Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2017, 11:05   #11
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Every time you buy a used car your getting part worn tyres.
Lol! That's why I normally check the dates they were made and condition when I buy a pre owned car. Cost on new tyres is taken into account when I buy. I take it that seriously as I do about 400 miles a week!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 13:17   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I read the other day that in many countries it's illegal to sell second hand tyres.
It should be the same in this country also.

Bit of déjà vue hear. I have just been reading an Auto Express special edition where there is a good story with statistics about tyres..One third of all UK tyres are illegal?? Seems a bit harsh to me. I am always looking at tyres when I am driving or out walking, and although there are some cars with tyres that are dubious, hardly any tread, low pressures and bulges, most seem ok to me. Some statistics:-illegal tyres by city:- Bristol 46.2% B'ham 42% Manchester 35.4% down to Greater London 13.8%. Another stat:- the number of drivers fined for driving on illegal tyres has gone up by40% since 2013, and also 26% of drivers were fined for driving on tyres that were down to the wires in the tyres. This follows on from a headline grabbing report that some tyre makers, E U again, that want the legal amount of tread to be raised from 1.6 mm to possibly 3/4 mm. Michelin who gave their opinion, said that there was no need for anything so drastic.Michelin also say that a quality tyre down to 1.6 mm, is often better than a new? Budget tyre.Yes I know they ' would say that wouldn't they'. I for one believe them in some cases. I also think that secondhand tyres should be banned from sale. If I had got an hour, I could prove to you why.

Last edited by Dragrad; 24th January 2017 at 22:46.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 13:49   #13
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Every time you buy a used car your getting part worn tyres.

Which by definition will also have part worn brake components.....
In fact, come to think of it;
Even if you buy a NEW car, these components will be part worn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 14:27   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

If I drive my car with 'properly maintained parts' that are not 'second hand', by definition:- not removed from another vehicle and fitted to the one you are driving, then, by definition, it is as safe as can be possible. To make comments about 'second hand brake linings/pads/wheel bearings/windscreens and the like is rather puerile/ childish, don't you think, when what is required is a constructive dialogue on such a safety issue. Sorry if it upsets anyone, but I have seen the results of a frivolous attitude to
Safety when owning and driving a car. And again, if people have to buy second hand parts concerning safety, to keep their car on the road, then you can not afford to run the vehicle, and keep off the road. P.S. I know this will upset some people, but not the responsible person. Here it comes. Sela vie.
Old 21st January 2017, 17:12   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I get around the problem of tyres by having an "MOT set" of wheels.

When the original tyres on the car have worn through to the point where air is showing through, I simply stuff the casings with straw and carry on

I fit my own tyres, and that way I can be assured they've never been abused by careless tyre fitters, last ones were the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 fitted to my 11 spokes on Frosty

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 17:14   #16
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
If I drive my car with 'properly maintained parts' that are not 'second hand', by definition:- not removed from another vehicle and fitted to the one you are driving, then, by definition, it is as safe as can be possible. To make comments about 'second hand brake linings/pads/wheel bearings/windscreens and the like is rather puerile/ childish, don't you think, when what is required is a constructive dialogue on such a safety issue. Sorry if it upsets anyone, but I have seen the results of a frivolous attitude to

Safety when owning and driving a car. And again, if people have to buy second hand parts concerning safety, to keep their car on the road, then you can not afford to run the vehicle, and keep off the road. P.S. I know this will upset some people, but not the responsible person. Here it comes. Sela vie.

So what you are saying, is that when parts become unobtainable, you should scrap the car? That would certainly clear the roads of vintage cars.

Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 17:33   #17
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
So what you are saying, is that when parts become unobtainable, you should scrap the car? That would certainly clear the roads of vintage cars.

I'm not sure that is what is being said. This is a bus I drive for fun. I'm a member of its preservation society. I asked what they do for spares and the answer was "We get them made". There's a big industry supplying spare parts to OEM specification for vintage vehicles of all kinds.

I was surprised at the size of it to be honest!

This is the future for our cars. As an aside, I'm excited by the development of 3D printing. Many possibilities with this emerging technology.

Here's the bus by the way. Any excuses!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A65A62D2-2379-4B4E-B1CC-9C14CDB1610E_zpso3vsnu4q.jpg (101.8 KB, 20 views)

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 18:39   #18
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Nothing wrong with used tyres. Only issue is with knackered/dangerous tyres.

Big used market in Germany, where people sell off their summers or winters at close to changeover time, if they have nowhere to store the others. Quite common.

Everyone who buys a used car is getting "part worns", you don't have to be Einstien to see if a tyre is old, cracked, worn, split, dangerous.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 18:57   #19
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
C'est la vie? Well you asked for it 😄
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 18:59   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Which by definition will also have part worn brake components.....
In fact, come to think of it;
Even if you buy a NEW car, these components will be part worn.

So Leslie, 'by definition' are you saying that you are one of the people who buy their vehicle, and accept that it is all working correctly, even if it appears to be perfect? I come from the old school that, when buying a vehicle, I buy as good as I can ,both condition wise and appearance wise. I then take it home and start checking everything that can be checked, yes, including all brake components, steering,TYRES, change all fluids, filters, and especially underbody components. The fit of all things that open and shut. You name it, I check it. One thing I do when going with anyone for a Rover75/ZT , is I ask if they would mind if I remove the covering above the ECU. I have had some funny looks and questions of why, and have only been refused once, I and the person who I had gone with to have a look at a Rover75 just walked away. So yes,, if you lived near me, I would take you to have a look at some real world accidents waiting to happen. And I have to admit that I also have had something second hand off another car.....clutch pedal rubber off a Rover 45 to fit on the 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I get around the problem of tyres by having an "MOT set" of wheels.

When the original tyres on the car have worn through to the point where air is showing through, I simply stuff the casings with straw and carry on

I fit my own tyres, and that way I can be assured they've never been abused by careless tyre fitters, last ones were the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 fitted to my 11 spokes on Frosty

Brian
Brian. Don't the straw set on fire above about 30 mph? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Nothing wrong with used tyres. Only issue is with knackered/dangerous tyres.

Big used market in Germany, where people sell off their summers or winters at close to changeover time, if they have nowhere to store the others. Quite common.

Everyone who buys a used car is getting "part worns", you don't have to be Einstien to see if a tyre is old, cracked, worn, split, dangerous.
I have to get off this subject, but, I could take you to two places in Birmingham that would most definitely change your mind about tyres. All I can say is that if you think that it is ok to fit secondhand tyres to your car, don't get anywhere near me on the road if you don't mind.

Last edited by Dragrad; 24th January 2017 at 22:46.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote