Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2012, 16:16   #21
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I didn't know anyone else had developed one, have you a link to it?
Possibly here, although this may be more pertinent to remotes than timers?

(do a search for Author:Raistlin and subject:Electrickery for more possible links, otherwise the man himself is contactable on the Other Forum)
Old 31st March 2012, 16:24   #22
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Yes that's the one but sorry it is on a remote not a timer as such, also have a blue led connected and situated in the centre trim which houses the interior light so when switching on from in the house you can be sure it's fired up when the light flashes. It switches on the fbh and after 5 minutes the ATC which warms up the interior , then cuts out after 30 minutes or a further press of the remote. He has also developed it further so in summer will switch on the air con but I don't have that one fitted as yet !

The unit has to be bought and the remote

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 31st March 2012 at 16:27..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 19:34   #23
brianw
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Rover 75 1.8 Auto Connie

Smile Just fitted timer in center console

Just an update to say that I have finally got around to moving the timer unit from the battery box where I originally had it to the centre console cubby box using the revised wiring described in this thread.
I fitted a diode liberated from unused part of the timer circuit board to fit in series to the 5K6 resistor as Harry suggested in a later post.
All seems to be functioning as it should at the moment and it is of course a far more convenient location.
I think I may fit a small led into the cubby box to make it easier to see when programming the timer (display is not backlit).

After feeding 32' of lan cable from the cubby box (just making sure I was not short) I found that in the end I only used 13' of cable.
Feeding the cable through was not at all problematic.
I removed the screw from the drivers side of the cubby box (position drivers seat for best access) and found it easy to feed the cable down inside the console and withdraw it from the bottom of console adjacent to drivers seat.
It was then easy to prise at the bottom of console and slide the cable up into the side of the console exiting at the top where the console meet the dash on the drivers side. I removed the cover below the steering wheel and found there was a convenient section of loom to attach the cable to.
I also attached to the bonnet cable which keeps it clear of the moving parts of the accelerator pedal and exited from the grommet adjacent to bonnet cable exit point. The cable passes through the plenum chamber passing under the wiper motor and exits through another grommet into the engine compartment. There are some handy clips already on the bulkhead so these were used to get across to the FBH side of the compartment.

At under a tenner for the timer and components I reckon its a good value mod.
As we currently don't seem to be having a summer at least I can now look forward to winter
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 20:29   #24
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
He has also developed it further so in summer will switch on the air con but I don't have that one fitted as yet !

The unit has to be bought and the remote
I've just spotted this....

You cannot switch the a/c on remotely, because the a/c will not work without its engine driven compressor. All you can do is switch the ventilation fan on, to cool the interior down.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 20:36   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
At under a tenner for the timer and components I reckon its a good value mod.
As we currently don't seem to be having a summer at least I can now look forward to winter
Thanks for that feedback Brian at least now we know that my circuitry does work installed on the car and in practise

I long ago sent John one at a greatly discounted price, on the understanding that he would be the guinea pig installing it on his car and provide me with feedback if there were any issues. That was long ago and I have not heard from John since, yet he seemed so keen.

So as a result - the project and time I commited to it just stalled.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 7th May 2012, 22:47   #26
brianw
Gets stuck in

Perhaps if John sees this thread he may get back with his experience.

I ran through a couple of cycles today and all seemed well - both auto and manual.
It is better that the LED illuminates now showing when it is active.
I have left it on timer for the mornings so I can just check it out over the next couple of weeks.
I dont really envisage any problems as my original try at it has worked ok for a few months now.
I will post on this thread if there is any problem so no news is good news as they say.

Just thought, it might be interesting to do a comparative check on fuel consumption both summer/winter & using/not using the FBH unless there are already figures available for that.
It would be double bubble if there was an overall fuel saving as well as the benefits of getting into a warmed up car, no make that triple it is much quieter and smoother just after starting when FBH is run so it seems it could be win win win.
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:07   #27
brianw
Gets stuck in

Default Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Update:
After almost 5 years of working faultlessly in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my car has not been warmed up for me when I leave for work in the morning!
Worse still it coincides with the colder weather.
While investigating I skillfully managed to crack the display on the timer unit fitted under the central armrest. :duh
At least I have a spare timer which I bought just before Christmas so they are still available.

To add to my woes I discovered this morning that the fbh did not come on at all when I started the car. I tried a reset by pulling fuse 8 in the engine bay fuse box but still no joy.
Even when I connected pin 3 of the six pin directly to earth I had no result.
I will have to investigate further to find the problem but I am thinking in terms of replacing the timer etc as the battery in the circuit may be gone as before I broke the display it appeared to be blank anyway.
What I can say is boy do I miss it.
Will have to get my head back around just what I did in the first instance as five years is a long time.
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:37   #28
brianw
Gets stuck in

I have just been out and checked.
Removed 6 pin then 2 pin plugs at fbh
Voltage at fbh 2 pin plug - all good
Voltage at pin 1 fbh 6 pin plug - ignition off no voltage, ignition on 12.58v
I put back in 2 pin then 6 pin plugs at fbh with ignition off and it fired straight up.
It is running now.
Just a bit curious if it will go off!!!!
Started engine and then turned it off again but it is stustill running!!
Just disconnected the earth that goes to the timer and it is going through shutdown cycle, so the timer must be giving it a permanent earth at the moment.
At least i seem to be getting there.!
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:20   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
I have just been out and checked.
Removed 6 pin then 2 pin plugs at fbh
Voltage at fbh 2 pin plug - all good
Voltage at pin 1 fbh 6 pin plug - ignition off no voltage, ignition on 12.58v
I put back in 2 pin then 6 pin plugs at fbh with ignition off and it fired straight up.
Removing the power and reconnecting it, to find it then works, suggests the FBH had gone into lockout. The FBH will make three attempts to fire or light up, if it fails on the third attempt it goes into a lockout state - it will not attempt to fire again, until reset by removing the power. That can either be by unplugging it or pulling fuse 8.

Going into lockout is usually an indication of a fault. Either it has run out of fuel, or there is an issue with the burner. Maybe the burner and chamber needs a service and clean out?

Old 22nd January 2017, 12:25   #30
brianw
Gets stuck in

All seems to be working again.
I will know for sure in the morning.
It seems I had not broken the display, although it had a dark patch on it after I had manouvered it out through the cubbyhole it has come back on.
I have tried it on the manual on off button and all seems well.
I have set the timer so hopefully I will be a happy bunny again in the morning.
I am guessing there is a dodgy connection in the wiring in the cubbyhole so may check that soon but for now I do not have my 12v soldering iron at home.