Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th December 2016, 21:03   #1
mmz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Remote Webasto

My diesel 75 has a working Webasto installed, but I would like it to act as a pre-heater on cold winter mornings. Can it be converted to work with a timer or a remote controller? Is it a DIY job and where can I find some instructions?
mmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 23:12   #2
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

the forum google search is your friend

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:09   #3
mmz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I'm sorry but I have certainly googled this subject. Although there is very much discussion over the subject I have not found any threads containing the right simple how-to-do instructions. I even visited the local Webasto garage but they could not (or did not want to?) help me at all. I am not familiar with Webastos so I will need some straightforward instructions.

What bits do I need to get my original factory fitted timerless setup remote controlled? Is my setup capable to warm up also the cabin without any auxiliar coolant circulation pumps? On EBay there are some kits for VW, Seat, etc. but can I use them also for my needs? It seems unlikely that they could control Rover heater controls?
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:15   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmz View Post
I'm sorry but I have certainly googled this subject. Although there is very much discussion over the subject I have not found any threads containing the right simple how-to-do instructions. I even visited the local Webasto garage but they could not (or did not want to?) help me at all. I am not familiar with Webastos so I will need some straightforward instructions.

What bits do I need to get my original factory fitted timerless setup remote controlled? Is my setup capable to warm up also the cabin without any auxiliar coolant circulation pumps? On EBay there are some kits for VW, Seat, etc. but can I use them also for my needs? It seems unlikely that they could control Rover heater controls?
Put Gsm in to the search and you will find plenty of guides what to do
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:41   #5
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Depending on which particular FBH you have, you'll need to either ground one of the pins in the FBH multiplug or provide +12V to it to make it fire up. First thing to do is identify which you have (sorry, I don't know but I think the later ones need +12V whilst the early ones need 0V), obtain the extra 'pin' to go into the multiplug and then attach it to your preferred triggering device.

Be warned that if you leave your FBH on for a long period (say several hours), then your battery will be flat and you won't be able to start your engine - ask me how I know...
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:56   #6
mmz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

The main issue is that how can I make the coolant circulate in the main heating system and the interior blower on to warm up also the inside of the car?
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:06   #7
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

The FBH already has a 12V water pump which will circulate the hot water around the engine and heater matrix. From memory I belive the FBH has an output on one of the pins* which you can use to power a changeover type double-pole relay which switches power to the ATC panel from switched live to permanent live, thus making it come on without the ignition being on. I haven't done this myself yet because I found a coolant leak which was interfering with my FBH, but it's on my list of things to do - probably some point in summer!

*IIRC, earlier ones would only activate this output once the coolant temp got up to a certain amount, whereas later ones activated it as soon as they started. I know the ATC is smart enough to keep the blower fan down until the coolant warms up, but that may need the engine ECU or the IPK to be 'active' to provide this data.
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:14   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
The main issue is that how can I make the coolant circulate in the main heating system and the interior blower on to warm up also the inside of the car?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=253228

Read through this for a few pointers(especially the link in the first post)
Old 5th January 2017, 17:18   #9
mmz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

There are lots of VAG OEM T91 Telestart T91 kits for sale on EBay for a reasonable price but can I use them in Rover? Are the kits the same except for the company badge? Universal Webasto kits are scarce and much more expensive.
Old 7th January 2017, 11:24   #10
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
There are lots of VAG OEM T91 Telestart T91 kits for sale on EBay for a reasonable price but can I use them in Rover? Are the kits the same except for the company badge? Universal Webasto kits are scarce and much more expensive.
I dont think the VAG ones are the same as ours, got a feeling that those ones integrate with the VAG cars dashboard display and receive commands from it also. I noticed they were a fair bit cheaper than the ones listed for ours. Not aware of anyone successfully using a VAG one being reported here.