Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th November 2016, 21:18   #1
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Car cleaning - basics

Ok maybe a bit of a novice post maybe ... But now my Rovers retired from main car duties it would be mice to clean it up a bit ... So once it's all polished up I don't want to make a mess of it again cleaning it badly

So general washing, what's the best way, I've seen snow foams recommended, pre washes in pressure sprayers ? Etc etc ... Lots of confusion

I've got access to a pressure washer though it's an industrial one for fleet vehicles so has a TFR in it, is hat basically what the prewash is ?

I've got autoglym shampoo and wax I use for normal washing anytay so it's the prewash/foam bit I'm confused on
Athorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 21:31   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

As a valeting novice, the one thing I can tell you is that until you get it spotless clean it's not going to matter too much what you use. Once clean, polished and waxed then it becomes a matter of maintenance and the last thing you want to do when it gets to that stage is use something that removes all your hard work of laying down layers of protective sealants and waxes.

The first job then is to get it clean
The second is to get it polished
The third is to get it protected
then to get the shine enhanced

then you maintain it when what you use to wash it becomes important.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 22:36   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorpe View Post
Ok maybe a bit of a novice post maybe ... But now my Rovers retired from main car duties it would be mice to clean it up a bit ... So once it's all polished up I don't want to make a mess of it again cleaning it badly

So general washing, what's the best way, I've seen snow foams recommended, pre washes in pressure sprayers ? Etc etc ... Lots of confusion

I've got access to a pressure washer though it's an industrial one for fleet vehicles so has a TFR in it, is hat basically what the prewash is ?

I've got autoglym shampoo and wax I use for normal washing anytay so it's the prewash/foam bit I'm confused on
Hi

What I would do If I were you, is clean the car thoroughly to begin with in order to then keep on top of it later which will make it easier to maintain.

If you want to clean your car properly for the first time, then this is what I would do. You want all surfaces of the car to be as clean as possible before using any polish and sealant to protect the paintwork.

This is what I do if doing a winter or summer detail:

Snow foam helps loosen the dirt before the main wash. If your pressure washer is able to attach a foam lance, then it is worth purchasing one. They're not very expensive. It isn't essential, however. So, if you'd rather work with what you have already, then that is fine.

Without the foam wash, what I do is pressure wash the car thoroughly to get rid of any loose dirt.

If washing the car properly for the first time, I will use an all purpose cleaner (any will do) and spray this around various areas of the car, door handles, chrome bits, front bumper, lights, roof, petrol cap, etc and use a small brush to agitate it. This will clean up these areas. Once you've done this, use the pressure wash to rinse off.

I use the two bucket cleaning method which is recommended. One bucket with just plain water and another bucket with your soapy water. Oh, and Autoglym shampoo is a very good shampoo so stick with that if you have it already.

Also, use a wash mitt instead of a sponge to minimise swirl/scratches to your bodywork. I use two mitts. One for the top half of the car and one for the bottom half of the car.

After, each time of using the mitt in the soapy water to wash the bodywork, rinse the mitt into the plain water bucket and squeeze it to get any dirt out of the mitt to avoid damage to the bodywork and to avoid using dirty water again.

Once you've done the whole car, rinse thoroughly and go over any bits you may of missed.

Once you're happy with this, dry the car using soft microfibre towel(s). Pat dry is the best way instead of wiping across the paintwork, again to avoid damage.

Also, avoid washing your car in direct sunlight or hot weather as this makes the cleaning process difficult as it will leave water stains all over the car which can be stubborn to remove.

Then, what I will do is remove any tar marks on the car. Your car will have some like every other car from road tar. Usually found on the bottom half of your car. I use a product called "Tardis" which is highly recommended in the detailing world but it does work wonders. You spray it across the car bit by bit, leave it on for about 30 seconds or so and wipe off with a clean microfibre cloth. It is important that you apply this after you have dried the car. If car is wet, it won't work properly as it won't get a chance to stick to the paintwork in order for it to do its job.

Once all done, clean the car again! Either rinse it thoroughly or quickly go over it again with soapy water and dry it.

Then you want to remove iron deposits from the car. I use a product called Carpro Iron X. Again, like the tar remover, do one panel at a time. Simply spray, leave it on for a few seconds, agitate it with a small brush or mitt and then rinse it off. Don't leave it on for any more then a few minutes otherwise it will dry and difficult to remove.

Once you've done this, wash the car again!

It may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't that bad really. You can do it over a couple of days or so.

The final cleaning process before applying polish is claying. This is a must. This will remove any fine dirt on the bodywork that you can't always see. Also very good for removing bird poo stains. Buy a medium size clay bar, break it up into two or three bits. Using soapy water as lubricant, go over the bodywork with the clay bar throughly doing one panel at a time. It is very important to keep it well lubricated. When you rub it, it should simply glide over the paintwork with ease. If it doesn't it means it isn't lubricated enough. You will see the amount of dirt that sticks to your clay bar. You will be surprised what you see!
Also, keep folding the clay bar using a clean area each time as you don't want to be damaging the paintwork with a dirty side.

Once you've done all this, wash the car thoroughly again using the two bucket method and then dry.

Now you can start the polishing process. A machine polish will achieve better results but doing it by hand is fine also. Something like Autoglym Super resin polish is a good place to start. Rub it in thoroughly panel by panel and then use a clean microfibre cloth to buff it off then do the same with the wax/sealant after. It is important to apply a sealant after you have polished it in order to protect the paintwork and the hard work you have done. Otherwise, it will all be undone. (Don't polish it each time. If you regularly maintain it as above, you should only have to polish your car twice or maybe three times a year).

After each wash in future (do this regularly, dry it thoroughly and apply wax to keep on top of the paintwork.

Also, I would clean the wheels first and arches etc, that is what I do anyway. And again, apply a sealant on the wheels to keep clean.

And then do all your exterior trim. You can use metal polish on the chrome bits to make them shine and black trim polish etc.

I've probably missed some bits. Any questions, just ask. I'm due to do my winter detailing soon, but this weather isn't making it easy!

Hope that helps.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 06:10   #4
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thanks Rav, that is a good in depth write up

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 08:33   #5
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Ravinder for the detailed post ... When the weather gives me chance I'll give it a go
I've got autoglym paint sealer but not used it so I guess that's shampoo, Polish and sealer sorted
I'll have a look at foam lances and for these clay bars .. Are they all much the same or some better than others?

Are there any particular products to look for to clean/protect the wheels
Old 27th November 2016, 11:15   #6
Ravinder
This is my second home

I will post in more detail later.

Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Old 27th November 2016, 14:09   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
I will post in more detail later.
There's more?

You've already covered more steps than my cars get in a whole year!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 16:18   #8
Ravinder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorpe View Post
Thanks Ravinder for the detailed post ... When the weather gives me chance I'll give it a go
I've got autoglym paint sealer but not used it so I guess that's shampoo, Polish and sealer sorted
I'll have a look at foam lances and for these clay bars .. Are they all much the same or some better than others?

Are there any particular products to look for to clean/protect the wheels
Hi

Have you got polish already? You will want a seperate polish and wax.

Most clay bars are fine. You don't have to spend big. I tend to use Bilt Hamber ones and have used them for several years:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html

Some clay bars are harsher or softer then others. I always buy regular and it does the job fine. You will find once you have clayed the car, your paintwork will feel super smooth when you run your hand over it. If you were to do it now, you will feel lots of small rough patches. This is what the clay bar will help remove.

With wheels, when cleaning for the first time, use APC. If that doesn't shift it, try a stronger solution or a wheel cleaner. PLenty of wheel cleaners out there. I use Bilberry. It isn't the best stuff but for me it does the job fine. Others may disagree. There are so many options out there. Most of my detailing stuff is from the website above. Also, look at Halfords 3 for 2 deals that they do as sometimes you can pick up some useful things from there too, especially the Meguiars stuff.

If I were you, the things I would buy is:

2 buckets (cheap ones will be fine) a bucket is a bucket

2-3 wash mitts.

shampoo (you already have)

clay bar

tar remover (highly recommend Autosmart Tardis)

iron deposit remover (something like carpro iron x)

gloves (don't want to get nasty chemicals on your hands)

foam lance (up to you)

snow foam for your foam lance

plenty of microfibre drying towels and cloths

polishing and wax buff pads

all purpose cleaner (tesco or any other supermarket)

brushes of different sizes for wheels, nooks and crannies (get these online or from pound shop, Asda etc)

metal polish

trim dressing

tyre gel

polish

wax/sealant

Think that it is. You don't have to spend big either. If you need any help when buying, just ask. I have had most of my stuff for a few years now and when starting out, I was buying all the fancy stuff which I still use as I have plenty left yet but realised over the years there is plenty of cheaper options out there.

Hope that helps.

Royal Blue (JFM)

Old 27th November 2016, 19:12   #9
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Before winter and the bad weather set in I applied a good coat of Collinte 476s wax to provide a good layer of protection.

Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 22:08   #10
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the posts ,

Polish I have is autoglym super resin polish, and have there paint sealer ... Are they and good or should I look for something else

I have a separate carnubra (might be spelt wrong!) wax

Have got buckets, and microfibres cloths so need mitts and brushes for the wheels etc
I've got Peek metal polish
Have got a twin pad power polisher but not used it

I'll leave the foam for now then and get the other bits, they look more important first