Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2017, 16:16   #11
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

The problem with the clutch was it smelled from day one and didn't improve - it didn't slip just moving the car, and never has until subjected to the bmw on a trailer. So I can't see how anything was done wrong - just a bad mix of material.
Of course the only thing that I could have done was to remove the smelly clutch immediately, and send it back - yeah, sure, another half a day for Luk to say "theres nothing wrong with it". You dont really have any choice but to carry on, do you?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 16:18   #12
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I respect you choices.
But I am a pragmatic person. There are numerous failures with DMFs, they are VERY expensive to repair and a lot of them are LUK. Go and look, you will see.
I have had my fair share of carp with this for a Jaguar 3 litre. And LUK will always say "driver error"

I have driven cars with normal clutches for yonks and NEVER had this type of problems. There is nothing wrong with a normal clutch and a solid flywheel. That is backed by decades of experience.

As for automatics, they are getting better and better, and todays traffic is getting worse and worse. I have had both, I prefer automatic. But that is an individual choice.
Old 19th February 2017, 17:16   #13
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Not surprised if your trying to drag over 2ton with it. Even with a good clutch it's still a lot of strain.
Without going into the legalities of towing it winds me up when people flout the rules.
The answer to your clutch problem is use a tow vehicle more suitable and legal

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 17:37   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Nope, still not convinced, I still wouldn't fit anything else, and that includes the badge engineered Borg and Beck (firstline) and would never entertain any other brand of hydraulics........period.

So you burned out a clutch which has smelled of burned friction material since fitting? well it's time to assess why that was the case, and if you fitted it yourself ask where you went wrong

All this is a bit late in the day for this clutch of course, that time has long passed, so perhaps the next one will be better

Brian
Ditto myself Brian. Never had any issues with Luk. Our CDT had a clutch replacement with Luk parts (including CSC) before we purchased it in September 2012. I had the master replaced by Terry just after purchase as part of a preventative maintenance exercise. Four years and 51k miles on, the clutch is still working exactly as it should. This is despite 70% of our mileage being on the school run down narrow country lanes requiring above average clutch use.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 17:52   #15
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I know friction material stinks when stressed. Ever since I bought the car, my CDT has ponged whenever I've stressed the clutch, like trying to cross a main road in second gear. It's working fine, I suspect it may be a LuK, will check on back posts later. As for brands, personal choice obviously, I won't buy Luk on replacement.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 17:52   #16
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
So the OP has bought a car for a pound, well I'd consider that a slipping clutch is a luxury on such an extravagant purchase. Brian
The site of Sunderland AFC's current stadium was also acquired for the extravagant sum of £1 ... now not a lot of people know that.

I have a new Britpart slave which I keep in reserve.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 18:27   #17
The Gas Man
Avid contributor

ZT CDTI & ZT V8

Present company accepted, but a lot of people drive cars very poorly, my ex boss was absolutely terrible at using the clutch and changing gear, for every gear change you thought the engine mounts were going to expire 'let alone the clutch or DMF'! Another friend would rev the nuts of of his Skoda Fabia's stone cold Diesel engine at every start, no thought of mechanical sympathy in either case!
The Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 20:00   #18
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Talking of which when I was "On the tools" we had a company director who could burn a clutch out at will,The worst he did was in a Ford Zephyr 6 column change which he burnt the clutch out in 100 miles.he could not master the column change gear lever and only ever used 3rd and 4th gear.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 19:13   #19
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Well I've been directly accused of breaking the law by towing OVER 2 tons (where did that come from rrobson?, as well as this a veiled accusation that I bodged fitting a complete new clutch kit (in place of a complete working kit except for the disintegrated original slave) by Marinabrian.
Without checking, I may have been close to the weight limit, but I doubt I was over it, let alone 2 tons, the clutch replacement was a straight bolt on, no magic, elves, warlocks involved.
Do you want to enlighten me as to what I need to check for Marinabrian?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 19:59   #20
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
the poo clutch was on the mgzt tow car
Quote:
subjected to the BMW on the trailer
Quote:
a tonne and a half of German metal behind it
So BMW plus trailer equals at least 2t, unless of course the BMW only weighs a ton or your trailer weighs 100kg

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote