Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2017, 06:27   #11
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
You are probably correct on that, however I have been with BT since penny dial up 18 years back and have 99.9% of the time been quite happy.
Ken.
Similar with me Ken - we were always BT - in fact my Father worked for the Post Office since before WW2 !! when Telecoms and Post came under the same organisation. My Uncle ended up on the BT side and my Father on the PO side.

So for decades - I never considered using any other provider.

But when their outright lies became so obvious I changed and only then did the problem I was complaining about get sorted. The new provider also found that BT had recommended and was charging me for their fibre optic service which at the time was not available in my area.

I managed to get considerable compensation but the lies and BT's total lack of any sort of meaningful apology left a very bad impression indeed.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:13   #12
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Similar with me Ken - we were always BT - in fact my Father worked for the Post Office since before WW2 !! when Telecoms and Post came under the same organisation. My Uncle ended up on the BT side and my Father on the PO side.

So for decades - I never considered using any other provider.

But when their outright lies became so obvious I changed and only then did the problem I was complaining about get sorted. The new provider also found that BT had recommended and was charging me for their fibre optic service which at the time was not available in my area.

I managed to get considerable compensation but the lies and BT's total lack of any sort of meaningful apology left a very bad impression indeed.
Bad experiences can leave that nasty feeling.
When BT says in adds about their fibre broadband they don`t tell you (at least I have not seen) it`s mostly only fibre to cabinet and the end of the route to router in the home :-) is copper wire, so if you are miles away from a cabinet you would not get the b/band speed you were hoping for.
I think BT should try to negotiate renting from Virgin their fibre, I have had sockets in the corner of my last two homes, I have only thought of switching to Virgin on two occasions, loosing email addresses with BT is one factor to stay.
Ken.
Ken.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:32   #13
Darcydog
This is my second home

Losing my btconnect.com address was in reality only a minor inconvenience. In fact I easily updated all those contacts I wanted to and left all the dross - or so I thought!

About 6 months after changing I had a massive dump from bt whereby they re-activated my account to receive only and sent me a couple of thousand dross emails

They do this every four or five months it seems and I just highlight the lot and delete.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:38   #14
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Bad experiences can leave that nasty feeling.
When BT says in adds about their fibre broadband they don`t tell you (at least I have not seen) it`s mostly only fibre to cabinet and the end of the route to router in the home :-) is copper wire, so if you are miles away from a cabinet you would not get the b/band speed you were hoping for.
I think BT should try to negotiate renting from Virgin their fibre, I have had sockets in the corner of my last two homes, I have only thought of switching to Virgin on two occasions, loosing email addresses with BT is one factor to stay.
Ken.
Ken.
Exactly what happened to us Ken - there was not a fibre optic cable within 15 miles of where we live and we should never have been told that it would solve the issues we had with a very 'noisy' line.

Very poor service from BT IN every aspect and every respect.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:17   #15
The Incredible 'ULK'
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

We signed up around this time last year to receive unlimited broadband for £7.50p/m (excluding line rental and other bits) for a fixed period of 14 months, only to have them put the price up after the 7th month. Safe to say I wasn't impressed, and upon investigation their terms and conditions allow them to do this, so fixed price contracts mean absolutely nothing it seems.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:32   #16
Darcydog
This is my second home

This with BT Dan?
Old 21st April 2017, 09:35   #17
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

The trouble with BT is the mindset that says it is still a State company, take it or leave it. Whether separating Openreach out of it will make a difference we must wait and see. Plusnet? thought this one is also BT in another guise. My piece of copper runs at 6.25Mbs which is quite fast enough for me.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:48   #18
The Incredible 'ULK'
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
This with BT Dan?
Yes this is with BT
Old 21st April 2017, 15:45   #19
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
You are probably correct on that, however I have been with BT since penny dial up 18 years back and have 99.9% of the time been quite happy.
Ken.
He is correct Ken.I forgot to contact them before my 12 month contract ran out and they automatically withdrew the 'discounts ' applied to my account which resulted in another £44 to my quarterly bill.It's completely wrong that there is no notification that this is about to happen ,in fact I'm amazed it's legal.I'm very tempted to make some enquiries with Plusnet as their pricing seems more realistic.I understand that they are owned by BT so it makes you wonder why they operate a different price structure.

Old 21st April 2017, 16:07   #20
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I'm still waiting for BT to install fibre in my area - a London borough so not in the middle of no where - every time I check there website it's 5 months away and has been so for the last few years !

The only thing that has stopped me moving is my btinternet.com email address, but I've now bought my own domain name, so will be moving away very soon.
Closed Thread