Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd January 2017, 20:08   #1
wooly12345
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

Thumbs down Sunday Failure...

My new low miler needed the actuator replacing on both the driver front and rear doors...

Actuators showed up later on in the week so decided the driver door needed doing first... used the how to on the rear door which helped me greatly... had a nightmare getting it actually out of the door but finally got it out once I took the window mech bolts out... this took about an hour or so and was looking forward to the refit... I quickly realised that the two actuators I got off Sean were both rear actuators

After all that with scraped hands to bits and having to refit a broken part... you guessed it the rain gods decided to give me another blow.

I then really struggled to get the bar that links to the outdoor handle and I eventually clicked it in but after testing the outdoor handle the whole top piece come out the handle...

Daylight at this point was no longer and the cold was setting in which has stopped play.

So not a particularly productive day on this new rover, I now might also have to fit a new internal handle mech if any plastic bits that hold the top of the bar have broke...

I don't know how mechanics do this stuff on a daily basis... my hands are ruined... the door itself with cut outs that are completely useless... I got that close to getting my dremel out and cutting out the bits I actually need access to!!!!!!

Frustration doesn't cut it... I'm now worse off than what I started
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170122_170353.jpg (123.5 KB, 71 views)
wooly12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:24   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

The design from the devil himself, I managed to dislodge the mentioned item on 2 occasions. Fortunately had some folk around me with better patience levels than mine and were duly fitted to save my bacon. Since then great caution has been used to avoid dislodging this piece.
As an emergency, you can cut off the childlock bar, and modify a part of the mechanism from a rear mech to enable it to fit and work the front door but a bit of a faff really (Make sure the child lock is set to the off position first)
Sorry to hear of your bad luck on this, a trick that I use to gain better access to the front locks interior wise, is to totally remove the drop glass and release the guide rail at the lower part of the door, tie it away from the zone with a bungee strap whilst doing the surgery, and refit. This may sound a bit excessive, but in the long run, will allow better access, and less chance of disaster.

Good luck with the re-fit.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:55   #3
wooly12345
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

Default Could have done with you...

I should have drove up to see you John! You could have done it 10 minutes flat I'm sure!

Do you think I can get that piece in the pic back in the door? I'm guessing taking the internal door handle is just as hard to remove?

Hope the little fella is ok!
wooly12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:59   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its awful if the rod comes adrift from the handle, far easier to fit a new handle assy with an intact rod than to try and repair the loose one!
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:02   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly12345 View Post
I should have drove up to see you John! You could have done it 10 minutes flat I'm sure!

Do you think I can get that piece in the pic back in the door? I'm guessing taking the internal door handle is just as hard to remove?

Hope the little fella is ok!
The external handle has foxed me I must admit, never been successful at this. The general way to fit this piece is by feel as it's well hidden up in the handle area. Will take a look at the info available to me and get back to you.

Brendan is lovely and doing quite well for now, he has moved on to electronics now and messes about with my test rig and LED's !

Back in a bit !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote