Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th March 2009, 22:25   #1
BoneyTony

MG ZT-T 135+ diesel

Thumbs up Symphony + CD changer - facelift models

Here is a guide to making a compatible Alpine CD changer work with the Symphony head unit in a facelift 75 or ZT, using the existing CD changer (IOVOX) connecting lead in the boot and the small blue ISO connector for the head unit. I’ve also assumed that you’ve changed the wiring of the grey ISO connector so that the Symphony works properly as a radio cassette.

I bought my Symphony & changer in June ’08 just after I bought the car, and spent many months reading forum posts & scratching my head with bits of wiring loom all around me. I had 2 'Eureka' moments which led to me solving the puzzle of why 2 compatible components wouldn't work in a 'facelift' ZT but obviously do work together in the older models.
  • The Symphony & changer will not work if you simply connect them together using all the correct plug pins. I know, I've tried! They MUST be connected via the car's K-Bus circuit (which feeds through the body control unit). This explains why the 'pre facelift' glovebox connecting lead does not simply connect the blue mini ISO to the CD connector, it has also integrates with other circuits, inc the K-Bus.
  • Although the wiring loom is different in facelift models with different colour coding, the car’s K-Bus wires are still coded Red / White / Yellow.
To do this job you need to be happy wielding a soldering iron, and you need a large bottle of persistence & patience!

HEAD UNIT END

Task: to connect the Symphony’s K-Bus feed to the car’s K-Bus ring

Method: Pin 19 on the blue ISO is the K-Bus feed out of the Symphony. You need to remove the white wire (plus any others attached to the pin – mine only had one) from Pin 19 of the ISO plug, & replace it with a K-Bus wire - Red / White / Yellow. I found mine feeding a small flat 4 pin plug taped to the audio loom connected to nothing, which I now know is for the low-line sat nav system – see picture. I bought the correct ISO plug pins from www.nexxia.co.uk. The white wire is too fine for a Scotchlok connection. You could cut the white wire leaving the plug pin intact & solder the K-Bus wire to it; I removed it complete with the pin (you need patience & a jewellers screwdriver to flatten the 2 tangs on the pin to do this) & attached a new pin to the K-Bus wire, inserting it into the ISO plug. That’s all you do at the ‘head end’.

BOOT END - CD CHANGER
Task: To connect the CD changer to the car’s CD cable and to the K-Bus ring.
Method:
You need a suitable lead with the small oblong 10 pin socket that connects to the changer’s plug. The VUL100320 lead often supplied is fine.
The cable that connects up to the old IOVOX CD unit terminates in a circular 8 pin DIN plug. You can choose to leave this intact and connect a suitable 8 pin DIN plug to the changer cable (as I did), or not bother with plugs & hard wire the CD player lead to the car’s cable.
You need to buy a suitable DIN socket from Maplin & be ready for some soldering.

The connections are as follows:
Note: DIN Pins numbered clockwise looking towards the CD cable, i.e. looking at the BACK of the socket that you need to solder, or the FRONT of the plug in the car. Pin 1 is to the left of the 'notch', 7 is to the right, 8 is in the centre

DIN socket pin 1 connects to the K-Bus. I used the Red / White / Yellow wire (using a 'scotchlok' piggy back) that connects to the parking sensor module on my car as it's below the CD changer. I think the loom is still there on “non-parking sensor” cars. Other connections:

The 10 pin oblong CD changer socket (on the separate lead that you hopefully have) has the pins numbered - you may need a magnifying glass to see them! To help, looking at the face of it, pins 5 & 10 are at the end with 2 lugs sticking out sideways - pins 1 & 6 are at the end with 1 lug.

Pin numbering (10 pin CD connector, description, then 8 pin DIN, then blue mini ISO + wire colour for info if you want to check continuity)

1 = Yel/Blk = Audio Rt +ve; DIN pin 2; ISO pin 14, green
2 = Blk/Yel – Audio Rt –ve; DIN pin 3; ISO pin 17, red
5 = Wh/Red/Yel, K-Bus (see text); DIN pin 1 (see text); ISO pin 19
6 = Pink/Blk, Audio Lf +ve; DIN pin 5; ISO pin 13, brown
7 = Blk/Pink, Audio Lf –ve; DIN pin 6; ISO pin 16, yellow
8 = Black, Chngr earth; DIN pin 4; ISO pin 15, orange
10 = Purple, Power; DIN pin 7; ISO pin 20, blue

Make sure the soldering is secure & there are no shorts - remember that power is fed down this cable as well as signal & earth.

My thanks to STUBIE for his post on 8th April '08.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG_KBus_3.JPG (42.8 KB, 448 views)
BoneyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 23:02   #2
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Your welcome and a great how to.

For the record this applies to non facelift 75's with the Iovox radio and cd changer in the boot also.

For the record I re ran another changer lead (a rare extra long theat Duotone kindly gave me) to the boot to allow my symphony changer to work as it should.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 21:55   #3
Ned999

Rover 75 CDTi auto

Default K-bus on facelifted 75 ?

Hello,

I have a facelifted 2005 75 CDTi which came with a horrible looking Kenwood head unit. I acquired a Symphony radio and compatible CD changer from another (older) 75 and managed to fit it. It all works fine – I had to reposition the wiring for the Steering wheel controls, but that now works fine. The CD changer also works (makes a noise), but the Symphony head unit can’t recognise it ( I understand I need to link it to K-bus circuit).
However, my facelifted 75 does not have a Red/white/yellow cable anywhere to be seen. The original CD changer was in the boot, but I never got it. I have the wiring diagram from Rave which shows this Red/white/yellow K-bus wire, but that is for the older 75’s.
Does anybody have any idea what colour is the K-bus wire on a facelifted 75?

Thanks
Ned999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 10:39   #4
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Hi Ned,
In addition to all the great gen above, you are about 9/10th there! I have a 2005 ZTT CDTI and replaced the awful IOVOX cd radio with the Symphony unit and cd changer - in my case in the boot. You need to locate the low line Sat nav connection which is normally taped to the wiring loom behind the radio. I have taken some photos which are attached which show the connector and the modified wiring. I snipped the K Bus lead where it goes into the connector and then connected it to the K Bus wire from Pin 19 on the blue connector and then on to the cd player...all works fine. On my car the K Bus is a very thin white wire with a red pin stripe and difficult to see yellow markings about every centimetre. i hope this helps
zan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 009A.jpg (119.8 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (127.9 KB, 162 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring.pdf (13.6 KB, 92 views)
zan110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:07   #5
Ned999

Rover 75 CDTi auto

Thanks ZAN110, I will have a look tonight.
My 75 also has a space for a CD-changer in the boot, but the wire I got with the Symphony is a short one for the glove box.
When you connected yours, did you use the existing cars wiring?

Will let you know how I get on...

Ned
Old 11th October 2010, 12:22   #6
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Hi Ned
I actually cut the short cable I had for the glove box and added in another 3metres to get to the back of the car.
Old 11th October 2010, 19:25   #7
Ned999

Rover 75 CDTi auto

Smile Result !

I managed to get it working. I dismantled half the centre console and could not find the K-bus wire (white/red/yellow). I eventually managed to find it in the boot on the parking sensor ecu (or whatever it's called). I just ran another wire from the boot and connected it like you suggested. It works superbly especially as mine has the optional Harman Kardon speaker system.

Zan111 – Thank you very much.

What on earth did everyone do before Internet and all these forums ?!

Regards
Old 12th October 2010, 07:27   #8
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Ned,
Glad to be of help!
zan
Old 24th May 2012, 19:21   #9
Pedders

Rover 75 tourer

Default Lost volume control on steering wheel any idea?

Hi, can anybody help me! I've fitted my cd radio (cd 80) from my 54 plate 75 into my wife's o4 plate mg zt and now I've lost the use of the steering wheel volume control but it worked fine In my 75. The radio removed from the zt was a horrible Kenwood any ideas please.
Pedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:32   #10
Duotone
This is my second home

The CD80 steering wheel controls are wired to the green small ISO plug as per this picture.

The wires are Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple

Dave T

Last edited by Duotone; 24th May 2012 at 19:38..
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote