Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th December 2016, 01:32   #1
Rob T

Rover 75

Default Replacement stereo & routing cables behind dash?

Hi everyone,

I have two semi-related questions...

I've recently bought myself a Rover 75 with the Harmony stereo fitted (with a CD changer in the glove box), what I'd like is some means of connecting my phone via bluetooth.

I'm guessing that this isn't possible with the existing unit so I've been looking around at other units. I'm not looking to spend much (so can't really stretch to one of the Android units I've seen pop up in a lot of the searches I've tried on here already). Ideally I'd like to spend less than £150. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just some way to connect the phone to it so that I can stream music / phone calls. In my last car I just did this with an aux cable.

What would I need in order to install a different unit? Obviously a fascia adaptor, but presumably some means of mounting a standard DIN / double DIN cage? And how easy / hard is this?

My second question is about routing cables...

To get power to my phone & satnav I've seen a unit that piggybacks onto a standard fuse and I was going to use that to power a unit which gives 2 USB sockets (one for phone and one for satnav).

For my satnav I would like to route the USB cable behind the dash if possible so that it comes out somewhere near the middle of the dash near the windscreen. For the phone I'd want it to pop out in the corner by the driver's door.

Again, how easy / hard is this? (is it even possible?)

My last car was a Rover 25 (it got written off after someone drove into the side of me last week), in that car levering bits of trim open enough to drop cables through was pretty easy... the 75 seems to be somewhat more robust!

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Rob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 19:34   #2
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Hi rob
Concerning yr questions I've done some of the mods yr asking about
The way I did my car I removed the original stereo and replaced it with a single disc cd/ radio with USB port on the front (less than a hundred quid @ Halfords)
This gives you the option of iPod and hands free for yr fone
Also you can use a memory stick etc
What I did in my car was remove the stereo and heater control panel and the a pillar trims (all easily removed) I then routed a multi socket adapter which resides in the glovebox- you can power this either from the cigar lighter or via a piggyback fuse to the fuse box
I purchased an extra long mini USB lead which I routed up the passenger side a pillar then tucked it up behind the passenger side sun visor and then exits above the interior mirror(rear view) this in turn connected to my dash cam which is located just under said mirror.
Then routed my mic cable for the stereo (for hands free fone via Bluetooth) under the dash panel beneath the steering wheel and up the drivers side a pillar
My stereo is fitted to a single din fascia panel which has a cubbyhole at the top which is where my iPod lives and is plugged into the USB port on the front of the stereo
You'll find when done this way all the wires are tucked into the car in a tidy manner
I have a spare single din panel should you require one
I also have spare a kenwood iPod interface too
Quite useful if you have a kenwood unit as it plugs into the rear of the head unit in the cd changer socket and therefore yr iPod can live in yr glovebox out of sight
Regards
Chris

Last edited by Stickman; 27th December 2016 at 21:55.. Reason: Bad spellings
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 19:37   #3
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Sorry forgot to add my sat nav cable I routed under the dashboard to the drivers side and located my sat nav in the bottom corner of the drivers side windscreen
It's far simpler than to try and route the lead to the centre of the screen in reality
Regards
Chris
Old 28th December 2016, 01:02   #4
Rob T

Rover 75

Thanks Chris.

So if you take the A-pillar off, can you pop cables up from under the dashboard in that corner? Or do you need to loosen / remove anything else?

I've got a piggyback fuse and a converter that gives 2 USB outlets for power.

My phone is mounted in the bottom corner of the windscreen, but if it's that difficult to bring a cable up in the middle, I might just bring both cables up in that corner and then try and semi-hide it / clip it somehow to bring it on top of the dash to the middle where the satnav is.

The other alternative I'm considering for the satnav is to bring it out from under the cover above the stereo and then keep it tight up to the satnav, so that it's at least not trailing / flopping around.
Rob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 08:30   #5
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

[QUOTE=Rob T;2422504]Thanks Chris.

So if you take the A-pillar off, can you pop cables up from under the dashboard in that corner? Or do you need to loosen / remove anything else?

To get cables from the A pillar to behind the dash I use the tip I got from Nigel (ennine)
remove the or pull forward the IPK and use a wire coat hanger or other stiff wire with a hook on one end and then pull any cables through.
Pulling the IPK forward made that a lot easier for me.
I would also plug any cables into the unit and store the coiled up length in the A pillar for items you intend to fit later Cameras Etc) saves pulling the unit out again.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 10:30   #6
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Hi rob
I'd simply echo what ken said with regards to the wire coat hanger trick
Regards
Chris
Old 29th December 2016, 10:36   #7
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Hi Rob I'm selling my single DIN DAB radio unit that has all (I think) that you require (Aux, USB, CD, mp3)

I also have the single DIN fascia that I fed power cables through for my sat nav.

See this thread for some pictures. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=147704

Let me know if it's suitable for you.
Old 30th December 2016, 01:21   #8
Rob T

Rover 75

[QUOTE=Kennyeth;2422545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
Thanks Chris.

To get cables from the A pillar to behind the dash I use the tip I got from Nigel (ennine)
remove the or pull forward the IPK and use a wire coat hanger or other stiff wire with a hook on one end and then pull any cables through.
I would also plug any cables into the unit and store the coiled up length in the A pillar for items you intend to fit later Cameras Etc) saves pulling the unit out again.
Ken.
Thanks for the tip Ken. Just one question... what is an IPK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Hi Rob I'm selling my single DIN DAB radio unit that has all (I think) that you require (Aux, USB, CD, mp3)

I also have the single DIN fascia that I fed power cables through for my sat nav.

See this thread for some pictures. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=147704

Let me know if it's suitable for you.
Thanks for the offer Sprinter, but I've already bought a bluetooth unit to use with the existing stereo now. If that doesn't work out though I'll keep you in mind.
Old 30th December 2016, 14:29   #9
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

[QUOTE=Rob T;2423383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post

Thanks for the tip Ken. Just one question... what is an IPK?

Thanks for the offer Sprinter, but I've already bought a bluetooth unit to use with the existing stereo now. If that doesn't work out though I'll keep you in mind.
IPK= Instrument pack. the unit that has your speedo and rev counter.
Only three screws to lift it forward, you then have easy access, you will see what I mean if you follow the above.
Good luck.
Ken.
EDIT: just pinched this off a thread from Suzublu (cheers)

Under the "eyebrow" above the radio cubby, you'll see a flat panel with a little slot, insert a small flat blade & lever off. Now you'll see 2 screws, remove these & pull the eyebrow off. Top corners of the console are another 2 screws, remove these then pull out the radio unit

Last edited by Kennyeth; 30th December 2016 at 14:45..
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 17:44   #10
Rob T

Rover 75

Thanks again for the coat hanger tip, that made things a LOT easier! 😊

[QUOTE=Kennyeth;2422545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
Thanks Chris.

Ken.