Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th February 2017, 07:51   #21
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
We have a Jaguar S-type, and a couple of days ago, a friend phoned me and told me about this X-type where the owner has just been quoted about 1800 Pounds to replace the ABS modulator. The owner has been offered Pounds 1200 if traded in on a new Volvo. Jaguar offered 125 Pounds more.

The problem was a flat battery, caused by the ABS pump continuously running and draining the battery. The owner bought a new battery, but the problem persisted.

I spoke to the owner and offered another 125 Pounds, and bought the car.

This is a fully serviced one owner car with 78000 miles, silver with black leather the baby V6 2.1 liter. Immaculate.

I have had a look, and after taking the modulator PCB off, I have insulated the feed to the pump, and stopped it from running. The ABS light is on, but all works perfectly, except for no ABS and the handbrake warning light is on.

i have never liked the looks of the X-type, but after having driven it, I have a couple of comments, in comparison to the Rovers I have.

The car is much firmer sprung than the !.8T we have, but similar to my V6 or V8. It is a front-wheel drive unit with a baby V6. On looking at the engine bay, it looks well sorted, aluminium inlet manifold, far less plastic, almost silent!. Taking off the oil filler cap, it is perfectly clear, no soot or deposits, and underneath the aperture a perfectly shining silver coloured assuring cam chain!!
The car starts immediately, pulls evenly without any noticeable peaks or troughs, the automatic gearbox is smoother and shifts noticeably faster and smoother than the k-series Rovers. About 40 km/h in top OD per 1000 revs.
The cabin is nice, the seats real leather, the instruments not as nice as the Rover the radio far better, the A/C very effective and all in all on par with the Rover.
I have not decided what to do with the modulator yet. I am very pleased with how the car performs, even with the ABS light on.

As for the modulator board, I suspect a faulty switching device, and I am currently debating whether trying to fix, or just leave alone. If anyone has any advice on this, please let me know.

All in all? Fabulous car, lent it to my son and his sweetheart, the damn kids haven't returned home yet!!
A lot of car for little money! And a fabulously delightful small V6!!!!!
Good morning K Congratulations on buying a Jag. Not sure when we are next flying to South Africa.

I know you have a penchant for brand new OEM

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XK-XJ...257Ciid%253A41

But at that price, a used OEM is worth a look.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 08:11   #22
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

As people have said in reality less then 15% of an X type is Mondeo and It has been said its all the better for it.

The interior quality on the x type is better than a later 75 but I can honestly say the quality is not a patch on the early 75s.

They dont envoke the same emotions that the 75s do and they feel cramped compared to a 75.

The sat nav unit in the x type is a much better unit than that fitted to the 75.

Lovely looking little cars( Looks like a squidged xj)

Good luck with it and get some pictures up.
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 12:00   #23
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Thanks both.
It is not the hydraulic part that is the problem, it is the PC board attached to the unit, and in that most likely a couple of MOSFETs or similar.

The unit could most likely get repaired, but I will only undertake this, if I have a spare unit ready.

So yes, if you can get your hands on a second hand working unit, I will take one. I also should get a scan tool of some sort, Happy if it could be used on the Rover and the Jag as well. They are about Pounds 30 complete with the hydraulic part and a scan tool more or less the same price.

As for pics, it is so troublesome to go through the tortuous road available for non paying members. It is stupid that you can't just post from you computer, and the moderators only would know the reason for that.

It cannot benefit any member in any way.
But I will try in any case.

As for the pics, notice that little beaut of an engine. Aluminium inlet manifold, metal injector racks!! and a clean, spotless interior of an engine, absolutely clean compared to the rover unit..

Old 18th February 2017, 12:55   #24
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
A genuine Mondeo V6 can be picked up with just pocket money, that way it is what it is rather than a re-badged design trying to be something better. Never understood this on these with so much excitement by owners !
Nonetheless I suppose there must be plenty who are more than happy with them, so good luck to the happy ones.
Absolutely correct, nothing more than a re-badged Ford Mondeo,( a car that was and is better than most in its class, and will give the BMW 3 Series brigade , howevera NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- nose on a good day, let down by moronic dealerships etc) which is why it drives so well, the fact that you picked it up for peanuts is great, these cars are now obsolete and worth nothing here in the U.K. and buying one here would be a very risky business indeed due to severe rust, and frightening service and parts costs, in other words a typical Jaguar problem of the era, however enjoy the car, and that is the important thing.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 13:02   #25
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
*sigh* such ignorance.
An X type is just a Mondeo... and all K series problems are HGF.

Moving on...
That is exactly what it is, being kind.... I don't even think is as good. There you have it..
Old 18th February 2017, 13:15   #26
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg69 View Post
nothing wrong with the x-type apart from the mondeo floorpan...
i have one at mo 3lt awd auto,a lot of car for the money.
not a zt though!!!!
Sorry to say that just about everything is wrong with it with the exception of the Ford Mondeo floorpan, giving the thing a bit of wood and some leather, and calling it a baby Jag, and charging obscene amounts for it just doesn't cut it any more, automotive technology has moved on so much that as I said earlier, the X-type is an obsolete, badly conceived and badly made expensive dinosaur, just be careful it doesn't become a money pit, it may be 'faster' than the equivalent R75, but don't compare the two, the R75 was a brilliantly designed and built car, by people who set out to do just that, it was subsequently 'ruined' by ....well....enough said.
Old 18th February 2017, 13:45   #27
kaiser
This is my second home

I see nothing wrong with a Ford, generally. I have a Ford engine in my V8, and that is miles better than any Rover engine with the exception of the 3500. I have a Ford engine in the X-type, with a sprinkling of extras like variable cam timing and metal in stead of plastic.
What is there not to like?

Comparing the two, I cannot say that the one is miles better than the other, but I can and do say, I prefer the Jaguar and Ford engines over any of the Rover k-units. But that is just me.
As for handling and the rest, there is nothing wrong with the Jaguar, believe me.
I am pleasantly surprised, and I enjoy it. So that is all that counts!
The rust issues you have in the UK are of no concern here, so I will not worry about it, except treating for it.
If it is (or not) a FORD, I don't care two hoots. I buy my cars for enjoyment.
Old 18th February 2017, 14:57   #28
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My local Jag dealers have a display area that has a car more or less up in the air. Being a bit nosey, I got underneath it to find most of the underbody is in primer, with no protection against the salt, moisture and crud that we have here. Built in obolescence or penny pinching?
Gorgeous car on top and inside but the underneath left me wondering how long these "limousines" would last?
My 1965 S Type had a bit of rust on the sills and wings but it was over twenty years old by then!
Mike
Old 18th February 2017, 16:04   #29
kaiser
This is my second home

Well that is it then.
Thick black enamel and a brush, and Dinitrol/Tectyl. These naughty worm eaters are not getting at my car.

Rebuilding a P5 Couple at the moment, it needs the whole 50 yards as well. It is terribly rusty! Most other people would have thrown it out. You can see the sills have had black primer at one stage, but no treatment at all! after that. Being 54 years old has taken its toll.

here we go with that stupid picture system again!
[

Old 18th February 2017, 19:51   #30
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Sorry to say that just about everything is wrong with it with the exception of the Ford Mondeo floorpan, giving the thing a bit of wood and some leather, and calling it a baby Jag, and charging obscene amounts for it just doesn't cut it any more, automotive technology has moved on so much that as I said earlier, the X-type is an obsolete, badly conceived and badly made expensive dinosaur, just be careful it doesn't become a money pit, it may be 'faster' than the equivalent R75, but don't compare the two, the R75 was a brilliantly designed and built car, by people who set out to do just that, it was subsequently 'ruined' by ....well....enough said.
Some 355,227 X-Types were made and around a total of 211,175 rover 75's and 27,149 MG ZT's/ZTT's were built. Jaguar are still business, sadly MGR are not.

Geoff Lawson supervised the car's design, died at a quite early age. Also very sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Lawson_(designer)
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote