Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Members Cars For-Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2017, 18:17   #1
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Intrigued by the heading, well please read on.

THE CAR

I purchased this car from a forum member about two and a half years ago, it was advertised as in excellent condition, which I suppose it was for a 1997 car, but for anyone that knows me, anything less than near perfection is not good enough. After taking stock of what I had purchased I decided that I needed or maybe wanted to restore this fine example of a 620ti to showroom condition or as near to as is possible.

The bodywork although sound had some slight paint crazing and minor scratches and dents, the brakes were almost non-existent, the wheels needed refurbing or better still swapping for some 17" Vitesse wheels, the tyres needed changing, the stainless single exhaust pipe needed putting back to twin as per original, the foglights needed replacing as they had water damage. If I was to keep this as was the plan I would also consider a full underbody and cavity seal with Dinitrol or similar.

The interior and mechanicals were in good order, so not much to do there.

THE WORK DONE

First job was to get the brakes to stop the car, which proved more difficult than we expected. Although the previous owner had fitted new calipers all round, it was found that the front ones did not match each other, so these were replaced with matching correct new parts. The flexible hoses were like toffee, so all of those were changed for HEL Performance stainless hoses. The brakes were still poor, so some brake pipes were replaced and for good measure the the ABS and servo units were replaced. Result, the brakes now worked! Forge blow-off valve fitted but I still have the original if you want to turn it to stock.

Next job was to book her into the bodyshop, where all the bodywork was assessed and it was decided that a full dismantle and respray was required to achieve perfection. It would also be prudent to replace the boot lid with a brand new one as it was felt it was too 'ripply' and would be noticeable even after attention. I found a new old stock genuine boot lid but this had factory holes for the optional spoiler, not deterred I found an original spoiler and that was stripped and painted to match and fitted.

It was in the bodyshop from October 2014 to 2nd January 2015 and a total of 65 hours was spent getting the car to look as though it was just leaving the showroom which it still does. All the trim, mirrors, bumpers, door handles, lights windows etc were removed, so it's a 'proper' job!

A new Pilkington shade-band windscreen was fitted after painting. The car was painted in DuPont White Diamond which is the original colour

The original 16' wheels and tyres were replaced with fully refurbished 17" Vitesse wheels powder coated and then lightly sanded and painted in Silver Sparkle shod with new Hankook Ventus Prime 214/45 x17 tyres and new centre caps, including the spare.

The foglights were replaced with brand new old stock parts as was the chrome grille. The headlights were fully restored and now sport a set of new original Rover headlight protectors.

The LED interior clock was replaced as the original suffered the usual loss of display.
The car was thoroughly serviced and the aircon regassed, new wiper blades fitted and a new Varta battery and new battery tray fitted. 4 wheel alignment, oil, and gearbox fluids changed.
Short shifter gear linkage fitted.

The original radio/ cassette was put back in the car and a set of new old stock 600 series floor mats fitted. Private registration was put on the car.

Soon after the car came back from the bodyshop, I booked it into Rustbuster in Lincolnshire and dropped off the car with them in March 2015 for 2 days whilst they completely cleaned the underbody, coated it with Dinitrol rustproofing treatment and also treated all the cavities. They reported that no repair work was required before the treatment, which is quite remarkable for an almost 20 year old 620ti. Cost £425.

The interior is clean, undamaged and original. There is a hard-wired dash cam fitted.
Including the cost of buying the car, the total spent to date is about £5,500.
The car is about as original as you can get with no silly modifications that sadly befall many of these cars.

ASKING PRICE

Please don't fall over (or laugh) when you see how much I want for this beautiful car, just bear in mind what a rare car in such magnificent condition you will be buying.

NOW SOLD

OTHER DETAILS

The car is a 1997 registered vehicle and it has 56,838 miles on the odometer. Since it's rebuild it has had dry summer use only and is currently garaged and SORN'd.

MOT is to August 2017, but a brand new MOT can be carried out for the new owner at no cost and obviously any work needed will be carried out.

The car, for most of it's life, was owned by a qualified engineer who carried out his own servicing and repairs, so there is little documentation, but the car speaks for itself.

WHY AM I SELLING?

You might well ask after spending so much money, why I want to sell it. The truth is my' weekend' car for many years was an open top 2 seater and I miss having one and cannot accommodate both. Before I get much older and unable to get into a sports car, I want to have another go at it, simple as that.

Here are a few pictures I have on file. Apologies for not having a comprehensive set especially the interior but the car is tucked up in the garage this weather.

Any questions or comments good or bad (but not nasty please), please feel free to PM me.

Ravinder, thanks for you PM and your kind comments.

Just added a bit more detail, I forgot it had a new windscreen after painting.

Many thanks to all who have sent me some nice PM's.

Last edited by vindaloo; 20th February 2017 at 20:36.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 16:50   #2
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Just nipped into the garage to snap a few interior shots.

Just to add it costs me £99 per year to insure with Peter Best on a classic policy limited to 3k miles.

Last edited by Dragrad; 13th February 2017 at 01:56.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
Old 17th February 2017, 18:11   #3
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Now listed on Car and Classic.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C838705
Old 20th February 2017, 20:38   #4
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

SOLD via car and classic. Very impressed with them, had lots of interest and I got £200 more than I was asking on here.