Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2017, 15:28   #1
jagfan1

rover 75 2.5 v6 club se

Angry boot lid lock or solenoid

Hi i have a 52 plate club se and when i put key in the boot lock it is very stiff and does not seem to unlock the boot properly there are two loud clunks as if the solenoid comes on then off again if i try turning key it seems very tight i am afraid it might break key also if i push button by drivers seat same loud clunks but on repeated pushes the boot does open also if lid opens when using key when you close boot it wont close properly till you turn key and then close lid i have tried putting wd40 in key hole but still stiff any ideas and would i need to souce a new solenoid or key barrel ken
jagfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:40   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

When you get the boot open look under the lid. You'll see two rubber "feet", they are adjustable, turn them out a bit. Try that.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:25   #3
jagfan1

rover 75 2.5 v6 club se

Question

thanks will have a look tomorrow ken
Old 4th February 2017, 08:06   #4
JoeMc
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 / BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan1 View Post
Hi i have a 52 plate club se and when i put key in the boot lock it is very stiff and does not seem to unlock the boot properly there are two loud clunks as if the solenoid comes on then off again if i try turning key it seems very tight i am afraid it might break key also if i push button by drivers seat same loud clunks but on repeated pushes the boot does open also if lid opens when using key when you close boot it wont close properly till you turn key and then close lid i have tried putting wd40 in key hole but still stiff any ideas and would i need to souce a new solenoid or key barrel ken
WD40 will help initially; but it will also strip the lock of all water and any other grease in there!

Repeat this process and use the key to turn the lock a few times to get it loosened off and then let the WD40 dry off overnight. Repeat again the day after but use lithium grease (WD40 brand do this in a spray can with a straw attachment)!

And as already stated; adjust the rubber stoppers a bit higher so that the boot lid 'springs' up when unlocked
JoeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 18:27   #5
jagfan1

rover 75 2.5 v6 club se

Smile boot lock

hi found that the inside of key barrel both the lugs was broken and a metal part was broken in half bought a key barrel and mounting on ebay stripped both down and replaced broken parts appears to work okay now there was a thread in forum showing pics of how to dismantle and assemble the key lock and which parts break many thans for all the help ken
Old 20th February 2017, 18:32   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

So nice to see somebody take the time to return and close a thread off with the solution (Despite your user name )

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 11:53   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan1 View Post
hi found that the inside of key barrel both the lugs was broken and a metal part was broken in half bought a key barrel and mounting on ebay stripped both down and replaced broken parts appears to work okay now there was a thread in forum showing pics of how to dismantle and assemble the key lock and which parts break many thans for all the help ken
Hi is this any help:?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=128721
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote