Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2017, 21:37   #31
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Scrapping my diesel...a worry for me.

I live in Brighton and unfortunately its one of the worst places in the country for NOX levels and I can't afford a new car even if they were going to give me £2000 towards a new one

Its a bit of a bad situation for people like that can only afford cars which are second hand...not to mention the cost that I've paid to keep my car on the road each year, wish there was a deal with buying a second hand motor.
Old 21st April 2017, 21:40   #32
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
What ever the government do it is a mere drop in the ocean, even if we all drove the most environmentally friendly vehicles available it will have little or no effect on the environment.

The aircraft you get on to go on holiday puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in that one trip than your car will do in its entire life. Then you have economies like India, China and the like that have little or care of what they are putting into the environment.

Then you have the US, well if we all lived like the average US citizen we would need 22 planets.

Sorry to sound negative on the latest environmental saving campaign but it is to little to have any effect.

It's because we are an easy target. Simples. This will make the government look good and show the world they are doing something about it. But I agree, it will make very little difference. Most of the pollution comes from industrial production but they won't get shut down as they make mega bucks. We're just the small fish.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 21:43   #33
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'd have been more than happy to get £2000 for MFL.... sadly it was a clean V6 Petrol and I got £250 instead. If I got the £2000 from the govt, I could have bought a new Panda!!!!!
Old 21st April 2017, 23:17   #34
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default Horses mouth

Of course if you really want to know what the government might be considering rather than read the biased/slanted/apocryphal 'news' outlets (i.e. the tabloid press and their associated web-sites) then go read what was actually said in the recent debate upon which the current story about diesel scrappage appears to be based (although completely unreferenced by any of the 'news' articles I've seen so far). it's in the Hansard here
for anyone prepared to read through it. I've not waded all the way through yet but it's eye-opening that in-spite of the CO and NOx emissions actually having reduced by 20% in the last couple of decades (although the decline has leveled since 2010) that we are talking as if this is a worsening problem. the fact is it's not. What it is is lower and lower pollution limits being pushed (not necessarily a bad thing) driven by both the EU and WHO (World Health Organisation).

Some participants in the debate raised concerns the main ones being that incentives to buy a new car may not be the most effective solution especially as the incentive would only be a small assistance in the purchase and the people driving the older cars aren't necessarily the richest or most able to buy new cars in the first place. Another concern is that alternative fuels either require a huge amount of infrastructure (battery charging at roadside etc.) or aren't themselves particularly free from pollution themselves (e.g. Biomass fuels).

Add onto all that the recent call for a general election and the current winding down of parliamentary affairs and I can see this getting shelved until a new government is elected anyway....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 23:25   #35
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Take all the BS with a pinch of salt and get what suits you out of it. A kia puppy or whatever their eating this month might be your flavour of the month, but best of luck to you.
Myself I'll keep my zt 190, if it was an oilburner I'd keep that too...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 23:38   #36
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Mine is an oil burner, and I will be keeping mine. There is no scrappage scheme at the moment and I doubt there will be soon.
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:23   #37
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I then want to see newer aircraft in the skies, a lot of the aircraft up there are over thirty years old and, a major reason why our Summers are getting worse.
I wouldn't think so, not in Europe anyway. Older aircraft are simply too expensive for companies to run, most are long gone by that age. Newer aircraft are simply cheaper to run so are used as it makes economic sense to do so.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:42   #38
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Nope, I did the head gasket on this car as it is a service item, and I know what I'm doing
Well I'm keeping Alison. Fook what the ecomentalists say. Incidentally, I got questioned by an ecomentalist about Sara, my old '75. They asked why I was driving around in an old gas guzzler.

Now I knew said ecomentalist was a regular flyer so I asked when he last flew.

That finished the conversation.

Way I see it Alison is the most efficient solution for my high mileage. She uses very little fuel. So that's better than scrapping her and buying a new car.

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:37   #39
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
Well I'm keeping Alison. Fook what the ecomentalists say. Incidentally, I got questioned by an ecomentalist about Sara, my old '75. They asked why I was driving around in an old gas guzzler.

Now I knew said ecomentalist was a regular flyer so I asked when he last flew.

That finished the conversation.

Way I see it Alison is the most efficient solution for my high mileage. She uses very little fuel. So that's better than scrapping her and buying a new car.

What I have trouble with is: do these people really believe that a modern car of 2.0-2.5 litres and the size and comfort of the 75 actually does significantly better real world mpg than the 75 already does? OK, DPF etc may 'clean up' the particulate output but afaik does nothing for the other pollutants. I've heard in the past claims that 'my car does 70mpg' ... 'cruising at 60mph on the motorway in light traffice' ... 'struggles on motorway hills when loaded' - is an Hyundai i10/compact tin-box and cost £14k .... OK, perhaps we should settle for smaller lighter vehicles with smaller engines - I've got a bicycle which I use regularly for the commute to work now - it's only two miles away.

If they really cared they would just shorten their commute by moving closer to work or find jobs closer to home. Doing 60 to the gallon in a (new) 'clean' car and 20k miles a year is stupid if you could be doing only 2k miles a year in something else... just having a brain-whatever here...

Right, I'm off out to walk to the shops ...

Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:41   #40
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Many folks will be tempted with a scrappage scheme same as the last one.
Results online https://www.gov.uk/government/public...scheme-in-2009

I won't be chopping ours in as I don't want a new car but I am however looking for another car but with all the suggestions of increase in tax etc for diesel I'm unsure on what to get as a main family car petrol or diesel

Last edited by wullie480; 22nd April 2017 at 13:48..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote