Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2017, 09:01   #1
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts
Default One step forward two steps back.

Hi.
2016 was not the best year for me regarding health, what with my double bypass, knee joint, then a rash added to depression I was looking forward to this year.
One thing since the bypass was my heart rate, it could be as low as 38bpm sitting down but could suddenly rise to 150bpm for no reason. My GP thought I'd need a pacemaker but before he would make a referral he decided to halve my dose of beta-blockers within a few days my heart rate at rest was up to 46-47bpm and the occurrences of the racing have stopped....... a good result I would say which lifted my spirits no end
On the 16th of December I had a consultation with my orthopaedic surgeon's second in command, he said "Oh yes I can feel the grinding in your knee and the wear in your joint and can see you are not able to straighten your leg" I was X-rayed yet again but he then said he wont do the operation due to the risk involved because of my heart. I explained that my heart wasn't the problem when I fell in a busy street nor the times it's given way on the stairs!!!! Since then I have been back to the GP to get stronger pain killers as that was the consultants only suggestion, the GP though said I should get a second opinion and feels I have not had the correct advice especially as an MRI done in 2012 showed considerable wear and a worn meniscus....... So a step back

Yesterday I had an appointment at the dermatology clinic, a different doctor to the last time, within a few minutes he told me he reckoned I have two separate skin issues, severe Eczema on the leg where the graft was removed from and dermatitis herpetiformis on my arms, upper legs and torso, this needs to confirmed by biopsy but he then went on to say it is likely I may have coeliac disease too if the biopsy is positive. This actually explains why I have over the last few months had periods of constipation, diarrhoea and stomach bloating which the GP put down to IBS....... So this is the second step back
I'm now battling with fears my depression will worsen, fingers crossed it doesn't.

I'm now thinking that thoughts of fixing up MFL in my spare time is pointless, I'm not physically fit and run out of steam quickly, plus we both need a holiday and putting money out on her that in all truthfulness would have to be scraped together would be silly.
I'll give it some thought and make up my mind over the next week.

So for me 2017 seems just like a continuation of 2016

Last edited by murphyv310; 22nd January 2017 at 09:07..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:07   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i am sorry to hear of your woes.as a heart patient myself i understand how you feel.one thing i can add tho.regarding your stomach problems i had the same.and i too thought i had ibs.until i had a chat with my chemist it turned out the cause of my issues where good old aspirin .worth looking into,
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:51   #3
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Blimey Trevor, you've had it rough.
If MFL is not in your way or taking up room, maybe it could be some sort of release for you to just 'potter' about with. Maybe take your mind off other things, just tinker with it when you feel up to it.
Then again, a holiday would probably benefit you more

Anyway, best wishes mate, I hope things start to improve for you.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:28   #4
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Jesus Trevor by the sounds of it you've gone through a major battle.

Hope things will improve and your able too work on your classic motor.
If you need a good laugh you know where too find us.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:37   #5
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Hello.

Hi Trevor, it seems like you're getting issues you didn't reckon on getting. I'd say for the skin problem you need some oil of oilatum to put in the bath, it lubricates the skin as you bathe in it and will help with the dryness. The digestion problems are also small ones in reality, it just means you're careful with food and it becomes normal. If I eat out it has to be simple and so I just have a plate of chips, I have no choice if I can't trust what's in the meals on the menu. I developed Ulcerative Colitis in 1993 and it changed my life, I had my last attack of it in 1998 and it was down to diet changes.
It's nothing compared to what you've been through, and the worst seems to be behind you. As for depression, I was there in 1993 and I developed a hard shell after that. Nothing can ever get me that far down again, it's just a bend in the road we walk upon.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:59   #6
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
2016 was not the best year for me regarding health, what with my double bypass, knee joint, then a rash added to depression I was looking forward to this year.
One thing since the bypass was my heart rate, it could be as low as 38bpm sitting down but could suddenly rise to 150bpm for no reason. My GP thought I'd need a pacemaker but before he would make a referral he decided to halve my dose of beta-blockers within a few days my heart rate at rest was up to 46-47bpm and the occurrences of the racing have stopped....... a good result I would say which lifted my spirits no end
On the 16th of December I had a consultation with my orthopaedic surgeon's second in command, he said "Oh yes I can feel the grinding in your knee and the wear in your joint and can see you are not able to straighten your leg" I was X-rayed yet again but he then said he wont do the operation due to the risk involved because of my heart. I explained that my heart wasn't the problem when I fell in a busy street nor the times it's given way on the stairs!!!! Since then I have been back to the GP to get stronger pain killers as that was the consultants only suggestion, the GP though said I should get a second opinion and feels I have not had the correct advice especially as an MRI done in 2012 showed considerable wear and a worn meniscus....... So a step back

Yesterday I had an appointment at the dermatology clinic, a different doctor to the last time, within a few minutes he told me he reckoned I have two separate skin issues, severe Eczema on the leg where the graft was removed from and dermatitis herpetiformis on my arms, upper legs and torso, this needs to confirmed by biopsy but he then went on to say it is likely I may have coeliac disease too if the biopsy is positive. This actually explains why I have over the last few months had periods of constipation, diarrhoea and stomach bloating which the GP put down to IBS....... So this is the second step back
I'm now battling with fears my depression will worsen, fingers crossed it doesn't.

I'm now thinking that thoughts of fixing up MFL in my spare time is pointless, I'm not physically fit and run out of steam quickly, plus we both need a holiday and putting money out on her that in all truthfulness would have to be scraped together would be silly.
I'll give it some thought and make up my mind over the next week.

So for me 2017 seems just like a continuation of 2016
Hi Trevor
First of all go on holiday and take stock of the situation and all your options regarding your health ( more important than anything else )

I am sure the traders and members of this forum would be more than willing to assist with the work / parts needed for MFL .
I am not talking about charity ! Just some help and assistance so you have something to look forward to when you are feeling a little better .

Kind regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:27   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Chin up Trevor.
If the rest of your family are fine then it`s a case of "look after number one"
Holiday sounds good, as posted by my friend Steveo.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:08   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

OH Trevor. I do feel for you being an old codger myself.

Those Beta Blockers almost did you in. They slowed your heart to such an extent that your nervous system had a fit and raised your heart rate.

I had a Stent fitted and they gave me those Blockers. After a few days every time I got up I started to fall over.

I went back to the doctors. A nurse checked me and suddenly dashed off in a sort of rush. She came back a few minutes later and said whatever you do STOP taking those pills. My pulse rate was so slow it had almost stopped.--

As for the stomach. I always eat plenty of roughage in the form of cereals.

Weetabix. muesli etc. Very nourishing and easy on your insides.

Eczema. Yep, got it on my left leg. Fucibet cream cures it.

Don't give up on tinkering around. It is GOOD therapy. It helps to stop depression and gives you something to think about.

Doing nothing will only make you dwell on your problems.

Keep your chin up. Being positive does help.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:19   #9
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Hi Trevor just catching up on things.
Really sorry to hear this you've had a tough run recently & I hope things start to pick up for you. Get yourself & the good lady away on a wee break it'll do yous the world of good.
Also spotted MFL is sold really sorry it came to that & I was going to offer to stick it at mine & I could have tinkered away at fixing it for you.

I'm only up the road of you need a natter.
Old 24th January 2017, 10:04   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement
I'm actually hoping the biopsy is positive when I get it, for many years I've suffered stomach problems and it looks like it could well be Gluten intolerance. The diet looks grim but the relief from scratching and the possibility the stomach issues clear up is well worth sticking to it rigidly.
The other positive is the heart rate is now fine and as "Colvert" says I can now get up without being dizzy.
MFL had to go, I would have been depressed seeing her sitting without attention and although I have enough cash from a pension to get a much newer car with a decent guarantee I wont have much left once we get a break and a new bed that is well over due.
Work wise I have no idea of the future, I'm nearly 63 and the GP is concerned about my knee, depression and an anomaly still seen on my ECG, that added to this recent addition, work is extremely worrying, who wants a clapped out 63 year old whose trade has long gone?