Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2017, 13:43   #31
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevF6 View Post
No problem David - good luck and if you need a micro roller/handle/tray (which goes on better than just dabbing/rolling with a sponge in your fingers), then post #12 has the details. But if it's just a small piece that needs colouring then don't bother mate.

Kev

p.s. here is another supplier for the lacquer (sealant): https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Le...nt_Aerosol.php it might be worth trying this one as the other one I mentioned is a matt but it has an ever so slight sheen to it - this one may not?

EDIT: I have put all the details to buy from on post #12 now, all in one place.

It's post 8 you have updated, but thanks for all the links, I have ordered some of everything from the places you suggested including some light smokestone paint, so will report back when i have tackled the job.

Thanks for the "how-to", very useful.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 14:15   #32
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Hi David

Whoops, I'll edit that thanks. No problem let us know how it goes!

Kev

Done:
New leather & walnut steering wheel, headlight restore, new badges to rear & engine, walnut facia trims, full size spare wheel, timing belts, Plenum spy hole, DD head unit.

• This vehicle was the 67,855th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
• This vehicle was the 2,457th 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
KevF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 18:00   #33
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok guys, so yesterday I got my worn out walnut wheelie from ebay and today arrived my colour or pigment or dye from the guy that was specified in this thread from ebay (if anyone needs his ebay or details just pm me and I will provide them to you, he is a great person to talk to and he is dedicated to what he is doing and knows what he is selling, so I recommend him to anybody), and the colour matched my sandstone beige 100%. So, first I cleaned the wheel very good with a microfibre cloth and a cheap leather cleaner purchased from a local store which I also used to clean my seats and they look now like new, then also with another microfibre cloth I wiped the leather with white spirit, wiped it with a dry cloth, dried it with a hair dryer and then left it to dry on itself for 1 more hour, and then, with the small sponge provided by the guy on ebay that I bought the dye from, I started applying the first coat, moving the sponge on top of the leather in kinda small circular moves, but then I realised that this way it was leaving ugly stripes of colour and tried "tapping" the sponge on the surface without moving it across the leather, which makes it look 100% uniform and perfectly smooth. Applied the first coat, waited 2 hours while leaving it in a warm place, and applied the second coat the same way. It looks just like new, I guess almost nobody would tell that it is an used one only if I'd tell him first, will post pictures tomorrow when it is dried and ready to be fitted. I want to thank all of you for your advices and help provided, saved me 150 quid for the wheel because I didn't have to buy a new one, and another 100 quid when I painted the rear bumper on my own, that also being a 100% success because of this forum
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 19:06   #34
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well done rsnail!

I did suggest dabbing and not wiping Also if you want it to be more permanent apply a leather lacquer! Links were provided in post #8.

Be good to see the pics.

Done:
New leather & walnut steering wheel, headlight restore, new badges to rear & engine, walnut facia trims, full size spare wheel, timing belts, Plenum spy hole, DD head unit.

• This vehicle was the 67,855th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:58   #35
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So guys, as promised, pictures with the job done all dyed and fitted by myself

Anyways, now I have to take care of a walnut and chrome interior kit provided by Simon, a walnut topped gearknob, handbrake grip, double din stereo and some good speakers and my dream car will be done haha Taking it step by step though
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:53   #36
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Very nice. My kit of stuff to paint mine up has all arrived apart from the paint, but hopefully it will soon. Hope it comes up as well as yours
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:25   #37
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

If you use a sponge, just be careful when dabbing or tapping the colour on the wheel to continue dabbing until it is completely spread on the surface and kinda like smooth looking already, at least that's how I did it and got it perfect
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:21   #38
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well done rsnail - looking good!

There is a slight difference in shade, that could either be the pigment paint itself or because the centre piece hasn't been cleaned! If it's the pigment it may well go to the original colour as they sometimes need a few weeks to do settle down (to start ageing).

Don't forget to get some lacquer on there as any soils from your hands will work its way further and further into the actual colour - then it will be very hard to clean out and will need doing again, so the lacquer will prevent that.

Again - well done!

Done:

Old 3rd February 2017, 16:51   #39
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

For information the paint supplier linked to in post#8 has been making up a batch of light smokestone, hence why my order has not yet arrived. Will post up a pic once its done
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:52   #40
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Be good to see it when you've done David, keep us posted. By the way I have now posted a link on post #8 for a great leather aroma (it's the best one I have found and use it when cleaning restoring leather suites). Everyone who gets in to the car mentions how wonderful the leather smells

Done: