Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2017, 12:20   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Thoughts on Xtrons

Hello guys, so, after scrolling though the Navall specs decided to buy one, a Navall Star specifically, but after scrolling through all the pages regarding the unit on the forum here, I came to the conclusion that a lot of people have issues with it that are either annoying or coming out of nowhere, won't say them because those that have or know the unit already know what I'm talking about. So, I decided to buy this:

https://www.androidice.co.uk/car-mak...head-unit.html

It's a Xtrons PG7546BA, I really like it more, and it's Android 5.1, the interface seems more eye-pleasing, and as far as I can see it has all of the things that a Navall Star would have at a slightly lower price, does anyone own or know some things about one of these and can give me some thoughts about it?
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 12:37   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Hello guys, so, after scrolling though the Navall specs decided to buy one, a Navall Star specifically, but after scrolling through all the pages regarding the unit on the forum here, I came to the conclusion that a lot of people have issues with it that are either annoying or coming out of nowhere, won't say them because those that have or know the unit already know what I'm talking about. So, I decided to buy this:

https://www.androidice.co.uk/car-mak...head-unit.html

It's a Xtrons PG7546BA, I really like it more, and it's Android 5.1, the interface seems more eye-pleasing, and as far as I can see it has all of the things that a Navall Star would have at a slightly lower price, does anyone own or know some things about one of these and can give me some thoughts about it?
All well and good until you start adding a couple goodies, then the price starts to get heady, I looked at this on your thread and adding what I wanted took it up too over £400.
Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 13:17   #3
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I've been thinking a lot about this recently for one reason or another and although I love a gadget as much as the next man my problem with all the touch-screen double din's is that non of them are really designed to be used in a car. Primarily the menus are quite fiddly to use when actually driving (sat in your drive or a car park it's easy, but when actually driving often not so easy) and there aren't enough big actual buttons to press.

My ideal head unit would probably be a Symphony type thing with all the radio buttons etc and a wider screen across the top for the sat nav BUT no one makes anything like that (I know, Highline - but a sat nav with outdated maps is worse than no sat nav in my opinion)

I do actually miss a double din thing sat looking back at me but since putting my original Harmony back in - then 'upgrading' to a Symphony with an Aux in adaptor for a phone/mp3 player I can honestly say, in terms of functionality at least, that I don't miss them and with a bit of careful shopping it's cost me all of £25 , the old stuff just 'works' and I find I can enjoy driving again rather than getting annoyed at technology not working properly

Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by mystabe; 7th February 2017 at 13:26..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 13:28   #4
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, Rev, I didn't buy any accesories for it, just the obd reader, I don't need no dab receiver because I connect it to my internet and I can listen to every single radio that I want, reverse camera also not a thing that I would need, tv also not because it makes no sense for me watching tv while driving lol or in a car, so yeah for the things that I wanted it for it is relatively cheap.
And mystabe, of couse, if you think of it like that yeah, actually every other activity that doesn't have to do with driving is hard or actually even dangerous to do while driving, but I think this one is fair enough because all the buttons that you would need to use while driving plus you have the steering wheel buttons so you won't have to mess around with it while driving, now it only comes to what you wa nt to do with it. For me, it is just that it looks good, does and has all that I want it to have, and it brings a sensation of modern to the car But regardin my question, I would be more intersted in the functionality and software and quality of the product, if anyone knows some issues with it or bugs or whatever, anything would be of help
Old 7th February 2017, 13:37   #5
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I was aware my post wasn't entirely relevant

Most people who have the double dins fitted on here though have Navall ones however so you might struggle a bit with long term opinions on Xtrons as oposed to 'I've just fitted it and it's great'

however
Save
Old 7th February 2017, 13:44   #6
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Ive had my Xtrons on my ZT fitted y Jubbarelly on here.. i have the rear view camera fitted and its wired up to the Harmon Kardon set up. It sounds really good compared to the standard high line that was fitted. Everything is easy to use whilst driving. Sat nav is brilliant, only niggle fr me would be that it doesnt have high and low level crossover controls for the subwoofer.
Cheers
Phill
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 14:00   #7
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Does it make a noticeable difference in sound quality if I have original speakers?
Old 7th February 2017, 14:10   #8
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Does it make a noticeable difference in sound quality if I have original speakers?
I found it can make a huge difference BUT it depends a lot on the app you're using at the time - I don't notice much difference in the radio for example (although I do miss the 'loudness' button a bit ) but I can tell the difference when playing MP3's or whatever - depends on the app mostly......
Save
Save

Last edited by mystabe; 7th February 2017 at 14:12..
Old 7th February 2017, 14:30   #9
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Mystabe, the loudness button? What do you mean with this? The loudness button from what unit and what unit do you have now?
Old 7th February 2017, 14:33   #10
kitt
Avid contributor

BMW F30 Had a MG ZT

Hi Rsnail

I have the same unit as you, It replaced a single din Sony unit. Mine was also fitted by Jubbarelly.

Do the standard speakers sound better with this new unit compared to the Sony....Yes they sure do, 200% better. But you will never get the deep sound of a Harmon Kardon set up. But as a first step sure it will sound better.

As for the touch screen I have no issues using it when driving and the Apps all seem to work ok. For GPS I use Sygic and this seems to work ok.
kitt is offline   Reply With Quote