snow and ice 4X4 but generally, 2 wheel drive works. Friends have a 4X4 for the high driving position but does it need to be 4X4?.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 20:35   #13
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my previous swift did not care how it was loaded, was always stable. My new lunar likes to be nose heavy. If it is not nose heavy does tend to sway. I have had to stop and move weight towards the nose to make it better.

Have you seen the working of AlKo's ATC? They show it during and emergency avoidance, a swerve on Youtube, its quite impressive.

I tow at the speed limit but when coming to a hill, start to accelerate so the engine is under strain before the hill. The car climbs better even though it is losing speed. Without the acceleration before hand, it would lose more speed and I think be under greater strain as it starts to maintain its speed once it is on the up hill.

Is there really much use for a 4X4, car or Range Rover type on the road in normal driving? Front or rear will do.
Wet fields, steep drives, fast cornering, heavy weights, snow and ice 4X4 but generally, 2 wheel drive works. Friends have a 4X4 for the high driving position but does it need to be 4X4?.

macafee2
In my case yes it does. My job has me trekking across our green and pleasant land (the green bits) and anything less than a 4x4 is so useless that the client has banned any contractor from using anything else. That it is also a far superior tow vehicle and a more comfortable place to be than nearly any other vehicle I've used is a bonus.
I own both, and enjoy each car on their own merits, but knowing how good a Shogun is at towing and at wet fields/mud/bog I wouldn't subject my 75 to it. It also doesn't need to take the strain coming up to a hill, it just goes up at the same speed it was doing, no fuss.

Last edited by Mr Bone; 21st February 2017 at 20:39..
Mr Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 21:16   #14
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
I'm on my third Shogun in 18yrs and have towed a caravan to most parts of the UK using one. I've been overtaken by other drivers towing caravans, trailers and more than once a horsebox, some in 4x4's and some in cars.

I dont think it is a case of "Not Liking" 4x4 it is just that 4X4's seem to be the predominant vehicle that use excessive speed when towing.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:08   #15
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I can't prove and I've never towed with one but I have always wondered if certain makes of coil sprung 4x4 vehicles have the lateral stability to safely tow caravans. I have known a few people come to grief or nearly come to grief over the years.

I would imagine that a large heavy estate car would be slightly safer in lateral stability terms. Of course you can get in to trouble with any vehicle.

Please correct my thinking if you know better.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:14   #16
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Quote:

If my comments have caused offense to you by questioning the mentality of some road users including '4x4 drivers' the that was not my intention. The intention was to pass on my personal observation of other caravaners particularly on the dual carriageways and motorways. I do not plod alone like driving Miss Daisy but I am also aware of the speed limits, other road users, and effects on my caravan when passing other vehicles or being passed by them, and am left shaking my head in disbelief at times by the behaviour of the minority of what I deem irresponsible drivers simply driving too fast with their caravan, and all too often I have noticed that it has been (but not solely restricted to), drivers in 4x4 type vehicles. It's not a case of not liking 4x4's, Lord knows I would love a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was just my observation.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:36   #17
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post
If my comments have caused offense to you by questioning the mentality of some road users including '4x4 drivers' the that was not my intention. The intention was to pass on my personal observation of other caravaners particularly on the dual carriageways and motorways. I do not plod alone like driving Miss Daisy but I am also aware of the speed limits, other road users, and effects on my caravan when passing other vehicles or being passed by them, and am left shaking my head in disbelief at times by the behaviour of the minority of what I deem irresponsible drivers simply driving too fast with their caravan, and all too often I have noticed that it has been (but not solely restricted to), drivers in 4x4 type vehicles. It's not a case of not liking 4x4's, Lord knows I would love a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was just my observation.
You and me both Tony, again no objection tom4x4 users, I too have seen the idiotic driving of a minority, I'm plodding along quite steadily at 55/60, and have seen twin axle caravans being towed at 70 plus. Some drivers just seem to think they can drive with the caravan in tow the same way as they do without it. I did the towing and manouvering course and we watched a video of what can go wrong when towing at excess speed. It's not just 4x4s either, large family saloons and estates are just as guilty.
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:40   #18
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:

Are they still made! Haven't seen one for a long time, very nice car they were too. Not very good on fuel though I imagine 2.5 and 3.0 engines IIRC?
Old 5th March 2017, 19:31   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Short wheelbase vehicles always perform worse when towing to give the "tail wagging" effect. It can be offset a bit by the weight of the SWB but generally speaking a longer wheelbase veicle is more stable. (unless it is an articulated vehicle, loaded over the towing axle, rather than on a towball at the back).
Don't forget to check those trailer tyres for cracks after the winter lay up. Lots of vans have flipped on the A47/A17 into Norfolk at the start of the season due to tyre failures.
Old 6th March 2017, 18:54   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
In my case yes it does. My job has me trekking across our green and pleasant land (the green bits) and anything less than a 4x4 is so useless that the client has banned any contractor from using anything else. That it is also a far superior tow vehicle and a more comfortable place to be than nearly any other vehicle I've used is a bonus.
I own both, and enjoy each car on their own merits, but knowing how good a Shogun is at towing and at wet fields/mud/bog I wouldn't subject my 75 to it. It also doesn't need to take the strain coming up to a hill, it just goes up at the same speed it was doing, no fuss.
I said on normal roads.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote