Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2017, 16:35   #1
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Default Please enlighten me with regards Clutches

Hi all,
I have had a good read through the forum with regards to the clutch problems and have found things like the solid flywheel upgrade instead of the DMF.. is this good or bad or a waste of time?

Ok, I see that DMGR offer a B&B clutch for a good price, now even though I have only just bought this vehicle I am still weighing up whether or not to throw it all away-because it is supposedly scrap value with a dodgy clutch/master/slave or just go the hog on it, trouble is my better half actually loves the car as is use to our non turbo 306 Pug lol which would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.(Shame because in 4 years of owning the Pug it has flown through every mot and has given us no issues whatsoever) But, it is slow, sluggish and smokes like a Barbie.)

I do not have money to burn, but it is only money and I could spend it on another can of worms.
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 17:11   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The only enlightenment needed is:

1. Only use branded, quality parts, Luk, B&B etc.

2. Replace slave cylinder at the same time i.e. a 3-piece kit.

3. Only have the work done by soemone who is experienced with our cars - one of the forum traders or a garage/mechanic recommended by members.

4. The person replacing the clutch will be able to examine the DMF and advise on whether replacement is needed - usually it is not as they are long-lasting.

The cost of a new clutch/slave etc. is significantly less than the value of a usable car!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 17:17   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

First & foremost, I would forget the solid flywheel conversion kit as these have been known to snap crankshafts.
Fit nothing but a good quality clutch including slave cylinder/release bearing (concentric slave so all-in-one).
DMGRS sell top quality clutches & members also have a liking for LUK.
Check the tolerance on the DMF when gearbox & clutch is removed.

Beaten to it
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 17:47   #4
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Don't know if i am too far away for you (60 miles) but clutch replacement at Milton Keynes is £400 using B&B clutch and LUK slave.

Just picked a free car with a horrendous whine from the release bearing when the pedal was pressed, after it was bleed on-site in Corby, still managed to drive it to MK ok

this is what we found...

Last edited by Phil-T4; 18th July 2018 at 07:25..
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:11   #5
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Don't know if i am too far away for you (60 miles) but clutch replacement at Milton Keynes is £400 using B&B clutch and LUK slave.

Just picked a free car with a horrendous whine from the release bearing when the pedal was pressed, after it was bleed on-site in Corby, still managed to drive it to MK ok

this is what we found...
Hi Phil,impressive !
looks like some overheating melt the plastic and the balls felt in the bottom of the bell .....
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:15   #6
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Spot on Mike, had to break it off the guide tube, plastic and spring were moulded together!!
Old 4th February 2017, 18:25   #7
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Spot on Mike, had to break it off the guide tube, plastic and spring were moulded together!!
Ha ,and the coat of oïl/grease comes from the bearing or from the fluid ?

No hesitation for replacing all ,then
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 18:26   #8
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Its fluid/dirt, it had been leaking for a long time, owner had a Tazu master fitted as the garage said there were no leaks and the pedal stuck on the floor was a failed master cylinder!!
Old 4th February 2017, 18:51   #9
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Quote:

this is what we found...
Hi Phil,

We are at PE8 6XN but often go to Bedford as have family there, If I cannot find anyone closer I shall have it brought down to MK, and is it also recommended to have the Tazu master put in at the same time? I read on a post earlier about a clutch pedal dropping to the floor the same as this one.

@mss

Do the usual garage mechanics not compare to ones recommended on the forum due to lack of Rover knowledge?

If I can get the job done for around £500 I would not hesitate at getting it done and sorting all the little issues out using the forum advice.
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 19:05   #10
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxyem View Post
Hi Phil,

We are at PE8 6XN but often go to Bedford as have family there, If I cannot find anyone closer I shall have it brought down to MK, and is it also recommended to have the Tazu master put in at the same time? I read on a post earlier about a clutch pedal dropping to the floor the same as this one.

@mss

Do the usual garage mechanics not compare to ones recommended on the forum due to lack of Rover knowledge?

If I can get the job done for around £500 I would not hesitate at getting it done and sorting all the little issues out using the forum advice.
Worth going to Phil T4 because as well as doing a good job on your clutch, he can give you a once over on his T4 to see if there are any issues. Also whilst it is on his T4 there are various options that can be added in or taken out according to your personal preferences.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote