Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2023, 09:01   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersetJeff View Post
I recently used the DMGRS kit on my Freelander 1 TD4 (essentially the same engine as the 2.0 CDTi) and it works a treat. Engine up to temperature, runs better and the wife is happy that the heater works better
Hi Jeff.
The FL1 has a different sized hose but as you say the inline stat can be used, on both the manual FL1 or the Auto, the stat just needs to be in a different place in the hose on the Auto.

You can see the stat does not push in as far on the FL hose has it does on the R40.

The FL1 should also have an FBH fitted.

How often do you empty or check the sediment pot four times a year should be ok.

Is your FL still four wheel drive.

Most important on the FL1 is the PCV filter

I keep thinking about getting me another FL1 instead of the tourer which is low to get into these days.

Nice cars and are always a best alternative, to the R40

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 09:15   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas66 View Post
i'd say that if Your gauge reads 9 o' clock Your thermostat works as it should. Miles and speed (and external temps) are factors that can impact reaching the right temperature.
Quote:
I would only suggest, as other suggested before, to check the real coolant temp in diagnostic mode. Should be above 82-84°C while driving.
Higher fuel consumption? I drove a car from Belgium back to Italy with a totally shot thermostat. I've (obviuosly) replaced the thermostat and the car runs beautifully since but no (average) fuel consumption difference observed. Hope this helps
Hi Canio
The temp dial gauge will be at the 9.0oclock position even if the engine temp is 75c or 100c so it's a poor indicator at the best.

Has above use the TPK for the true engine temp, you can set this when you go for a drive and leave it on and you will see the temp rise, after about a 7-10 miles drive you are looking for at least 85c to 89c, if the reading is around the 75c to 81c then the original stat is opening to soon which is how they fail, they never fail closed.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th March 2023, 12:38   #13
SomersetJeff
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Jeff.
The FL1 has a different sized hose but as you say the inline stat can be used, on both the manual FL1 or the Auto, the stat just needs to be in a different place in the hose on the Auto.

Nice cars and are always a best alternative, to the R40
Hi Arctic - yes, nice little - good offroad and for towing a small trailer. The one we have has been treated well - new VCU, PCV mod to the BMW part, along with no end of bits like new callipers and a recent back box. Decent ones are getting harder to find. I went with the thermostat mod given how hard it is to access the original thermostat on it.
SomersetJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 16:06   #14
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

So many thanks to Arctic for the Tip on checking the engine tempurature using the Tripmeter settings. On a run of 20 miles today, my car reached a high of 83C on the display and settled at 79C. This suggests that the Stat is still working within tolerance. What a wonderful and helpful Community this is!
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 23:10   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
So many thanks to Arctic for the Tip on checking the engine tempurature using the Tripmeter settings. On a run of 20 miles today,
Quote:
my car reached a high of 83C on the display and settled at 79C. This suggests that the Stat is still working within tolerance. What a wonderful and helpful Community this is!
Hi Edward.
It's suggesting that the thermostat is opening to early, and is not getting the engine up to temp, you should have a reading of 85c minimum to 89c ideally, if it was my car i would be doing a few more run checks, in milder weather and if the reading are the same as you have above settling at 79c

Then i would fit an inline stat, without any doubt.

ad altiora tendo.