Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2017, 20:11   #11
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

As "Kitts" (Dawn) says what size is the tee piece that you got and the best place to buy, I have bought a few units now and with two V6`s can only think this is going to cost me double.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:28   #12
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I got fed up replacing mine, too expensive. I replaced them with pipe and fittings used in caravan plumbing. I'm away from home at the moment, so no pics or sizes etc, but if you go into the likes of B&Q you can get plastic plumbing and push fit connectors - these are too big. Caravans use a smaller size, I got mine off eBay, but presumably caravan accessory shops would sell the bits. Total cost was around a tenner for a length of pipe and a t-piece, the pipe is rated for hot water, and fits into the red snap connectors ok. At the throttle body end the original connector can be re-used. Mine has done 50-60k on the car, no problems. As for the shorter pipe, I have in stock some clear plastic pipe and connectors, again off eBay but haven't got round to changing it yet.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:41   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
Yes its the t piece. Its disintegrated. Where did you get the stainless one please, it would be easier!
It may not be Dawn. The tubing is a shrink-fit onto the T-piece so extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove without breakage. Also the engine heat makes the tubing very brittle. I'm normally very much in favour of cost effective repairs but in this case I invested in a new assembly even though it is rather expensive for what it is.

Simon
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:14   #14
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Recently replaced mine from here:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID999773

fairly straightforward task.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:33   #15
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It may not be Dawn. The tubing is a shrink-fit onto the T-piece so extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove without breakage. Also the engine heat makes the tubing very brittle. I'm normally very much in favour of cost effective repairs but in this case I invested in a new assembly even though it is rather expensive for what it is.

Simon

There's no T-piece left! Just the open pipe ends flapping around spraying gunk! I am going to replace the whole thing, but as I go in hospital Wednesday can't order anything that won't go in the letter box, as I don't know yet how long I am going to be in. If its textbook 3-4 days, but a friend had the same op, there was complications and she was in two weeks.

I thought if the stainless one worked it would be here waiting when I got home and I could then fit new pipes later, while using my old ones as a second set so as to be able to "swap and clean" every now and again like Arctic suggested. I guess that would depend how brittle they are, but they didn't seem too bad - just no t-piece at all.

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:51   #16
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Rimmers delivery to me was the next day after ordering. Reasonable price. Good advice on the forum about fitting. The pipes and t-piece were 10 years and 90,000 miles in the breaking so I assumed that OEM will be adequate.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:08   #17
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

New pipes are good way to go i guess and it was fiddly, had to heat pipes up to slide over new t piece but yes i did clean the pipes out why there were off.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:42   #18
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I'll get it done while I am off with some new ones then. Sounds like I will have plenty of time on my hands he he.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Steve for helping with my other issue.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 13:49   #19
MDW
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 180+ Sports Auto SE

Mine has gone at the white T-piece too.. I've received my replacement pipes from Vitesse this morning, but I can't work out how to remove the end which goes into the throttle body. The plastic red collars on the cam covers are obvious, but at the throttle body, there is a red metal looking ring, flush with the throttle body itself and the pipe seems stuck fast. Is it just an interference fit? I tried pressing gently on the red metal ring with a screwdriver but went carefully as I didn't want the brittle pipe to shear off and be stuck in there!

(Still can't work out how to add pics to posts, so here's a dropbox link to the throttle body / breather connection..)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9wl53q5n9...39.55.jpg?dl=0

2004 MG ZT-T 180+ Sports Auto SE
1964 MGB Roadster

Former owner of:
2002 Rover 75 Tourer CDT, used by Rover for Commonwealth Games.
1984 Rover SD1 2300S

Gone but not forgotten..
MDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 13:54   #20
MDW
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 180+ Sports Auto SE

Done it!!

Zooming in on the photo I uploaded, I saw there was another black collar the same diameter as the pipe which works in the same way as the red collars

Just needed a gentle press with a screwdriver edge whilst pushing the pipe down..

2004 MG ZT-T 180+ Sports Auto SE
1964 MGB Roadster

Former owner of:
2002 Rover 75 Tourer CDT, used by Rover for Commonwealth Games.
1984 Rover SD1 2300S

Gone but not forgotten..
MDW is offline   Reply With Quote