Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th July 2010, 14:34   #1
Gerry oFlynn
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 Conn.SE Auto Hi-Line Saloon

Default Cam Sensor Fly leads

Have sourced a new cam shaft sensor for my 2.5 but difficulty in getting a fly lead - Rimmers is back order to September! Any one know of one near to me in Chatham.
Gerry oFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 18:32   #2
Austingarages
Regular poster

X13 #18

Ask at Rimmers again....

Part number YSB002390L is for the same link lead for a Land Rover Freelander KV6, part number shows in stock £58.15
Austingarages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:56   #3
Gerry oFlynn
Regular poster

Thanks Austin Garages but if this is just the fly lead costing £58.15 + Vat it is 10 times more expensive than the 75s which they quote as 5.84 + VAT = £6.86, The Land Rover one would be £68.30. Surely not right but it does say on their site to be used in conjunction with and part no quoted is a sensor. Is it a misprint or do Land Rover's charge a lot more for the same parts?

Last edited by Reebs; 5th July 2010 at 07:13.. Reason: fixed smiley problem & deleted your duplicate post which followed.
Old 4th July 2010, 21:54   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Take your pick from this list
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 07:18   #5
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry oFlynn View Post
Have sourced a new cam shaft sensor for my 2.5 but difficulty in getting a fly lead - Rimmers is back order to September! Any one know of one near to me in Chatham.
Gerry, I've moved this thread in to the 'Items Wanted' section, for greater coverage.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:03   #6
Rimmer Bros
Premium Trader

MG ZT-T

Hello folks

Noticed this one and the part number required for the V6 is YSB002450 which we have on order with XPart with an estimated delivery date of September 1st although subject to change.

YSB002390 (Rover part at £6.64 ex VAT) and YSB002390L (Land Rover part at £49.49 ex VAT) are listed for the 1800 engines. No logical reason for the large price difference that we can think of!
Rimmer Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:12   #7
Austingarages
Regular poster

X13 #18

Just spoken to my part supplier, they have plenty of the original YSB002390 Link harness in stock at £6.69. Its a very recent delivery from Xpart, so Rimmers should have them too by now.
Austingarages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 21:26   #8
Gerry oFlynn
Regular poster

Thanks everybody I did get an OE one from SMC Sittingborne and yes it was their last one and at £6.99. Wondered where my post Thought I must have upset someone but yet again cheers. My sensor was on ebay and an OE part, they had 2 leads 2 weeks ago that went immediately, spoke to them re leads (they are a motor part business) and they had no idea when they will be getting any more. By the the fly lead was made in Egypt!!
Old 12th July 2010, 15:59   #9
AtomicChilli

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Default Using alternative YSB002390 lead for 2.5 V6 Auto

Glad I found this post. Its probably solved my problem of being able to get the new style cam shaft sensor NSC00310 but not the required new YFB002450 separate lead until much later in the year.

Spoke about using alternative YSB002390 lead with Paul at Rimmers. Paul researched for me and came back confirming plug will fit, but worried about cable length of 10 inches (excluding plugs). Apparently, this part number was originally for 1.8 models.

I removed the original sensor on my 2.5 V6 Auto and found total lead out length from sensor body including its plug was about 9 inches, so all looked fine to use alternative lead YSB002390 with new sensor part NSC00310.

Am awaiting delivery in a couple days and will add another post to say how fitting went. If ok, then it's just road testing over a period of time to see if the new sensor cures the no-start when engine hot problem. (hated having to wait ages for the engine to cool down a bit then hitting the floor with the accelerator just to get started)

BTW Rimmers price for cable YSB002390 was around 7 quid.

14-07-2010 Using alternative YSB002390 lead for 2.5 V6 Auto - Update:

Received cam shaft sensor NSC00310 and alternative YSB002390 (supposedly for 1.8) lead from Rimmers. Total bill £81.20 inc vat and special delivery!

Just to reiterate my vehicle is a 2.5 V6 Auto.

Successfully fitted alternative lead after a little adaption. Large plug on YSB002390 lead that mates with wiring harness socket is unfortunately not quite right out of the box. The plug design looks almost identical, but it has two locating ridges on the outside face. However, the harness socket has just the one mating slot. I just used a sharp scalpel to whittle down the two plastic ridges on the plug. After that the plug fits fine.

One other thing. The cam shaft sensor NSC00310 came with a rather fat purple O ring that makes the sensor body sit slightly proud of the head, leaving a small gap between the head and the sensor body where the fixing bolt goes through. The seal with this O ring seems to be ok, but being cautious I very carefully tightened the fixing bolt as worried the small gap may distort or worse break the sensor fixing. (may revisit this)

The original, old sensor was a very snug fit with its fixing hole flush with the head. However, there was no sign of any O ring or washer - slightly disturbing. No trace of oil leak though, so assume was always ok.

On first start the engine did not roar into life as expected (heart sinking moment), but second and all subsequent starting (so far) has been flawless even after a reasonable test run to make sure the engine was well up to temperature. Maybe that had something to do with the electronics having to recognise a new component. Don't know on that one as I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough on the dark side of modern car engine management systems.

Like Gerry, I also noticed the engine seemed to be running smoother - and pickup at low revs seemed quicker (when warm idles at about 700 revs). Very odd though. I thought the CS sensor effectively became redundant once the engine was running. Maybe it's the dark art of EMS again!

Anyway, like Gerry it is nice to not have to call out the AA.........hopefully.

Last edited by AtomicChilli; 14th July 2010 at 22:07.. Reason: Update
AtomicChilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 07:46   #10
Gerry oFlynn
Regular poster

Default Cam shaft sensor

Have fitted new sensor and fly lead and after various test situations all seem well and also running smoother so hopefully it has cures the embarrassing calls to the AA!!!. The only thing is why is the fly lead routed the way is just makes it a longer job than looks necessary. Also Atomic Chilli's was it for the 1.8 or a V6 they are different. Once again thanks for the help.