Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th March 2012, 09:09   #1
brianw
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Rover 75 1.8 Auto Connie

Default Faulty door lock

Since getting my 75 my front passenger door has only unlocked by using the interior door handle.
This morning I removed the door card to investigate.
When I lock and unlock the car using the fob I can hear and feel a distinct 'thunk' from the lock mechanism - this is I presume the deadlock operating as it should.
If I attemt to lock and unlock the doors from inside using the central console button (standard lock) whilst all the other doors give the 'thunk' and operate correctly the front passenger door does not lock or unlock. While operating the central console button with a finger on the passenger lock I can however feel something going on - not a 'thunk' but more like the movement you would feel with your finger on a small relay when it was activated.

Does this indicate that there is 'still life in the lock' and that it is just gummed up somehow?
If so Is it quite straightforward to remove the lock itself and could I say try operating it where I can see whats going on or would I be better saving myself the trouble and replacing the doorcard until I have a replacement lock?

I would appreciate it if anyone who has ' been there done that' could advise.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 09:45   #2
carguy143
This is my second home

MG ZT 190+

Replace the lock is my initial thought. My ZT has a door that will only lock, and not unlock using the central locking. I've tried spraying the whole locking motor with WD40 to hopefully clean it up and it didn't change anything at all.

Rik.
carguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:08   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

The door locking mechanism solenoid contains two motors,one for lock/unlock the other is for the dead locking facility.

The motors operate on both sides to provide lock/unlock obviously one side has now failed.The units are of the sealed type,a second hand mechanism is the easiest option.

The units are packed with grease for optimum lubrication,I would refrain from trying to lubricate a working unit with products such as WD-40 as this will breakdown the grease in the unit.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 12:10   #4
brianw
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Rover 75 1.8 Auto Connie

Thanks for the heads up.
Door card is going back on until I have a new lock ready to fit.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote