Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2016, 21:45   #41
Dexter

Rover 75

Hi there. i have just boust a 2002 2.5 V6 conni petrol automatic. do i need to put any thing on to the car other than the tow bar. secondly what is the best type of tow bar to look for, should i do it my self or get someone to do it for me.
thanks for any help given. Robin.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 02:11   #42
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

You need to just add the towbar/ball and the electrics for towing, the bar is straightforward, the electrics less so. Then you need to advise your insurco that you have it fitted, as it is a modification. It should not cost any extra, but then you are covered to tow.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 20:33   #43
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
I have towed my caravan with a few cars now, a 116 75 tourer, a 160 mapped saloon (not as good as the tourer surprisingly) an old Mazda 6 and my mondeo.

Both 75's never had a problem and would stil manage 350 miles to a tank towing which I though was pretty good especially considering they are autos. My van weighs about 1350kg so a little lighter than some but always towed without issue. The 2.5 auto I've got now is horrible compared with the diesels but still tows well at speed.

Lovely looking van ..... and why would I say that....

maybe because I tow one

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 22:16   #44
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Lovely looking van ..... and why would I say that....

maybe because I tow one

Not that your biased at all Keith
Old 5th September 2016, 22:22   #45
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
I
My van weighs about 1350kg so a little lighter than some but always towed without issue.

Mine is even lighter,at 1200kg mtplm, tend to agree with you about the comparison between tourer and saloon,.
My saloon was manual cdt with 160 map, the tourer is auto cdt,again with 160 map,but it seems to tow the van better than the saloon did.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:00   #46
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

I tow my caravan (1400kg)with my Freelander TD4 and my Rover 75 tourer,

The tourer has had the 160 remap and pull the caravan with ease and is slightly better in tow than the Freelander TD4

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:04   #47
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

I spent 5 years towing my 1450kg MTPLM caravan with trips as far as St. Austell in Cornwall and The Black Isle, North of Inverness).

It was an original 115bhp engine, which Marinabrian upgraded to the Xpower 130(135?) spec. (before the 160 map was available). The ONLY problem I had was a horrendous traffic jam up a steep hill in Cornwall, where the handbrake struggled to hold the car and the 'van. I had to sit with my foot on the footbrake and 'heel and toe' it to move off. The worst economy I got (checked from full tank to full tank) was 32.9 - which included 200+ miles on the A9 between Perth and Inverness - not ideal towing country

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 19:20   #48
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

We have been running around, often up and down the M3 to the New Forest, and down the M5 to holidays in Devon/Dorset, with this 4 berth Elddis and 'Sky', our Rover 75 2.0ltr petrol saloon. Not having had the pleasure of driving the tourer version, I cannot offer a comparison but can say that the car has coped more than admirably. Never gone stupid, just enjoyed the journey, agreed a bit slower than normal but Sky has always performed well. The roads across from Taunton to Woolacombe are a great test. No problems.

We are selling both now as we are looking to raise funds for a smaller and newer caravan but the Rovers do the job well.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 15:01   #49
sn1958
Regular poster

MGZTT 190SE

Well we got our caravan much later than planned (approx 4 weeks ago) and I knew I was pushing my luck with the weight of van we picked up, our Rover 75 Tourer just doesn't like towing the caravan
We went with a Swift Challenger 570 and it was right on the towing limit, so I have been using my V8 Discovery to tow with instead. We have decided its time to replace our old faithful Rover 75 Tourer with something better suited to towing and as a daily driver. After months of pondering what to replace the 75 with we have decided to replace it with a Land Rover Discovery Sport. It will be a said farewell for the Rover 75 ... I will be keeping my ZTT 190 though
sn1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 21:08   #50
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a cdt towing a 2013?Lunar quasar 525, 5 birth. Whist in its 115 BHP setting it was harder work then I would have liked. Remapped to 160BHP has made quite a difference. Even if yours is a CDTI the 29BHP extra a remap gives you will be noticeable. If you like the 75 can anyone close to you let you tow with their remapped car? A remap may be worth considering as its cheaper then changing the car.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote