Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2017, 21:10   #6721
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Said farewell to my first Rover 75, she served me well for four years, I really hope she continues to be faithful for her new owner

Amazing how you can get attached to a simple thing like a car
Didn't drive to Keith's house due to unforeseen circumstances at Turbo Dave's place, so ended up ferrying one unhappy chap back home instead.

All this in a car where the wireless had to be cranked up to drown out the rumbling of the rear wheel bearing

I'm sure Ross will be happy with his new motor......any chance I can pick up those bits and bobs tomorrow Keith

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 21:11   #6722
rathlindri
Loves to post

2004 MG ZT CDTi 135+ saloon

Checked my plenums, dry as a bone
rathlindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 23:00   #6723
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Said farewell to my first Rover 75, she served me well for four years, I really hope she continues to be faithful for her new owner

Amazing how you can get attached to a simple thing like a car
Well, I bought said R75 today. Great to meet you Keith. She will be well looked after.

Also just noticed that I'm a few days over my 10th Anniversary of being a club member. How time flies!
Old 20th April 2017, 14:30   #6724
versus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 Auto, 2000 year

Today...

https://vimeo.com/213999162

Video with my Navall2 HU

Winter in April???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhrthdet.jpg (146.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8648947.jpg (134.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 879679746.jpg (98.9 KB, 17 views)
versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 17:51   #6725
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

So long as it stops with you, that's ok. We don't want it thank you.
Old 20th April 2017, 19:22   #6726
marinabrian

MG ZT

As Keith dropped off two rear wheel bearings he kindly removed from his 1800T scrapper, and the weather was nice, I decided to polish my balls

Carefully removed the inner races and one ball from the outer race so the oil seal could be removed, then popped out all of the ball bearings from the nylon cages, and cleaned out the old dried up grease.

The balls were then washed dried and carefully checked, and put to one side in a clean container.

Then the outer races were cleaned of the old dry grease and inspected for damage and wear, no deterioration of the races was to be seen.

Next the inner races and nylon cages were cleaned and then the ball bearings refitted.

Out with the Castrol LM, and with clean hands, the oil seal fitted and the now sparkling bearings were packed with fresh grease.

Finally the inner races were refitted to the hub.

Now off with the rear discs, caliper carriers, and old rear hubs, one of which came off cleanly, the other side, inboard inner race remained attached to the stub axle.

Cue the appearance of the trusty blow lamp, and after heating the inner race, a couple of applications of penetrating oil, and some judicious tapping around the circumference of the inner race with a drift and hammer, it became apparent the penetrating oil was doing it's job.

On with a pair of mole grips, and the inner race waltzed off leaving only a rusty stain on the stub axle, which disappeared with a quick wipe over with some 800 grit wet and dry.

While at this stage, I cleaned up the backplates, cleaned and coppaslipped the brake shoes and handbrake mechanisms, and deglazed the inside of the drum in disc areas with emery cloth.

The "new" hub bearings were fitted, the necessary adjustments were made to the handbrake mechanisms, and the discs refitted.

A cleanup and refitting of the caliper carrier, followed by the pads and calipers.

Finally a careful clean of the inner spigots of the wheels, a smear of coppaslip on the hub spigots, and the wheels refitted.

Clean up of all tools, wash hands and off with the boiler suit and a test drive revealed a silent rumble free car

So why did I go to the bother or reusing second hand hub bearings I hear you ask?

The answer is simple, if a part is fit for further service with a bit of preventative maintenance, it is far superior to some of the gash Chinese parts flooding the market at present.

The car is now whisper quiet once more, just a 75 should be

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 20th April 2017 at 19:26..
Old 20th April 2017, 19:43   #6727
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

MOT passed with no advisories and 122k on the clock.
Not many 15 year old cars can do that.
Old 20th April 2017, 20:52   #6728
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Took the 75 to Brian's today to drop off the bits he needed, whilst there we discussed the vibration on my car and the possibility of a faulty engine mounting..... so Brian thought he would check a few things first, hence out came the magic box of tricks.

Well the EGR has a sticking point and is taking its time at opening, the revs were dropped by 30rpm which had a great effect.

A little jiggery pockery and a few modifications to the ECU coding has given the car a smoother bottom end torque and is so smooth..... On top of this the entry system was changed so all the doors open on one press of the key, and a digital speedometer enabled on the IPK

To test all of this out we then took her for a nice drive around the Scottish borders, before home and a wash and wax

Thanks Brian...........What a difference

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 21:05   #6729
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Took the 75 to Brian's today to drop off the bits he needed, whilst there we discussed the vibration on my car and the possibility of a faulty engine mounting..... so Brian thought he would check a few things first, hence out came the magic box of tricks.

Well the EGR has a sticking point and is taking its time at opening, the revs were dropped by 30rpm which had a great effect.

A little jiggery pockery and a few modifications to the ECU coding has given the car a smoother bottom end torque and is so smooth..... On top of this the entry system was changed so all the doors open on one press of the key, and a digital speedometer enabled on the IPK

To test all of this out we then took her for a nice drive around the Scottish borders, before home and a wash and wax

Thanks Brian...........What a difference
Glad you like the new car Keith, and thanks for those hubs, the car has been transformed

Brian
Old 22nd April 2017, 00:04   #6730
marinabrian

MG ZT

Well I was at a bit of a loose end this evening, so I decided to dig out the YAC004250LNF Ashok entrusted me to sort out at Broughty Ferry in March.

So after a quick EEprom programming session, where I told it it was now a YAC003790LNF, swapping out the white backlighting LED's for amber, and a rummage through my box of bits to locate a Mk1 dial overlay........well let's just hope he's not disappointed with the end result

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashok.jpg (133.5 KB, 146 views)