Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2017, 22:15   #61
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Powerful enough cat will sort it.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 22:34   #62
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
Can't wait to see the MOT Certificates for these cars once the older engine is fitted.
The emissions test is applicable to to the criteria set by the engines age, and not that of the vehicle the engine is fitted to

So if the engine originates from a 1990 car, it is tested based upon the figures applicable to that car, or in the case of the OP's planned LPG conversion, an emissions test is a non catalyst test for pre 1986 cars in any event

Even so I don't think <3.5% CO is going to be hard to achieve, the exact reason why my 1800T XW Tourer will be running on LPG.....oh and the fact 38 MPG running on LPG equates to circa 78 MPG equivalent cost to running on diesel

Brian

BTW the stroke of the T series turbo is 89mm, as opposed to 89.3 in the case of the K series turbo, so the adaptive learning of the MEMS3 will take care of that no problem at all
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 23:25   #63
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Who needs cat's. 1993 was i think cat cut off time. And unless the tester really knows what he is looking at the as far as he is concerned it's pretty cat so Mot shouldn't be a problem really.

The reluctant ring on the v6 and the 1.8 are the same diameter o thought? Just heat it up and swap over with the v6 one. U have a solid flywheel so still gave the t16 reluctant ring. With the v6 starter ring. It's all good fun this experimenting. Next big issue I have is the plumbing. As I have to move the radiator forward but not to far as to block the fmic I have to fit. Along with the aircon rad.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Last edited by 2.2-600-vtec; 21st February 2017 at 23:28..
2.2-600-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 00:45   #64
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Plenty of smartarses on here who know better than me, show me how then

Last edited by minimutly; 22nd February 2017 at 06:34..
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 06:40   #65
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Too many fu.....ng smartarses on here who know better than me, show me how then
Strange how there's little useful advice?
Sorry about that. I think as this is all experimental no one wants to look silly.

When I first spoke about this on the forum nobody was intreasted so I just assumed this was not the forum for modified zt's, so asked elsewhere about what's needed and work 90 percent out myself.

On another note both turbo's now fully mounted just the downpipe from wastegate and secondary turbo to build. Then it's intercooler and filter assembly. Then rad and electrics

Old 22nd February 2017, 18:13   #66
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Well I'd had a beer or two and the number of people who post negatively proffessing to know everything gets to me sometimes - better engines, emmissions issues, mot issues, reliability issues (yes indeed), and few, but not all of these add anything positive. So not for the first time I apologise humbly

So currently there are two threads here on this, mine and vtec2.2s. Mr vtec please keep yours up as well, it will be good to have a comparison between the two ways to skin the cat - two turbos is tickling me allready...
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:17   #67
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Well I'd had a beer or two and the number of people who post negatively proffessing to know everything gets to me sometimes - better engines, emmissions issues, mot issues, reliability issues (yes indeed), and few, but not all of these add anything positive. So not for the first time I apologise humbly

So currently there are two threads here on this, mine and vtec2.2s. Mr vtec please keep yours up as well, it will be good to have a comparison between the two ways to skin the cat - two turbos is tickling me allready...

Thanks for that.

i am intreasted in how the 1.8t ecu handles the t16 to be honest after the lack of positive response from ZandF, as you say if it can do it, why on earth do the zr and zs boys struggle so much when they could just remap, if you can get it working right you could sell people doing zr conversions the map to save them so much hassel.

I needed 2 turbos as my compression is very low on the o/m/t setup and as its a estate low end power is also advisable as well as the added efficiency when cruising around, the T turbos always for me had better fuel economy than the v6's so would like to keep that if not improve it with the extra back pressure and reduced intake drag low end.
i may plumb the small turbo almost directly to the throttle body comparativly speaking and only let the large twin entry turbo blow through the intercooler, all depends on what pipes i can get

There are others doing supercharged and turbo charged but although awesome the supercharger was for me added drag.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:14   #68
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Wasn't the bmw lump from the previous mechanical injection Bmw's and rover built the common rail and had a softer crankshaft fitted?. Although is the bmw mini cooper d not the same engine or is it the later chocolate cam chain tensioner engine. That is a very poor built engine it would seem.
Shame as bar the noise the l series diesel I thought was a better engine definitely had more get up and go than the lazy bmw unit.

Old 23rd February 2017, 16:58   #69
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

Ouch not good mate.
Loverly monty turbo's. Very nice
Sadly with a house full of kids I only get evenings to play so slow progress for me. Going to start rebuilding the rear of the engine bay and hope the diesel heater will still fit as I did like that function before. May try and finish the exhausts at the weekend well at least tack it together.

Old 23rd February 2017, 18:34   #70
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2-600-vtec View Post
Thanks for that.

i am intreasted in how the 1.8t ecu handles the t16 to be honest after the lack of positive response from ZandF, as you say if it can do it, why on earth do the zr and zs boys struggle so much when they could just remap, if you can get it working right you could sell people doing zr conversions the map to save them so much hassel.

the zr conversions would have to use the zt ecu, so no real gains for them there, and as for z&f i doubt theyve ever had such an enquiry.

There are others doing supercharged and turbo charged but although awesome the supercharger was for me added drag.
Well since you mention it, i do have a twincharged mgf project on the go here, BIG turbo blowing into roots blower - shock horror on a t series engine!