Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2017, 20:14   #21
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

I never scrimp on tyres now, had too many bad experiences with cheap chinese and remoulds.
2nd hand tyres?, are they really worth the saving? Just buy new tyres online and get fitted at garage. Best option and usually cheapest.

Last edited by peelaaa; 21st January 2017 at 20:20..
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 21:12   #22
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

It's the damage you can't see that can also be really dangerous, after a period of under inflation. It does not always result in visible damage.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 23:15   #23
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
So Leslie, 'by definition' are you saying that you are one of the people who buy their vehicle, and accept that it is all working correctly, even if it appears to be perfect? I come from the old school that, when buying a vehicle, I buy as good as I can ,both condition wise and appearance wise. I then take it home and start checking everything that can be checked, yes, including all brake components, steering,TYRES, change all fluids, filters, and especially underbody components. The fit of all things that open and shut. You name it, I check it. One thing I do when going with anyone for a Rover75/ZT , is I ask if they would mind if I remove the covering above the ECU. I have had some funny looks and questions of why, and have only been refused once, I and the person who I had gone with to have a look at a Rover75 just walked away. So yes,, if you lived near me, I would take you to have a look at some real world accidents waiting to happen. And I have to admit that I also have had something second hand off another car.....clutch pedal rubber off a Rover 45 to fit on the 75.

Yes, I too check every component on my cars, not just when I buy them, but once every year, before submitting them for MOT. What I want to know, is what that has to do with fitting second hand tyres? Providing the tyres are carefully inspected both before and after fitting, there is not a reason in the world why you shouldn't use them. Do you replace all your tyres every time you hit a pot hole? Because the could certainly be damaged. In fact, I think it might be dangerous to be traveling 400 miles each month in a 10 year old car. You certainly wouldn't be allowed to use one as a taxi in most city's.
Over the top statements about the dangers of fitting second hand components does nobody any favours, because there are those out there that would love to make it compulsory to use only factory approved accessories, and I don't think I need tell you what that would mean for our cars.
I can't prove the fact, but I wouldn't mind betting that there are more accidents caused by cheap new tyres than by quality used items.
At the end of the day, what is it that most dangerous, is it the idiot that uses second hand tyres? Or the idiot behind the wheel?
And just for the record, I don't use second hand tyres either, but I don't see that I have any right to criticise those that do, provided they are fitted by professionals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 01:05   #24
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
All I can say is that if you think that it is ok to fit secondhand tyres to your car, don't get anywhere near me on the road if you don't mind.
This is a bit of a moronic statement to be honest.

The only time a tyre is new is when its on the shelf... every car on the road is running used tyres.

Like I said, private people sell sets of tyres for genuine reasons. If you happen to know some Brummy back street job, good for you, but then the same principle applies to anyone selling anything.

How about a secondhand car? You avoid them on the road too? :p

people are conflating remoulds with used tyres IMO.

Anyway plausible scenario for me, as it happened with me...

4 x Continental SportContact on the car.... All 30% worn, approx. so 5-6mm tread.

Hit a sharp metal bracket which WRECKED a tyre on the dual carriageway. Im not going to go and buy a brand new tyre for £150+ and have one new one and the others all getting low. Pointless. I like my tyres in pairs or sets, all with the same wear rate. So went online and got a perfect matching replacement, even down to the same depth, and was back with a 100% matching set, even down to the DOTs.

Perfectly acceptable to me, common sense.

Now if someone is buying tyres from ALIWAZ's REMOULDZ INNIT in Birmingham, thats a somewhat different scenario I think we can all agree.

Last edited by Dragrad; 24th January 2017 at 23:45.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:54   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The reason that I posted the link to the BBC article was to highlight a problem which may affect the unwary and the innocent amongst us or our contacts. Clearly, the tyre experts amngst us would not be caught out by poor or dangerous condition when they buy used tyres.

I was personally surprised at the statistics from trading standards. Evidently, there are a lot of people unknowingly buying dangerous tyres and I would hope that the majority here would advise cautions to people we know.

As for the follwoing line,

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

Now if someone is buying tyres from ALIWAZ's REMOULDZ INNIT in Birmingham, thats a somewhat different scenario I think we can all agree.
The statistics form trading standards would suggest that this problems is not limited to ALIWAZ and relations tyre outlets. I would say McQUALITY USED TYRES in the northern cities are equally likely to sell sub-standard tyres.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:39   #26
Polly
Posted a thing or two

I think perhaps we need a little clarity here, the BBC article claims 80% of part worn tyres, are sold illegally. In fact, a different source would put that figure higher at 98%.
The question is though, what does that figure actually mean? Again, the BBC article shows two examples of dangerous tyres, which quite honestly, no self respecting tyre fitter would even touch. Now, bearing in mind that the tyre fitter has a legal responsibility to ensure that any tyre he fits is safe, and suitable for purpose, where do those ridiculously high failure rates originate from?
Might it be simply that they don't have the appropriate EU label? And since, in order to comply, that label must be indelibly burned into the carcass of the tyre, I think I would prefer mine not to be marked.
In much the same way that the motor manufacturers brainwashed everyone into believing that we could save the planet by rushing out and replacing our perfectly sound cars with nice new diesel ones, here we have the tyre industry telling us that we should buy new tyres every week. If you drive everywhere at the absolute limit of adhesion, then perhaps they have a point, but there is an alternative way of getting from A to B, that doesn't require optimum grip.

Old 22nd January 2017, 15:56   #27
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I think perhaps we need a little clarity here, the BBC article claims 80% of part worn tyres, are sold illegally. In fact, a different source would put that figure higher at 98%.
The question is though, what does that figure actually mean? Again, the BBC article shows two examples of dangerous tyres, which quite honestly, no self respecting tyre fitter would even touch. Now, bearing in mind that the tyre fitter has a legal responsibility to ensure that any tyre he fits is safe, and suitable for purpose, where do those ridiculously high failure rates originate from?
Might it be simply that they don't have the appropriate EU label? And since, in order to comply, that label must be indelibly burned into the carcass of the tyre, I think I would prefer mine not to be marked.
In much the same way that the motor manufacturers brainwashed everyone into believing that we could save the planet by rushing out and replacing our perfectly sound cars with nice new diesel ones, here we have the tyre industry telling us that we should buy new tyres every week. If you drive everywhere at the absolute limit of adhesion, then perhaps they have a point, but there is an alternative way of getting from A to B, that doesn't require optimum grip.

Some good points however I am confident in saying that although I do hope I don't need to carry out an emergency stop or evasive action that requires optimum grip, my tyres are the best I can afford- winter and normal- and will perform better than a set of part worn tyres from any source.

🏓

Last edited by Leyland Worldmaster; 22nd January 2017 at 16:00.. Reason: Tyred badgers.
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:28   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Interesting contribution - I realy don't understand why you are taking such a black/white position on the matter.

There is no need to start guessng with "maybe" etc. when the detailed facts are all available from the LGA and the councils concerned. See the following link.

http://www.local.gov.uk/web/guest/me...0/8171490/NEWS

Please note that the facts are from Trading Standards, not the BBC. The BBC article is a slimmed down version of the LGA article above.

The comment about the fitter's legal responsibilities is interesting as I am not certain how relevant/comforting it would be when some youngster has been run over by a car due to defective tyres.

My own observation - this is my first and only observation in this thread - is that if one looks at MOT histories of cars for sale, a lot of drivers clearly drive around with dangerous and illegal tyres as evidenced by MOT failures due to tyre defects. So, pretending that this is a made up problem seems to me to be a serious shortfall in judgement and a lack of willingness to accept reality.

Last edited by MSS; 22nd January 2017 at 18:30..
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:41   #29
Polly
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Interesting contribution - I realy don't understand why you are taking such a black/white position on the matter.

There is no need to start guessng with "maybe" etc. when the detailed facts are all available from the LGA and the councils concerned. See the following link.

http://www.local.gov.uk/web/guest/me...0/8171490/NEWS

Please note that the facts are from Trading Standards, not the BBC. The BBC article is a slimmed down version of the LGA article above.

The comment about the fitter's legal responsibilities is interesting as I am not certain how relevant/comforting it would be when some youngster has been run over by a car due to defective tyres.

My own observation - this is my first and only observation in this thread - is that if one looks at MOT histories of cars for sale, a lot of drivers clearly drive around with dangerous and illegal tyres as evidenced by MOT failures due to tyre defects. So, pretending that this is a made up problem seems to me to be a serious shortfall in judgement and a lack of willingness to accept reality.

I don't think I am the one taking the black/ white view, I'm not the one saying it's a crime and a danger to the public to fit part worn tyres. I merely seek to point out, that if a little common sense, and a responsible tyre fitter is employed, it might be better to fit a quality part worn tyre, than a cheap new one.
In order to get the trading standards figures into perspective, you have to consider which traders were inspected. If you target rogue traders, you can expect rogue results.
I'll put it another way if you like, are all the tyres/wheels offered for sale on this forum dangerous?

Old 22nd January 2017, 21:59   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
I don't think I am the one taking the black/ white view, I'm not the one saying it's a crime and a danger to the public to fit part worn tyres. I merely seek to point out, that if a little common sense, and a responsible tyre fitter is employed, it might be better to fit a quality part worn tyre, than a cheap new one.
In order to get the trading standards figures into perspective, you have to consider which traders were inspected. If you target rogue traders, you can expect rogue results.
I'll put it another way if you like, are all the tyres/wheels offered for sale on this forum dangerous?

Well, I do enjoy a good debate, so let's continue.

Let's look at the TS numbers for Brent and Harrow. Extract from the LGA website follows.

"Brent and Harrow
Brent and Harrow Trading Standards officers, along with an expert from the National Tyre Distributors Association and charity TyreSafe, found that only two of 12 second-hand tyres bought from 12 different traders met legally acceptable standards, while at least six of them had defects that could pose a serious safety risk if they were put back on a car. Over half of the tyres inspected were over eight years old, with the oldest tyre 17 years old. Although all the traders had been visited and advised by Trading Standards officers before the test purchases were made, many had ignored the advice. Revisits to the worst traders led to two seizures of unsafe tyres. A trader is now being prosecuted as a result.

So, the sample tyres were purchased from 12 different traders. Given the size of Brent and Harrow, I would say that number probably represents a very large proportion of the used tyre traders in the area, if not the majority. With 80% of the purchased tyres being defective, I would have said that this represents a situation that wararnts caution on the part of potential purchasers. I doubt that the 12 tyres purchased by TS represented the totality of defective stock that could be purchased by members of the public in the area. Even if it did, it represents as a minimum 10 individuals at risk due to the defective used tyres sold on the market.

How can any reasonable person argue that this should not be a cause for concern?

Last edited by MSS; 23rd January 2017 at 06:53..