Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2016, 15:20   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Swap to LED inside

Lidl had some GU4 35mm LED's at reduced prices and as my caravan uses 14 (yes 14) of these and surprisingly none have failed in my ownership, I thought I would buy all three that they had - to swap out the most used lights. Original was GU4 12v 10w, swapped for 3w LED's. What I found was many of the most used lamps had corrosion/ erosion on the pins, due to heat, current and oxidation. I have come across this often before, damage, burnt out pins and sockets, but on the 50w units - I didn't expect it on 10w lamps.

The 3w LED's are equivalent to 23w - so 2.5 times as bright for 1/3 the consumption.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:26   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

We changed the halogen spots to LED's in the headboard of our Wyoming because the halogen ones were so hot they made us have to sit oddly in bed so as to avoid the heat!

(is that too much info.....? )

The LED's were great if very expensive back then.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:38   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

No, we had the same problem on Tuesday night, it was a very warm night - not helped by halogens beaming done on your head.

We have just been over to the local Aldi again and I spotted another three lamps so I grabbed them £2.49 each - six swapped out now.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:05   #4
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Just done exactly the same (thanks to Coolcat). It was far too easy with the halogen reading lights to hit the glass of the bulb with your finger instead of the on/off swith - and they were HOT.
I also going to swap the awning light (it's a standard 12volt/21watt, rearlight/indicator bulb at the moment) for LED too.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote