Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2017, 16:20   #1
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Default Wrong wash technique?

Hi,
I would be very grateful for advise from the car valeters among you.
I will probably be slated for my car wash technique, but I can take it if I stop doing further damage.
I have owned a silver Rover 75 Tourer for the last 12 (twelve) years and always washed it the same way. It gleams and is virtually unmarked apart from the odd stone chip at the front. I spray it all over with a snow-foam gun containing Turtle Wax Professional Wash and Wax (ok, I know it is not snow foam). Then I use my Nilfisk/Kew pressure washer with the Nilfisk/Kew car wash brush attached to wash the car, followed by a high pressure rinse. Dry off using clean Costco micro fibre cloths. Done this for 12 years with no problem, no scratches and no swirls. Car looks beautiful.
Now the problem. Last August I treated myself to a seven month old BMW 520d Touring in Mediterranean blue. Beautiful. Same wash treatment and the car is starting to be covered in fine surface scratches in the clear coat. Get the light right and it looks like I have had ScotchBrite pad on the car!
I can only think it is the car wash brush causing the problem. But why did it never effect the Rover in so many years? Is modern paint so much poorer than older paint?
I have read that wash mitts are so much better. If this is the case if someone can recommend a particular one I will be grateful.
As I said I expect to be criticised for the way I wash, but in my defence I can only say I have only carried on doing what has worked so well and easily for me.
Advise GRATEFULLY received.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:35   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Hi,
I would be very grateful for advise from the car valeters among you.
I will probably be slated for my car wash technique, but I can take it if I stop doing further damage.
I have owned a silver Rover 75 Tourer for the last 12 (twelve) years and always washed it the same way. It gleams and is virtually unmarked apart from the odd stone chip at the front. I spray it all over with a snow-foam gun containing Turtle Wax Professional Wash and Wax (ok, I know it is not snow foam). Then I use my Nilfisk/Kew pressure washer with the Nilfisk/Kew car wash brush attached to wash the car, followed by a high pressure rinse. Dry off using clean Costco micro fibre cloths. Done this for 12 years with no problem, no scratches and no swirls. Car looks beautiful.
Now the problem. Last August I treated myself to a seven month old BMW 520d Touring in Mediterranean blue. Beautiful. Same wash treatment and the car is starting to be covered in fine surface scratches in the clear coat. Get the light right and it looks like I have had ScotchBrite pad on the car!
I can only think it is the car wash brush causing the problem. But why did it never effect the Rover in so many years? Is modern paint so much poorer than older paint?
I have read that wash mitts are so much better. If this is the case if someone can recommend a particular one I will be grateful.
As I said I expect to be criticised for the way I wash, but in my defence I can only say I have only carried on doing what has worked so well and easily for me.
Advise GRATEFULLY received.
If the car is only 7 months old then the manufacturer warranty will still apply, take it in to Mr BMW and ask them to take a look, and please stop using a pressure washer, use a two bucked method, a lambs wool mit and a quality shampoo and warm water. Wash, rinse, clay, polish and wax, perfect.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 11:00   #3
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

It will be the brush attachment that is marring the paint. It would have done the same on the silver it just lighter colours don't dont show it up as much as darker. Ditch the brush asap
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 11:15   #4
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Smile

Hi, thanks for all advise.
I agree it is the brush that is doing the damage. It is now banned.
I just wondered why the 75 still looks so good after all these years.
Any recommendations for a good washmit and how to keep my hands warm using it in this weather?
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 13:51   #5
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Hi, thanks for all advise.
I agree it is the brush that is doing the damage. It is now banned.
I just wondered why the 75 still looks so good after all these years.
Any recommendations for a good washmit and how to keep my hands warm using it in this weather?
I cannot fault the washmit i bought from Aldi last year, got three. Really good. I use warm water and dont mind but you can get sealskinz waterproof gloves. There any many styles.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote