Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2017, 10:18   #41
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Bought my car with part worn tyres reckon there were 3 different brands on it including one called Achilles of all names. They weren't worn that much but I am afraid they had to go quickly, my life and other road users lives are worth more than the hotch potch of rubber I inherited. Went for a decent brand. Our cars are worth the best care, attention and maintenance we give them and that starts where they connect with the road. With a 13 year old car on 90,000 miles my view is that these cars are not for the faint hearted. They will cost money to keep them going and deserve decent parts and repairs if we are to get the most out of them and keep them going and keep us all safe. Only my thoughts of course. Others may differ
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 17:02   #42
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

My 2p as someone who has used part worn tyres in the past. I used them as a way of keeping to a "big brand" tyre without spending a fortune. On my connie now I have 2 Dunlops which were fitted new costing over £100 each (one has had a puncture repair late last year) now down to 3mm tread, and 2 rear part worns bought for £35 each had 5mm tread, 1 michelin, 1 continental. No issues with them, I got to see the tyres before fitting, had a good look over them no puncture repairs or cuts in the sidewall etc.. Excellent service from the place I use in Scunthorpe too. I've not checked them for a part worn stamp - I expect if it was missing, these would have been branded as unsafe even though they are the same tyre with or without the stamp.

Now, moneywise, I've just had 2 Nexen 8000's fitted on my 18's by the same garage for £67 each. Useable life 8mm to 2mm = 6mm. As a budget/mid range tyre with great reviews on here I wanted to try them. A part worn as above would have 5mm tread at best (all they stock are between 4 and 5) so 3mm useable life for £35. It means you're not saving any money by using part worns if you can afford the initial outlay and are happy with the Nexen tyre. If I like them I'll probably never buy part worn again at the price they are.

Just my thoughts....

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 19:07   #43
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Well .... I'm really worried now about my "part worn tyres" ......

They were new when I bought them but they are now part worn ...
Now let's be sensible about what is a safety subject. Your 'second hand tyres' that are fitted to your car have been looked after? By yourself, and not been banged up gutters, inspected regularly for and screws, nails, sidewall damage and the like, so although 'second hand' you know how they have been used. That is slightly different to buying a lump of rubber that is a tyre, and not 'know' what it has been subjected to.
Old 31st January 2017, 19:49   #44
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Most people buy secondhand tyres, they do that when they buy a s/h car. Others like me, buy s/h tyres to fit onto their car. I run my 75 on michelin alpin tyres all year round. You can get them cheap s/h out of season, I've had no trouble so far.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 22:16   #45
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Now let's be sensible about what is a safety subject. Your 'second hand tyres' that are fitted to your car have been looked after? By yourself, and not been banged up gutters, inspected regularly for and screws, nails, sidewall damage and the like, so although 'second hand' you know how they have been used. That is slightly different to buying a lump of rubber that is a tyre, and not 'know' what it has been subjected to.

The trouble is that all that carefully use, and careful checking, requires a certain type of motorist, but how does that equate with the average motorist who perhaps buys new tyres, but lives perhaps a mile or so of the public road, and daily traverses a rutted track, and, perhaps has a long day driving maybe 50 miles to start work 8.00am and of course another 50 to get home in the evening. Perhaps at the same time enjoys a bit of spirited driving? It's not easy to check tyres when they are covered in mud, and absolutely impossible in the dark.
I'm not suggesting that such a driver should buy pre used tyres, but short of taking them off the rims daily for inspection, they are just as likely to be damaged as the pre used set, and after having a few sidewall cuts on expensive new tyres, you too might at least consider the cheaper alternatives.
Have you too noticed, that when we are talking safety issues, we are all very careful drivers, and check our oil, water, tyres, lights and vehicle security every day, but when the discussion is about vehicle performance or MPG, then we are suddenly become spirited drivers, pushing those carefully maintained tyres to their limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 05:11   #46
Davpil
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, MGZT

Default Second hand tyres

Well, I hope not to see a nice old 75 'pushing its tyres to the limits' (the very thought ! The indignity !) and leave that sort of thing to you ZT chaps these days, but any driving, whether just to the local shop or storming over the Stelvio, needs to be on safe, reliable, predictable tyres. I don't put a used oil filter in when servicing and I don't use second hand oil, so I never buy used tyres - you don't know where they've been or how they've been used. The point is that I simply prefer to be responsible for my own safety and in doing so contribute to the safety of others on the road. I'm not knocking those who advocate saving money, it's just that I personally prefer to put a premium on tyre safety and buy new recognised and tested brands - I'm on a new set of Michelin Cross Climates and, boy, do they add to your confidence in winter conditions. Now, I recall an era when I drove on skinny cross plys, great fun
but lethal, and when recutting worn tyres was common, but traffic density and speeds were much much lower, brakes were rod or cable, 60 mph was lunacy (or impossible in my side valve Ford Pop) and the mortality rates on the road were much higher than they are now in spite of much lower traffic densities. And so one of the major contributions to road safety since the 1960's has been the tremendous advances in safety technology in which tyre development has played a significant part. When my tyres are down to 3 MM then I get a new set. It's simply what I prefer to do. But there's room for all shades of opinion on Forum, and no one necessarily has a monopoly of wisdom ! So, keep wearing those tyres out, you ZT chaps whilst we 75ers gather pace more gently !
Davpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 06:51   #47
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davpil View Post
Well, I hope not to see a nice old 75 'pushing its tyres to the limits' (the very thought ! The indignity !) and leave that sort of thing to you ZT chaps these days, but any driving, whether just to the local shop or storming over the Stelvio, needs to be on safe, reliable, predictable tyres. I don't put a used oil filter in when servicing and I don't use second hand oil, so I never buy used tyres - you don't know where they've been or how they've been used. The point is that I simply prefer to be responsible for my own safety and in doing so contribute to the safety of others on the road. I'm not knocking those who advocate saving money, it's just that I personally prefer to put a premium on tyre safety and buy new recognised and tested brands - I'm on a new set of Michelin Cross Climates and, boy, do they add to your confidence in winter conditions. Now, I recall an era when I drove on skinny cross plys, great fun
but lethal, and when recutting worn tyres was common, but traffic density and speeds were much much lower, brakes were rod or cable, 60 mph was lunacy (or impossible in my side valve Ford Pop) and the mortality rates on the road were much higher than they are now in spite of much lower traffic densities. And so one of the major contributions to road safety since the 1960's has been the tremendous advances in safety technology in which tyre development has played a significant part. When my tyres are down to 3 MM then I get a new set. It's simply what I prefer to do. But there's room for all shades of opinion on Forum, and no one necessarily has a monopoly of wisdom ! So, keep wearing those tyres out, you ZT chaps whilst we 75ers gather pace more gently !
Sounds like an advert for Goodyear Grand Prix S

I totally agree, the only thing keeping you from an appointment with the other side are four palm sized patches of rubber, which is why my tyres are carefully selected.

I'm running a set of Uniroyal RainSport3 on one, Dunlop SP Sport 01 on another, and the wife's car is about to be fitted with a set of four mew matched tyres.

I am old enough to have driven an 1172 sidevalve E493A Prefect running on 5.25 16 crossplies with rod brakes too, and I suspect the invention of seat belts may have had an impact on road fatalities.

On the odd occasion I have used part worn tyres, these have been fitted by myself personally after very very close inspection, and would not have an issue doing so either.

It's horses for courses, I'm not about to condemn someone for using part worn tyres, by the very definition of an enthusiast owner, most on here are either savvy enough to see what is being fitted to their car and make the judgement call as to whether it is fit for purpose

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 07:07   #48
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have bought used tyres for years without problems, I always go to the same dealer though and would be wary in going to another.
Old 9th February 2017, 18:05   #49
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davpil View Post
'Wot he said'.
Never purchased nor considered purchasing used tyres 'off the shelf' - you just don't know where they've been! Always bought established/branded tyres and take a good look at the spec. before buying - critera grip, noise, wear and then, price.
Worked in the trade (not on the tools though) for 4 years and up to 20% of customers were fitting pre-owned tyres (60% of the rest were upper age bracket regulars who would accept what we offered them from our new stock which were either well known 'US/European/Japanese' branded or just a couple of tried/tested second level 'other' makes).
The pre-owned group sometimes came up with some real duff deals - one picked up a 'nice' set of 25% worn top spec. Continentals (directional) for his BMW 5 Series before having us MOT the car - it failed on 3 tyres with outer wall bulges (in many cases hard to detect until inflated). He was lucky, returned them and eventually got a mixed bag of 4 that did the trick for his MOT. Had they been non-directional and unscrupulously fitted with the bulges on the inner wall that was a blowout accident waiting to happen.
True, we all drive cars with worn/used tyres but we also know how we drive and what we sometimes feel/hit and make our own judgement on what to do next.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 19:14   #50
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

No ones said what they would do in my position...

4 Expensive Contisport Contacts runflats, one gets mangled by a sharp metal shard on the road... 5.5mm left on all 4.

Pointless to buy brand new and have one tyre out of sync with the rest. What you gonna do, replace three when they are worn, and have one old one?

Makes no sense. Used tyre is perfect for those who need exact match. I went and got a perfect replacement with 5.5mm of tread on, problem solved. All matching again. Even the years matched.

Cant say better than that. Now I wouldnt waste my money on Sportcontact, they are NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. Midrange are fine for diesel ZT with the massive amount of miles mine gets. Decent tyres for the 260 are a must though.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote